• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I'd be very surprised to see Cam leave after he elected to keep playing through a broken wrist rather than having surgery and shutting his season down. That is not something someone does if they are looking to leave.
If Cam returns healthy from off season surgery, he could put up big numbers next season. He could get some NBA looks as a 3 and D second unit wing who can also be a secondary ball handler.

Given that we are 2-8 on the road, that should tell you all you need to know about the value of defensive efficiency ratings.

sjy6j9tp5zo61.jpg
Blame for road losses is on the offense, if you can even put blame on anything. Not like we're getting blown out on the road or anything aside from UNC. Adjusted efficiency on the road is only 77th in D1 (and even then that isn't awful), with a less than ideal (283rd) 3pt% and very less than ideal (326th) in offensive block %.

The only thing our defense doesn't excel all well at is forcing turnovers. Outside of that, it's actually good for a change. We're not a bad team on the road by any means, we just can't close out any games.

The reason we are losing on the road is pretty straight forward by looking at the stats - we shoot tremendously worse away from the Joel, and we are like 50% less likely to get to the line as we are at home (this trend has remained pretty constant over the last 120 conference games, and is one of the biggest reasons we are top 3 in KP's HCA).

The reason we are losing on the road is pretty straight forward by looking at the stats - we shoot tremendously worse away from the Joel, and we are like 50% less likely to get to the line as we are at home (this trend has remained pretty constant over the last 120 conference games, and is one of the biggest reasons we are top 3 in KP's HCA).
Right, and among the myriad of other things Carr contributes, he shoots BETTER on the road.

This is an incredible act of tripling and quadrupling down on being wrong that will go down in boards lore.

I mean, simply incredible.
This doesn’t even make 2&2’s top ten of doing something like this.

I think the key to Wake taking the next is benching Sallis. MAYBE he becomes a solid 6th man, but we're holding everyone else back by relying on him too much. I think we go big. Start Cam at point, then put Keller at the 2, Carr at the 3, Reid at his true position of 4 and Marsh at the 5. The offense could just be Cam tossing it up near the bucket and our bigs take turns hammering it home. Maybe they hit some 3's against that lineup but we'd literally shoot 100% from the floor.

If Forbes understood adjustments he'd have already tried this.

#Hot2n2Takes

Have you watched any games the last 3 years? Like a single one?
I think you are wasting your time. You are arguing with someone who thinks no one knows what system Forbes runs other than “let them play” and is hung up on the limitations of one of the best players in the league.
He either doesn’t watch games or is completely ignorant of basketball. Either way, you’re not in a productive conversation.

If only we had Shoemaker getting rebounds we’d be a tournament team!!

I like Carr a lot, but you can't detach him from the big men shooting 3s issue, as it is part of his liability to the extent there is one. He falls in love with those corner threes, and having your not-super-athletic 4 man missing a three from the corner and having to try to race from the farthest spot on the floor to get back on defense and not even get in somebody's way is a part of our problem. I think his 3pt percentage from earlier in this thread was 38% (my guess is it is much worse on the road) ... which isn't horrible but 62% of the time puts us in oh shit get back and match up mode. I'm not running him off or anything, but his style is part of our problem at the moment when the shots aren't falling.
This is complete bullshit like all the rest of your feels in this thread. Most corner 3 rebounds stay in the front court, typically on the opposite side from the shooter. So, no, 62% of the time we are not in “oh shit get back”.
Missed 3 pointers also provide more offensive rebounds than your 15 footer. Obviously, shots in the paint provide the best chance for an offensive rebound. You’ll get no argument from me that we shouldn’t try to drive or pass into the lane to get a shot or force the D to collapse.
Anybody’s style can be argued part of the problem when shots aren’t falling.

We gave up 87 points at FSU, 83 points at NC State, 85 points at UNC, 77 points at Pitt, 77 points at Duke, and 70 points at a horrible Notre Dame team. And yes our offense hasn't traveled either, but our bad offense given its style has led directly to those inflated defensive numbers. Which is the point. If our offense isn't clicking its style directly leads to bad defense.
Just to clarify, are those totals from this year or did you go back to prior year box scores again?

Happy to see Coach was able to teach shooting 3s on the road these past couple of days.

Losing out after finally getting the cathartic breakthru win is certainly a strategy.

Back