• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stay John Collins!

The thing about Collins wanting to see his jersey hanging from the rafters was an actual quote from a post-game interview with Stan earlier in the season. Stan asked if he would go pro, and he basically said that he hadn't decided, but it was a choice between being immediately rich (even though he said his mom and family don't need the money) or becoming a wake legend and getting his jersey up in the rafters. Didn't mention his preference, but it certainly suggested he was conscious of his legacy.

I don't think the recent rumor -- that he'd stay if he wasn't in the lottery -- has been at all substantiated. Best just to think he's gone and be pleasantly surprised if he stays.

http://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/on...04/bobby-knight-has-been-a-horrible-15642368/

You could easily plug DTrump's name into this take and it would apply the same way

.....throwing chairs at refs, once threw in officer in Puerto Rico into a trash can,”

LOL. You can tell that this guy really knows what he is talking about.

There have been idiots like this writing ridiculous crap about Bob Knight for 40 years...and just like this guy who has all the different stories he has been fed completely mixed up....don't have the first fucking idea what they are talking about.

.....throwing chairs at refs, once threw in officer in Puerto Rico into a trash can,”

LOL. You can tell that this guy really knows what he is talking about.

There have been idiots like this writing ridiculous crap about Bob Knight for 40 years...and just like this guy who has all the different stories he has been fed completely mixed up....don't have the first fucking idea what they are talking about.

"This guy" is just one of the leading announcers in his profession. If you didn't spend your life living in the 70's you might have heard of him but that's probably asking too much of ole BKF. But hey maybe there's hope you did use a texting abbreviation people used within the last decade......

The thing about Collins wanting to see his jersey hanging from the rafters was an actual quote from a post-game interview with Stan earlier in the season. Stan asked if he would go pro, and he basically said that he hadn't decided, but it was a choice between being immediately rich (even though he said his mom and family don't need the money) or becoming a wake legend and getting his jersey up in the rafters. Didn't mention his preference, but it certainly suggested he was conscious of his legacy.

I don't think the recent rumor -- that he'd stay if he wasn't in the lottery -- has been at all substantiated. Best just to think he's gone and be pleasantly surprised if he stays.

Didn't that rumor come from a radio interview?

Edit: I looked up the David Glenn interview and it wasn't there.

Last edited:
I think the comment about his family not needing the money is much more telling than anything else.

It was in article after the State game.

“To be frank, it’s legacy or money, really,” Collins said. “I’m trying to decide if I want to be up in the rafters as one of the great Wake Forest players of all time or go to the NBA, be a professional and do it that way. But I’m trying to wait until the end of the season to make any kind of decision, to do anything about that. ... No wavering yet. I’m on the fence either way.”

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...cle_3ee7d8f8-d80a-554c-8421-8ca16e02cffd.html

"This guy" is just one of the leading announcers in his profession. If you didn't spend your life living in the 70's you might have heard of him but that's probably asking too much of ole BKF. But hey maybe there's hope you did use a texting abbreviation people used within the last decade......

Well, if this guy thinks that Bob Knight threw chairs at referees and threw a Puerto Rico officer into a trash can, he obviously doesn't know his ass from his elbow about Bob Knight.

bob-knight.jpg

How many times does BKF need to go over this??? Coach Knight didn't "throw" a chair at a ref, as much as he slid the chair to a empty part of the court. Some people never learn.

Last edited:
Also he never choked a player. He temporally detained a player by preventing his movement with a strong touch to the neck/chest area.

Hope to see you stay, JC. Looking up at the rafters and seeing your name is there with Duncan and Paul, among others, would be amazing.

And the trash can story involved an LSU fan after a regional game in the NCAAT. It didn't have anything to do with the police officer in Puerto Rico. That alone shows that this guy 1) doesn't have any idea what he is talking about, and 2) is completely unconcerned about the accuracy of what he writes in his columns. (Which is pretty much par for the course among Knight critics.)

Bob Knight has more integrity than all of his bastard critics combined.

He threw an LSU fan in the trash?

It was in article after the State game.

“To be frank, it’s legacy or money, really,” Collins said. “I’m trying to decide if I want to be up in the rafters as one of the great Wake Forest players of all time or go to the NBA, be a professional and do it that way. But I’m trying to wait until the end of the season to make any kind of decision, to do anything about that. ... No wavering yet. I’m on the fence either way.”

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...cle_3ee7d8f8-d80a-554c-8421-8ca16e02cffd.html
Thanks for this, Ranger. I think that quote is actually a direct transcription from the Stan interview I was talking about. I remember listening to it live.

Good find. Thanks for posting.

And the trash can story involved an LSU fan after a regional game in the NCAAT. It didn't have anything to do with the police officer in Puerto Rico. That alone shows that this guy 1) doesn't have any idea what he is talking about, and 2) is completely unconcerned about the accuracy of what he writes in his columns. (Which is pretty much par for the course among Knight critics.)

Bob Knight has more integrity than all of his bastard critics combined.
Unlike Hayes, Knight never struck an opposing player. Instead, over five different decades, he targeted his own. A brief and incomplete history of Bob Knight’s cruelty would include shoving Wayne Radford (’74-78) in the back and slapping Daryl Thomas (’83-87) across the face; gut-punching the 6-foot, 160-pound Steve Alford (’83-87); kicking his own son Patrick (’90-95); breaking the nose and separating the shoulder of his other son Tim; head-butting Sherron Wilkerson (’93-96) and later dismissing Wilkerson from the team for domestic violence. Early in his Indiana tenure, Knight cold-cocked Sports Information Director Kit Klingelhoffer and before the end of it he brutalized Athletic Director Clarence Doninger. A forearm shiver to the chest of assistant Ron Felling led to the proof that Knight had choked Neil Reed (’94-97). On Sept. 7, 2000, Knight grabbed the arm of IU freshman student Kent Harvey — Hey Knight! What’s up? he said — to teach him, in Knight’s words, “manners and civility.”

Larry Bird transferred after 24 days on Knight's Indiana Culture of Abuse Campus as well.

I think the comment about his family not needing the money is much more telling than anything else.

I know nothing about his family, and maybe his dad or mom are really really rich, but just because a family does not live near the poverty level in America does not mean “needing the money” is a good indicator for passing up guaranteed millions. He stands to gain more in one day than he may make in a lifetime if a serious injury happened next season. The post that he would be the next “James Michael McAddoo” is very accurate. However JMM is still pulling in some serious coin after earning his was on a roster, but pales to what his first contract would have been had he left after his Freshman season. McAdoo has made just over 2 million and stands to make $1.7 mil next year. He is currently 24, so he is doing better than most of us :)

Simmons pod yesterday only had a mention, but they did talk about about the draft prospects and the fact that in most weaker years John likely would have been a projected top ten. On the other hand in recent history most guys who come back to college to keep playing seem to rarely improve draft stock, so if his projection remains strong for the mid first round, he should probably go.

Back