• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I’ve been far less in the Forbes-in camp than most and have agreed with a lot of your posts. But his team is favored against a top-ten team for a reason. You have to give him that credit.
I've repeatedly given him credit for the talent that he has brought in. I have repeatedly said that he is a great talent evaluator and a great face of the program. In situations, mostly at home when we are juiced up, when we can out-talent the opposition and/or ride the crowd we are in great shape. The concerns are about his in-game coaching in less-than-ideal conditions. Yesterday we managed to survive one of the worst decisions in the history of basketball inside the final minute to hang on to a win. If Filipowski doesn't fumble that ball out of bounds and instead Duke hits another 3, then Forbes is on here getting absolutely roasted, and possibly fired, for his players' stupidity on that play. But Duke botched it, so credit to Forbes. Great win. Hopefully we keep it up. We'll see.

I've repeatedly given him credit for the talent that he has brought in. I have repeatedly said that he is a great talent evaluator and a great face of the program. In situations, mostly at home when we are juiced up, when we can out-talent the opposition and/or ride the crowd we are in great shape. The concerns are about his in-game coaching in less-than-ideal conditions. Yesterday we managed to survive one of the worst decisions in the history of basketball inside the final minute to hang on to a win. If Filipowski doesn't fumble that ball out of bounds and instead Duke hits another 3, then Forbes is on here getting absolutely roasted, and possibly fired, for his players' stupidity on that play. But Duke botched it, so credit to Forbes. Great win. Hopefully we keep it up. We'll see.
2&2 moves the goal posts more than a DIII football team on its practice field.

Wait, you blame Forbes for that oop?

It was a bad decision IMO, but it sure as he'll wasn't on Forbes. He lost his shit when it happened.

Obviously he didn't call the play and I sure as hell hope didn't condone it, but it is for sure on him to have his players constantly aware of time and score, especially in end of game situations. That is basic coaching. That basketball IQ and discipline (or lack thereof) is absolutely on him. Pick any high-level coach, and are their players attempting that play? We survived it yesterday, hopefully he works on it in practice this week.

The oop wasn’t a bad decision. Just poorly executed.

Be serious. It was an awful decision. We were up five with the ball. You dribble around and make them foul you. Seven point lead. Game over. No reason to try a high risk play like an alley oop. Forbes specifically called it out as a bad decision in the post game.

Be serious. It was an awful decision. We were up five with the ball. You dribble around and make them foul you. Seven point lead. Game over. No reason to try a high risk play like an alley oop. Forbes specifically called it out as a bad decision in the post game.
Well god forbid anyone disagree with Forbes on this thread.

High risk high reward man. Would’ve given us a 7 point lead and absolutely brought the house down

High risk high reward man. Would’ve given us a 7 point lead and absolutely brought the house down
If he hangs on to the ball and dribbles around he runs another 20 seconds off the clock, we get the same 7 point lead, and the game is essentially over. It was a horrible, indefensible basketball decision. Even Forbes admitted as such.

I think there’s some overlap between the camp that would go for it on 4th and go for 2 a lot more often and people who don’t hate this decision. Just different philosophies.

As a coach, I hate that decision, you absolutely want to run clock and limit possessions by the other team. Yet, at the same time you want your team to step on their throat so they panic and fold.... So, ulitmately, you let them play and hope we do enough to win the game. Which they did.

If that lob worked we would have seen that replay a million times.

As a coach, I hate that decision, you absolutely want to run clock and limit possessions by the other team. Yet, at the same time you want your team to step on their throat so they panic and fold.... So, ulitmately, you let them play and hope we do enough to win the game. Which they did.

If that lob worked we would have seen that replay a million times.
And we don’t lose the life of such a young talent so early.

Back