• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Step away from the ledge

WFU1990

Reaction score
Our offense was putrid in that game. That being said, we have a lot of things working against us right now. We have an OL and a QB recruited for a totally different system.
We have a lack of skill (for now) on the OL (we were starting a center and QB whose last live game action was high school football).
We have a starting RB who we actually tried to turn into a WR two years ago.
We have a new coach, with a new system, who did not recruit a single player on the field to play in that system.
This all means that we will suck hard at the beginning of the year and hopefully improve.

Positives:
Our true freshman QB, in his first start with pressure flying at him up the middle all game long did not throw a ball that was close to a pick and did not fumble.
Improved recruiting.
Above average secondary.

It will take a year or two. Even when his recruits come in, they will be 18 year old boys. Not saying that it isn't disappointing, but give him some goodwill. His record shows that his first year at every school he arrived at sucked, so give it some time. Go Deacs!

Surely the fanbase is all ears at 1am on a monday morning

Not on the ledge but...

We have an OL and a QB recruited for a totally different system.

Offensive linemen are recruited to block for RBs or to protect the QB. It isn't rocket science. Even if you have to swap to more of a zone blocking scheme, you should be able to fucking block.

Agree that Clawson isn't to blame but he did recruit some of these guys including our QB.

I am not looking over the ledge. My problem is that I am disappointed and not impressed with what I have seen on offense so far. Still hoping for the best for the rest of the year. Just give me hope guys....

the offensive line apparently looked awful in the preseason scrimmages and did look awful las thursday. i dont forsee much improvement in season...

While I don't think anyone is on the ledge, 2014-2015 has the strong potential to be the lowest combined winning percentage in modern WFU history between football and basketball, correct? I'm sure some of the KenPom chuggers can #analytics and #advancedstats it up, but off the top of my head I'm thinking it can definitely be the case. Usually in the years that we've completely sucked ass in football (0 or 1 win), we've at least been competent in basketball. Through minimal fault of either Clawson or Manning (fuck you Ron Wellman), this year truly has the making of something special. So if someone was on the ledge, they would seem to have good reason.

Maybe the point of the OP is being missed here. I agree that while the game wasn't pretty, that for the reasons listed by WFU1990, and others, it is WAY to early to start with the gloom and doom. I think we may be in for some considerable lumps this year, but Coach has a rep and record for turning things around. I hope he can do the same here. As Myra Fleener said, "Give the man a chance."

Short-term (defined as this season) gloom and doom is entirely warranted. Those who say otherwise should go cheer for the University of Fantasyland Fighting Unicorns.
Long-term gloom and doom should wait.

They've got a hell of a coaching staff. Head Coach Papa Smurf. Optimist Prime at DC and the Genie from Aladdin running the offense.

Even they couldn't win two games with this OL.

great sentiment but I'm not on the ledge anymore. maybe jumping off a curb 3 inches. I've never given less of a fuck about WF sports than I have the last two years.

nobody is on a ledge. Our offense looked really anemic against a crappy defense. That is cause for concern.

I thought Wofford was awesome considering we got 5 first downs. He hit James right on the money and that was a money possession. On the 1 yard line - from my perspective I saw a winner. He threw a great ball to the sideline that was just out, then a great throw to scott, I think, and then that money ball to James. I think he just has to get used to the fact that he won't be able to juke every lineman like he did in high school. He is Riley Skinner shifty, a little faster, just needs to learn what he can and cannot do. Even the first sack where he tried to juke between two defenders and was sandwiched showed great skill. That is a lane he hits in high school and every now and then in college. I will very interested to watch him against physically imposing / superior teams like Clemson and FSU.

Our problem right now on offense is no great secret. If our line improves our offense will improve. I think we are going to have to throw 60% of downs though to be successful against bad to okay teams. So if Wolford gets any protection at all (like he did on the James throw), we'll win a couple of games. We should have won Thursday's game. We had most of the momentum until the freaky INT for a TD.

Nobody is doom and gloom. It's a rebuilding process and Clawson is building it from the ground up. Band aids don't help that process. Install what you need to be successful moving forward and improve game to game.

The biggest thing I want to see this year is improvement from the week before.

They've got a hell of a coaching staff. Head Coach Papa Smurf. Optimist Prime at DC and the Genie from Aladdin running the offense.

Even they couldn't win two games with this OL.
RIP genie

After watching Duke, State, and, Syracuse, my win expectations took a dive.....nice to see Vandy back to earth....but of course, not on the schedule.

After watching Duke, State, and, Syracuse, my win expectations took a dive.....nice to see Vandy back to earth....but of course, not on the schedule.

State beat a transitional team at home by one after trailing 17-3 and it took Syracuse double OT to beat an FCS team. At least we lost by only a TD to a legitimate FBS team.

Back