• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State's next coach?

I am now officially concerned that Shaka Smart could be the next NCSU coach. It seems like a no brainer for the pack. They can definitely pay Smart more than VCU.

Donovan turned down UK, right? Just seems weird that his name comes up regularly. Our own DS insiders tossed his name along with Izzo's last year.

I am now officially concerned that Shaka Smart could be the next NCSU coach. It seems like a no brainer for the pack. They can definitely pay Smart more than VCU.

Fine with me. Just brings more non-UNC-or-Duke-related hype to the ACC and more pressure on Wellman / [Redacted] to produce results.

UT just hired Cuozno Martin from Missouri State as their new head coach. What other big jobs besides State are left to be filled?

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. The ACC needs more elite high-profile coaches and more title-contending programs. Enough of this 4-bid stuff and only getting on ESPN when we play UNC or Duke. And if the Big 4 coaching landscape is K, Roy, Donovan or Barnes, and [Redacted], then yea, I'd think the pressure would increase tenfold on [Redacted] and Wellman to figure this thing out pretty damn quick.

I agree too. A rising tide lifts all boats. One of the main reasons the SEC is the SEC in football is because of the Mount Rushmore of coaches they continue to assemble to keep up with the Joneses.

BUT. That only works if you have the Pres/AD with the stones (TBD), and the funds to support it. That's why I continue my annual 10% increase in my Deacon Club giving, as painful as it is given the state of affairs.

I have a better chance to be coaching State next fall than Donovan.

Didn't you also state in an very unequivocal way that Colorado was going to make the NCAA Tourney?

Although I don't think it's likely that Donovan would leave Florida for State, it certainly is possible. I hope it happens. The reputation of the ACC has been damaged over the last few years. An influx of high profile coaches might help to restore the status of our conference.

The ACC isn't going to get the last generation of great coaches. It's just not going to happen. The time has past while the ACC made sloppy hires. The key is making great hires among the new generation of great coaches. Brad and Shaka are probably off the table for the other 10 ACC schools, but we need to identify the next Brad and Shaka.

That Is Sad!

Heard it's down to Gregory or Doug Wojcik for GT.

GT has a new arena for 2012-13 and a shitload of talent in Georgia to recruit from and that is the best they can do??? Kind of surprised they got stiffed by Mooney so quickly.

I really like Donovan but holy cow he got out coached by Stevens. I mean, Florida's decision making over the last five minutes, the plays they ran out of timeouts ... Dino-esque.

GT has a new arena for 2012-13 and a shitload of talent in Georgia to recruit from and that is the best they can do??? Kind of surprised they got stiffed by Mooney so quickly.

Completely hamstrung by the Hewitt buyout. Gregory could be a bridge guy, but Hewitt bottomed out at the worst possible time.

In true State form, they are going to hire actress Jean Smart.

Isn't that close to Shaka?

Do those players like GTech or was it because Hewitt was a good recruiter? GTech didn't have tons of talent in Cremin's final years

So why are we afraid of a guy who has finished 5th and 4th in the CAA in his 2 years. Seems to be a great tourney coach (won the CBI last year), but it will be interesting to see if he can actually...you know...coach. Running up and down the sidelines is great, but he'll need a top notch staff.

Bilas tweeted that they've hit 12+ threes in 3 of their 5 tournament games. They hadn't done that all year. Sometimes a team just plays out of their skin.

Back