• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

They aren't. But you are off your rocker if you think the SEC or B10 would even consider us anyway, as we bring absolutely nothing to the table for them. But the Big 12 surely is looking at college basketball. And has been pointed out, the Lost Decades bring us nothing in that regard either. So we are flat fucked. Welcome to the SoCon (or New ACC, as ChrisL would prefer we call it).
the socon, except it would have almost the exact current ACC membership.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

the socon, except it would have almost the exact current ACC membership.

Except for, oh, the 5 current ACC schools that actually made the NCAA tournament this year. And FSU. But yes, everything else is the same and soooo many at-large bids to be had.

i will believe that when i see it. Duke has the same issues that we do. They don't drive revenue in football at all.

Whatever happens, we would never have any control over it being a small private school anyway. But the reasonable mass landing spots are pretty much gone.

Last edited:
i will believe that when i see it. Duke has the same issues that we do. They don't drive revenue in football at all.

Are you assuming absent the ESPN contract? Because football does drive the revenue for us and Duke, whether we completely suck at it or not. If absent the ESPN distribution and us having to go it alone? I totally agree with your assertion. Except we do have 2.7 million fans! :)

Whatever happens, we would never have any control over it being a small private school anyway. But the reasonable mass landing spots are pretty much gone.

But the Big 12 would definitely want them for basketball. Plus, Duke has no problem being a complete doormat in football. There is certainly a scenario where UNC and Clemson go to the SEC, so the B10 (or vice versa) takes Duke to roll over in football (a la Rutgers/Vandy) to get both the NC market footprint and the added bonus of a basketball power. The B10 could also use them to prop up their faux academic reputation.

Our problem isn't the ceiling, nobody in today's college basketball has a ceiling. San Diego State, Florida Atlantic, and Miami were all in the Final Four last year. Think about that for a minute, compared historically to us. At some point, everybody wins but us. The problem is not the ceiling, the problem is our floor. You need to get in the fucking tournament to get a shot at the ceiling. And Forbes has been unable to do that, regardless of the number of G-league transfers he brings in. He should be gone right now.
Back in 1993-1997 and again in 2003-2005, I was convinced that Wake would play in the Final Four in my lifetime. But now, I'm 53 years old and I have seen nothing in the last 15 years that makes me think that will ever happen.

Are you assuming absent the ESPN contract? Because football does drive the revenue for us and Duke, whether we completely suck at it or not. If absent the ESPN distribution and us having to go it alone? I totally agree with your assertion. Except we do have 2.7 million fans! :)
not driving revenue as an add-on for another conference.

The ACC.

But the Big 12 would definitely want them for basketball. Plus, Duke has no problem being a complete doormat in football. There is certainly a scenario where UNC and Clemson go to the SEC, so the B10 (or vice versa) takes Duke to roll over in football (a la Rutgers/Vandy) to get both the NC market footprint and the added bonus of a basketball power. The B10 could also use them to prop up their faux academic reputation.
It’s a good question, if a prestige basketball program like Duke could add enough value through basketball to make up the deficit between its yearly football split and its actual football value. Duke basketball probably doubles the viewership of every conference game it plays, so 18 or 20 basketball games with relative surplus viewership value, vs 12 conference football games with negative viewership value. Even at 20 games vs 12 games I imagine the difference between CFB viewership and CBB viewership makes Duke a negative value

How confident are you that $1,645,426 number is accurate for total comp?

Find it odd that they report Forbes' comp but not those of the other private schools in the ACC.
Miami and BC are reported. For Duke, ND, and Syracuse, it’s because their coaches are new enough that the information returns (990s) with their comp aren’t available (or in some cases even due) yet. Once they are available, they lag behind by two-ish+ years because most schools have a June 30 fiscal year, but comp is reported for the calendar that ended during the fiscal year. So for Forbes, the $1.645 million is accurate, but it is outdated. The $1.645 million is what Forbes was paid in calendar year 2021. For the public schools, this is a decent tool and actually reflects comp and other data for the 2023-2024 season. But adding the private schools, it’s really comparing apples to oranges.

Back in 1993-1997 and again in 2003-2005, I was convinced that Wake would play in the Final Four in my lifetime. But now, I'm 53 years old and I have seen nothing in the last 15 years that makes me think that will ever happen.

Final Four? I’m not sure if we’ll make the Round of 64 four more times in my life.

That post DR made about State having as many ACC tournament wins last week as we have in the last 18 years was hella depressing.
And it didn’t even knock UNC out of a 1 seed. Harumph.

Ahh man seeing good ole men Deacs like yourself embracing the reality is hard to see.

The last time Wake made the round of 64, I was a 33 year old who had been married for almost 2 years with a 9 month son. Now I’m a 47 year old with a 14 year old and 11 year old.

The older I get, the more I understand that much of what I considered normal was temporary during my formative years of the 90s and early 00s. Wake basketball success is one of those things.

Compared to back then, there are more top programs likely to make the field every year and more mediocre programs fighting for at-large bids. I’ve finally accepted that Wake is one of the worst major college hoops programs. Even if Forbes climbs out of the gutter, it will be very hard to stay in the field year to year.

Last edited:
I’m not even sure I’ll witness an ACC tournament championship, let alone a final four

The last time Wake made the round of 64, I was a 33 year old who had been married for almost 2 years with a 9 month son. Now I’m a 47 year old with a 14 year old and 11 year old.

And compounding the problem is we now have a lost generation of young fans such as your 14 year old son who has never seen Wake succeed in basketball. I'm sure he's smart enough to find other things to occupy his time other than watching shitty basketball. Based upon posts, I would guess the majority of this board is 40+ years old or much older like me. Not sure the younger generations will even bother to care as they have many more entertainment options.

And compounding the problem is we now have a lost generation of young fans such as your 14 year old son who has never seen Wake succeed in basketball. I'm sure he's smart enough to find other things to occupy his time other than watching shitty basketball. Based upon posts, I would guess the majority of this board is 40+ years old or much older like me. Not sure the younger generations will even bother to care as they have many more entertainment options.

This is true. My 18 year old son has never known a time when Wake was good in basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back