• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State's next coach?

It's really frustrating watching similar stature schools to Wake upgrade coaches. BC and Clemson both did great jobs last year and I predict State and Tech will do the same this year. Also, UVa has a great coach. UNC, MD, and Duke obviously have their good coaches as well. Miami, FSU, VPI all seem to have pretty good coaches. Then you have us, stuck with the Bzzzkill.

Miami and VT have mediocre coaches imho. They, combined with [Redacted], are the new bottom of the ACC.

Mediocre yet they still seem to beat us time and time again.

Well, it helps that the one thing Greenberg is really good at is manipulating the officials.

Normally people say the officiating is bad but it was just one of many factors impacting the game. Well in 2010 at Blacksburg it was the factor that prevented us from winning. No question in my mind that a fairly called game would have resulted in a Deacon victory.

Well, it helps that the one thing Greenberg is really good at is manipulating the officials.

Normally people say the officiating is bad but it was just one of many factors impacting the game. Well in 2010 at Blacksburg it was the factor that prevented us from winning. No question in my mind that a fairly called game would have resulted in a Deacon victory.

I completely agree with that. Thanks for bringing it back up though, I had almost forgotten about that game.

I completely agree with that. Thanks for bringing it back up though, I had almost forgotten about that game.

I drove up to Blacksburg in fucking February for that game. I am not letting anyone ever forget it.

Fair enough. It still wasn't as bad as the one at the Joel in '09.

Eh, I don't feel as bad about that one since we really did play like shit, officiating aside.

We had one of our best halves of the season in that 2010 game, but the bloody refs decided they wanted VT to win.

The embarrassment of the one in '09 was worse for me. It proved to the world that we could not hold a #1 ranking.

I don't see NC State getting Donovan either, its too good a gig at UF to give up. He's poised to make another run into the tournament and, if he has a mediocre season in the future, he's at a football school.

You can't blame them for trying though, even if they will probably end up with someone from a mid-major

Billy Donovan is making close to $3.4 million at Florida (minus incentives). I know State has a bunch of cash to throw around, but I just can't see them being able to up the ante enough to get him to leave UF. Even if he's not getting along with Foley (and I bet another Final Four run would change that), he's still in a great situation - as others have said, good fan support in the o-dome, but a mediocre or even bad season is not going to get him fired or even on the hot seat.

The main turning point in that game was Greenberg changed defenses. Dino kept his thumb up his ass as usual, making no adjustment whatsoever. As a result, our double digit lead went away like a fart in the wind.

Don't we hope NCSU hires a big-name coach? Won't that (a) raise the profile of the ACC in general and, more importantly (b) increase the pressure on Wellman/WFU to move on from Bzz more quickly? State has had their time of misery - I am fine with them getting a good coach, and I think it could help Wake in the short and long run.

The main turning point in that game was Greenberg changed defenses. Dino kept his thumb up his ass as usual, making no adjustment whatsoever. As a result, our double digit lead went away like a fart in the wind.

Disagree entirely.

We continued to score at a respectable clip, but any attempts to slow down VT resulted in a whistle so they outscored us.

Don't we hope NCSU hires a big-name coach? Won't that (a) raise the profile of the ACC in general and, more importantly (b) increase the pressure on Wellman/WFU to move on from Bzz more quickly? State has had their time of misery - I am fine with them getting a good coach, and I think it could help Wake in the short and long run.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. The ACC needs more elite high-profile coaches and more title-contending programs. Enough of this 4-bid stuff and only getting on ESPN when we play UNC or Duke. And if the Big 4 coaching landscape is K, Roy, Donovan or Barnes, and [Redacted], then yea, I'd think the pressure would increase tenfold on [Redacted] and Wellman to figure this thing out pretty damn quick.

Back