• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State Of The Program

Deacon93

Reaction score
I think it’s time to debate the strategy of putting a team together with the transfer portal. 3 years, Forbes has gone to the portal to get a team together for the upcoming season. All 3 years, we’ve failed to make the tournament. The strategy is clearly not working. How do you expect a team to gel and develop when they’ve only had one season with each other. It’s time to pay these players to stay. We need to throw whatever money at Hunter to keep him outta the draft. If Carolina can keep Bacot for 5 years, we should be able to get Sallis for two! Also, you aren’t going to find bench players in the portal. We have no bench, which cost us the season!

sure you can find bench and role players in the portal.

I don’t think you can say the strategy is clearly not working. We have had the talent to get to the NCAAs at least two of the last three years. Players were fleeing the sinking Manning ship in droves, even guys who had eligibility left were like NOPE.

Without the portal we would be a lot worse than we are. It’s also clearly the future of college bball.

I don’t think you can say the strategy is clearly not working. We have had the talent to get to the NCAAs at least two of the last three years. Players were fleeing the sinking Manning ship in droves, even guys who had eligibility left were like NOPE.

Without the portal we would be a lot worse than we are. It’s also clearly the future of college bball.
Our play in the last 2 weeks of those seasons dictated our fate. We were every bit as good as numerous NCAA teams and HAD the resume but blew it down the stretch. If you told me after Duke that we were going to beat Clemson there was no way we'd miss the tournament. But somehow we did.

I think the portal strategy does work, but we lack depth and that is causing the fall off. So we need a slight modification to also find bench players in the portal in addition to what we have been getting,

The program is so much better than it was for the 10 years before Forbes, period. Sadly, finishing 5th in the ACC, which used to be a top 6 seed, is meaningless anymore and we have to make the next step, but Forbes has at least two more years to figure the next step out. I'm still not happy about where we are, but at least its not where we were.

Our play in the last 2 weeks of those seasons dictated our fate. We were every bit as good as numerous NCAA teams and HAD the resume but blew it down the stretch. If you told me after Duke that we were going to beat Clemson there was no way we'd miss the tournament. But somehow we did.
We really only won two games that mattered, Florida and Duke. Every other time we had a chance to make a statement we stepped on our collective dicks. The last two weeks finished us off, but the schedule is littered with "what if" games.

We really only won two games that mattered, Florida and Duke. Every other time we had a chance to make a statement we stepped on our collective dicks. The last two weeks finished us off, but the schedule is littered with "what if" games.
Right. This is the way to look at it. Winning more games that mattered would have given us more of a cushion for tough losses.

Right. This is the way to look at it. Winning more games that mattered would have given us more of a cushion for tough losses.

And this is exactly what Forbes has said about "winning the right games."

We didn't win enough of them.

I don’t think the HC can necessarily get a pass on our depth issues, but we have had several unexpected departures and injuries that I think do require consideration. This is probably our strongest chance to bring back almost a full starting lineup in the Forbes era. That is huge. Of course, we have to pull it off and keep the keepable players.

I don’t think the HC can necessarily get a pass on our depth issues, but we have had several unexpected departures and injuries that I think do require consideration. This is probably our strongest chance to bring back almost a full starting lineup in the Forbes era. That is huge. Of course, we have to pull it off and keep the keepable players.
Right - we were counting on Ituka being a servicable backup and Monsanto being a sniper off the bench. Neither materialized. I can liken the backup PG to Kamari McGee on Wisconsin. He got hurt and they imploded. Even though he isn't some great player, spelling Hepburn mattered more than I understood. McGee is back now and they got to the B10 finals.

On top of that Bobi bailed pretty late to go play bball in fucking Australia over Wake Forest. That’s a statement about the ‘state of the program.’ Not sure who was really still available at the time, but obviously Canka didn’t see much playing time this year. Hopefully our NIL situation is better prepared this offseason as they have been saying and we can retain what we have and add to it.

Things better than the start of the Forbes era
  • NIL up and running
  • Mit Shah's influence
  • We have a higher floor of W/Ls
  • Legit case studies of portal success to sell to other portal guys

We still need to figure out
  • In-game coaching (better bench staff?)
  • Road/neutral performance not nearly strong enough
  • Scheduling
  • Perceived/real weakness of the ACC is taking bids away
  • Keeping our best players each off-season

We haven't done much to drive national attention yet, but we are slowly becoming more relevant. If nothing else, our fan-base was more engaged this season that I have seen since the Prosser/Dino era.

Yup. Idk how competitive we’d be without the portal. Probably bottom third of the ACC these last few years

Would hope Coach Forbes provides his assessment of this past season and what his plans are for the future. Be good to get his take sometime this Spring.

Would hope Coach Forbes provides his assessment of this past season and what his plans are for the future. Be good to get his take sometime this Spring.

As I posted on another thread.... I would hope he has the self-awareness to realize that he needs to make the NCAAT next season or it might be time to part ways. We shall see.

I have seen a lot of comments about our starters wearing out at the end of the year due to lack of depth and I don’t buy it. Carolina’s starters play virtually the same amount of minutes per game as ours. Now I guess you can argue that we have a big drop off in our bench players but I don’t think our starters playing too many minutes vs other quality programs is the concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back