• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Bz - Midseason Report

#BuzzIn or #BuzzOut?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The #1 reason to be Buzzout at this point is not his record. It's not his recruiting. It's not his personality.

The #1 reason to be Buzzout is nothing he has done or hasn't done or anything that happened in the ACC. The #1 reason for being Buzzout is to set up the Deacs for the next 20-30 years. We are very lucky.

It's all about timing. Maybe hiring [Redacted] was the luckiest thing that ever happened other than Chris King playing pick-up in the Virgin Islands. Had we signed an up comer, we might have done OK. But right now we have a chance that fell into our laps not of our doing.

The combination of ACC getting Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and Notre Dame effectively ended the Big East. The Catholic Seven has a $500M Fox Sports contract waiting for them to add five teams. A minimum of three will come from the A-10(Dayton, Xavier, St. Joe's/Butler). It could be all five (St. Joe's or Butler plaus LaSalle, St. Louis or another).

With this happening VCU basically becomes a team without a conference rather part of a burgeoning conference. Shaka can see the writing on the wall. He knows his upside at VCU is basically over.

Unless UCLA folds, it's likely Howland will stay. Wake will be the best job available. Add that we have a very, very good freshman class and probable Burger Boy committed. It's a perfect situation.

Look it may not be fair if the Deacs win 6-8 ACC games but fair doesn't fill the Joel. Fair doesn't get you to a Final Four.

The reality is the stars are aligning for us to get a generational coach. These stars weren't in place as recently as this September. There have been mighty changes since then.

We need to act and pay the piper. We need to do this as soon as the season ends.

Who are all of these newbie posters coming out of the woodwork to vote for Bz? The AD is giving Moonz a run in the competition for most fake accounts it seems.

The #1 reason to be Buzzout at this point is not his record. It's not his recruiting. It's not his personality.

The #1 reason to be Buzzout is nothing he has done or hasn't done or anything that happened in the ACC. The #1 reason for being Buzzout is to set up the Deacs for the next 20-30 years. We are very lucky.

It's all about timing. Maybe hiring [Redacted] was the luckiest thing that ever happened other than Chris King playing pick-up in the Virgin Islands. Had we signed an up comer, we might have done OK. But right now we have a chance that fell into our laps not of our doing.

The combination of ACC getting Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and Notre Dame effectively ended the Big East. The Catholic Seven has a $500M Fox Sports contract waiting for them to add five teams. A minimum of three will come from the A-10(Dayton, Xavier, St. Joe's/Butler). It could be all five (St. Joe's or Butler plaus LaSalle, St. Louis or another).

With this happening VCU basically becomes a team without a conference rather part of a burgeoning conference. Shaka can see the writing on the wall. He knows his upside at VCU is basically over.

Unless UCLA folds, it's likely Howland will stay. Wake will be the best job available. Add that we have a very, very good freshman class and probable Burger Boy committed. It's a perfect situation.

Look it may not be fair if the Deacs win 6-8 ACC games but fair doesn't fill the Joel. Fair doesn't get you to a Final Four.

The reality is the stars are aligning for us to get a generational coach. These stars weren't in place as recently as this September. There have been mighty changes since then.

We need to act and pay the piper. We need to do this as soon as the season ends.

I agree with your comments about things moving in our favor to get a coach like Smart, but there is no chance in hell that Wellman will fire Buzz if he wins 6-8 games in the ACC this season. In fact, it is likely that Wellman would extend him under those circumstances.

I voted Buzzdick out, as is my wont. Didn't see the game yesterday because was at a friends watching the playoffs. But so far we've lost the toughest game on our ACC slate and won (what I put in my confidence picks) the 2 easiest games on our ACC slate (almost blowing both late). I've agreed we've improved to the point where we've become as mediocre as BC, the Techs, Clemson.... And I like our freshmen and think most of them will be good pieces to the puzzle moving forward. But to me, the amount of excitement some are showing here (and many on TOB) is disproportional to what we're achieving. We should win somewhere between 5-8 ACC games after a poor OOC performance. We'll have a losing record overall and won't sniff the NIT. In Year 3 of the Buzzdick Era. Balancing the loss of CJ v. 2 potentially decent frosh coming in and some improvement across the board, we may get a little above .500 and challenge for an NIT bid next year. Yet there seems to be more excitement now than there was when Dino (and I was no big fan of Dino's) was taking us to and imploding in the NCAA Tourney.

I really don't get a significant part of our fan base and am starting to think more and more we should dump the ACC and petition for Southern Conference membership.

I agree with your comments about things moving in our favor to get a coach like Smart, but there is no chance in hell that Wellman will fire Buzz if he wins 6-8 games in the ACC this season. In fact, it is likely that Wellman would extend him under those circumstances.

I agree that Wellman will likely extend him after this season.

Not a coach "like" Smart. Exactly Smart.

What's happening is unprecedented. One giant league has disintegrated and a league on the way to becoming a major force in college is very likely to be dismembered leaving a exceptional young coach without a top league.

Six ACC wins is borderline as we will only have a total 13 total wins and a .333 winning percentage in a weak year. Eight wins and he will be retained. Either is too bad for [Redacted] if Shaka would say yes.

I agree with you totally RJ, but to carry out that scenario Wake would have to have a visionary as an AD, and Wellman isn't that guy. Never. Just more reason we need change at the top before we can hope for meaningful coaching changes.

