• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

If we get Dayton they’ll put the ncaat appearance on our banner and you’ll be happy and watch the game. Enough of this nonsense back in mah day 64 team shit, it comes off like weird emotional hedging in case we get left out again.

If we get Dayton they’ll put the ncaat appearance on our banner and you’ll be happy and watch the game. Enough of this nonsense back in mah day 64 team shit, it comes off like weird emotional hedging in case we get left out again.
Ohhhhhhh yea. This again. LETS DO IT

Works both ways. Yay participation trophy for getting to try out for the big boy tournament!

sure...so don't say "we didn't make the tournament" as we're flying to Dayton
No different than the must-win neutral site game that we had to fly to today (and hopefully tomorrow). None are in the NCAA tournament, but we would need to win all of them to get in.

2&2 is a fucking clown. But he's right about this. Dayton is a play in game. Same as today.

20+ wins in two out of the last three years (with 19 wins last year).

Dayton was used as a pathetic excuse to keep/extend Manning, so hopefully nobody is stupid enough to fall for that bullshit again. If we were to get to Dayton and win, then yes congrats on making the tournament. If we make it to Dayton and lose, then no it doesn't count. Nobody missed out on a first round bracket point by us losing, and we did not make the tournament.
Using bracket pools as a justification for why making Dayton doesn't count as making the NCAA tournament is pretty stupid. The people running the pools could easily add the Dayton games if they wanted to - but it is easier and cleaner not to and it gives people a couple more days to fill out their brackets.
You do you but I think the semantic argument is dumb and a waste of time. The goal is to get into the tournament because it makes you relevant and gives you a chance to be mentioned and discussed, a chance to win and advance, a chance to, in a dream world, make the final 4 and maybe win a championship. Does making Dayton do those things? Of course it does.
From wikipedia: "Played mostly during March, the tournament consists of 68 teams..." "The tournament teams include champions from 32 Division I conferences and 36 teams which are awarded at-large berths." "The tournament consists of 68 teams competing in seven rounds of a single-elimination bracket." "The Selection Committee determines the at-large bids, ranks all the teams 1 to 68..."

Wikipedia also refers to the Dayton games as play-in games and the next round as the first round, but, again, these are semantics. They have to call those awkward first games something.

Through the years the tournament field has been all kinds of weird sizes - 22 teams, 25, 53, whatever - with formats including small first rounds, teams getting byes, etc. Did teams that barely made the field and didn't get a bye or had to play in a "play-in" game or whatever argue about whether it really counted as making the tournament? I seriously doubt it. The NCAA decides the size of the field of its tournament - they have decided it is 68 teams and either you are one of those 68 or you are not. It is only 68 because they kept adding conferences that would get automatic bids, even though those teams are much worse (resume-wise) than many of the at large teams. So they added 4 spots to make sure deserving at large teams didn't get left out. And then, just for giggles, they decided that the 4 lowest ranked at large teams should play in Dayton instead of just putting the 8 lowest ranked teams there - because they knew the 8 lowest ranked teams would always be 8 of the conference champs from the worst conferences... There are 36 at large teams so making Dayton as an at large team means you are probably ranked in the top 40-45 teams in the country - whatever that is worth...

I just wasted way more time than this argument is worth... Either you get the chance to advance to the final 4 and beyond or you don't - making Dayton gives you that chance.

Using bracket pools as a justification for why making Dayton doesn't count as making the NCAA tournament is pretty stupid. The people running the pools could easily add the Dayton games if they wanted to - but it is easier and cleaner not to and it gives people a couple more days to fill out their brackets.
You do you but I think the semantic argument is dumb and a waste of time. The goal is to get into the tournament because it makes you relevant and gives you a chance to be mentioned and discussed, a chance to win and advance, a chance to, in a dream world, make the final 4 and maybe win a championship. Does making Dayton do those things? Of course it does.
From wikipedia: "Played mostly during March, the tournament consists of 68 teams..." "The tournament teams include champions from 32 Division I conferences and 36 teams which are awarded at-large berths." "The tournament consists of 68 teams competing in seven rounds of a single-elimination bracket." "The Selection Committee determines the at-large bids, ranks all the teams 1 to 68..."

Wikipedia also refers to the Dayton games as play-in games and the next round as the first round, but, again, these are semantics. They have to call those awkward first games something.

Through the years the tournament field has been all kinds of weird sizes - 22 teams, 25, 53, whatever - with formats including small first rounds, teams getting byes, etc. Did teams that barely made the field and didn't get a bye or had to play in a "play-in" game or whatever argue about whether it really counted as making the tournament? I seriously doubt it. The NCAA decides the size of the field of its tournament - they have decided it is 68 teams and either you are one of those 68 or you are not. It is only 68 because they kept adding conferences that would get automatic bids, even though those teams are much worse (resume-wise) than many of the at large teams. So they added 4 spots to make sure deserving at large teams didn't get left out. And then, just for giggles, they decided that the 4 lowest ranked at large teams should play in Dayton instead of just putting the 8 lowest ranked teams there - because they knew the 8 lowest ranked teams would always be 8 of the conference champs from the worst conferences... There are 36 at large teams so making Dayton as an at large team means you are probably ranked in the top 40-45 teams in the country - whatever that is worth...

I just wasted way more time than this argument is worth... Either you get the chance to advance to the final 4 and beyond or you don't - making Dayton gives you that chance.
8730a37b-0b41-4706-9a0c-a0f43bdba2d4_text.gif

eh - i'm in the camp of dayton not really being the ncaa tournament if you lose there

does anyone really feel like manning made the tournament with john collins?

It may not feel like the tournament but it's making the tournament. Hang the banner.

Today, I find Steve Forbes credible and also the fact that 2&2 doesn't makes me feel excellent about this choice

It may not feel like the tournament but it's making the tournament. Hang the banner.

Today, I find Steve Forbes credible and also the fact that 2&2 doesn't makes me feel excellent about this choice
This is probably the correct take.

i mean - we're talking about just adding a year to a banner, right? not actually hanging a banner solely dedicated to making a play-in game, right?

Back