I would be BuzzOut, as would everyone I hope, if Shaka Smart was a realistic option for the Deacs. Short of that or a near-equivalent, I'm BuzzWait. We're getting better and winning games with 3 freshman starting. We're seeing a confidence grow in the players and most are starting to get it. I think we have 8 or 9 more potential wins on our schedule. I would not see a compelling reason to get rid of the coach if we end up being between 8-10 and 10-8 in our league unless RJ is really onto something.

How would anyone even know if we extended an offer to Shaka if the alternative was to stick with [Redacted]? I'm sure it'd be kept quiet, and Wellman would deny it if it got mentioned.

I would be BuzzOut, as would everyone I hope, if Shaka Smart was a realistic option for the Deacs. Short of that or a near-equivalent, I'm BuzzWait. We're getting better and winning games with 3 freshman starting. We're seeing a confidence grow in the players and most are starting to get it. I think we have 8 or 9 more potential wins on our schedule. I would not see a compelling reason to get rid of the coach if we end up being between 8-10 and 10-8 in our league unless RJ is really onto something.

If we have even seven more wins, there is no discussion whether [Redacted] stays.

The confluence of all the factors I mentioned, along with Shaka's wish not be lost a bball factory, puts Wake in a great place to get him. We had a decent shot before the season. What's happened since is almost too good to be true for us.

unless Bz takes us to the final 4 i will forever be BzOut. and even if that does happen, which we all know it won't, i still won't like the man. he is uptight and pretentious, refuses to reach out and gain the confidence of the fan-base, consistently makes excuses after saying he won't make excuses, throws his players under the bus, and hasn't shown that he can even keep players from transferring away. i'm sorry but this is not the man to lead us. don't get me wrong, i'm still going to cheer for the Deacs and get excited when we win (even if it is at home against BC) but if you think the last few weeks completely undo everything that man has done over the last 2 and a half years you are crazy.

Last edited:
unless Bz takes us to the final 4 i will forever be BzOut. and even if that does happen, which we all know it won't, i still won't like the man. he is uptight and pretentious, refuses to reach out and gain the confidence of the fan-base, consistently makes excuses after saying he won't make excuses, throws his players under the bus, and hasn't shown that he can even keep players from transferring away. i'm sorry but this is not the man to lead us. don't get me wrong, i'm still going to cheer for the Deacs and get excited when we win (even if it is at home against BC) but if you think the last few weeks completely undone everything that man has done over the last 2 and a half years you are crazy.

Agree with all this.

Also, let's not lose sight of the fact that CJ and Travis accounted for 47 of our 75 points yesterday (that's 63%).

Zero chance Shaka Smart ever coaches at WF while Wellman is AD.

I'm impressed by how much progress #BuzzIn has made over the half season. Please note I'm not saying I'm impressed by Bz's progress, just that prior polls only had errors and the 2-5 fringe members of the #Buzzin crowd. As of when I just checked, there's a legit number supporting him.

Have we made progress this year? Absolutely. But what is that progress? It's beating bad to mediocre teams at home. Sadly, that really is significant progress, relatively, from the prior 2 seasons, but not good "year 3" progress in the absolute sense.

Still, I remain #BzOut because, as Bill Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are".

Unfortunately, 8 wins is quite possible and not only would that embolden Wellman to hold his line, but it may even get Bz ACC COY consideration, which would probably entrench him for another 3+ years.

I'm impressed by how much progress #BuzzIn has made over the half season. Please note I'm not saying I'm impressed by Bz's progress, just that prior polls only had errors and the 2-5 fringe members of the #Buzzin crowd. As of when I just checked, there's a legit number supporting him.

Have we made progress this year? Absolutely. But what is that progress? It's beating bad to mediocre teams at home. Sadly, that really is significant progress, relatively, from the prior 2 seasons, but not good "year 3" progress in the absolute sense.

Still, I remain #BzOut because, as Bill Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are".

Unfortunately, 8 wins is quite possible and not only would that embolden Wellman to hold his line, but it may even get Bz ACC COY consideration, which would probably entrench him for another 3+ years.

How many people legit voted BuzzIn? Half of this board's users are parodies and I can really only think of a handful of people who are BuzzIn. I blame my big fingers and a really good stout for last night's debacle.

How many people legit voted BuzzIn? Half of this board's users are parodies and I can really only think of a handful of people who are BuzzIn. I blame my big fingers and a really good stout for last night's debacle.

Maybe not this board, but TOB seems like a majority of Buzzdickinners.

Zero chance Shaka Smart ever coaches at WF while Wellman is AD.

Unfortunately I believe you are correct. Which is why they both need to go. Yesterday. But I don't think that happens. I have upgraded us from 5 to 6, maybe 7, ACC Ws, both given our improvement and after seeing the crap that is BC, VT, UVA, UNC, Clemson, GT and FSU. I see Dick and State winning 14+ each and MD and maybe Miami scaring double digits. I think everyone else is in that 5-8 win range.

Even with only 5-6 ACC wins, I see little chance Wellman fires Buzzdick. And it's getting near the point where you have to give him an extension if you're going to keep him in order to allow him a chance to recruit. Maybe not this year, but definitely next year. And if we win 13-15 this year and 15-17 next year, I don't see how Wellman doesn't extend him. And given the insanity of this hire and the apparent shackles that Wellman is putting on our program, even if he were to fire Buzzdick, I don't see a high profile guy like Shaka being willing to come here and work for Ron.

My concern is that Bz gets retained on the basis of a mediocre season, CJ graduates, Travis leaves and next year is a disaster.

Back