• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Fair enough, at least one of those posters trolls pretty consistently though.

Point stands, think vast majority of the fanbase wants to see up to Year 5. May need to do a poll on this.
Poll! Public!

I agree that he should not (and will not) be fired after this season.

I'm just not sure how to justify no NCAATs in 4 years, if it comes to it.

Although, according to Brad, no one can post such a thing unless they have detailed financial plans to fund a buyout. Which is priceless coming from a guy who can't understand basic math.

Three out of four years of being in the conversation vs nine out of ten years of not even being considered - I know which way I prefer. And just consider that one Danny Manning team was selected with a 19-13 record. Forbes' 25-10 and 18-12 records weren't good enough.

I think overall Forbes was dealt a pretty shitty hand, and that needs to be taken into account in any performance evaluation.

1st season: Late hire, covid year. Couldn't have recruits or transfers interview in person.
2nd season: Damari goes down with the ACL and isn't able to return to the team until mid-season. Jake goes nuclear and gets drafted. Two other players with remaining eligibility leave (Walton, Mucius)
3rd season: Ituka is hurt and ultimately redshirts. Davien and Andrew hurt and less effective. Damari injury obviously affecting the team big-time over the last three games.

I basically throw out the first year, and look at next year as year 3 under Forbes.

I'm not going to say there aren't faults with Forbes just like most other coaches, but I think any serious claim that he should be fired has to be laughed at.

We absolutely must give Forbes two to three more years before Currie decides to pull any trigger. We have a promising freshman class and I think he needs to demonstrate that he can develop that talent and show year-over-year improvement. If we regress or show little progress, then I think decisions should be made.

I realize football and basketball are entirely different sports but recall we didn't look worth a damn under Clawson the first three years either and I believe we all know how that has turned out!!

Good grief, what a damn bipolar group of Wake fans are on this board. Forbes is getting his 5 years, so stfu about your "get rid of him now" horseshit. He is the ACC CoY and has given us the best B2B seasons since 2007-2009, including a winning record (or non-losing depending on our last game) in the ACC.

the fact of the matter is that Forbes inherited a really fucking bad team from Manning, especially after Manning sold off all of our best players. Forbes had to fill that roster quickly during C-19, then get used to the new transfer system and NIL. Fact - Forbes has put very competitive teams on the floor the last two seasons...neither of them were expected to cut down the nets. He replaced 6-7 players from his first season and another 6-7 from his second season while we compete every game. Albeit that sort of turnover has to stop, imo, but he is putting together ACC competitive teams while forming his roster for the future.

Roster - I think obviously a PG is a big priority and Forbes has done better than any in the ACC in bringing in a Transfers to fill that role over the last two years. In fact he might have the ACC POY b2b transfers that really wasn't expected by either. Center is the position that is hurting us the most...we have nobody that can make even the most simple low post moves on this team. They are not even good rebounders! I have been the most disappointed in Bradford...i am not sure we can get any more out of him than what we see, which is not great.

You guys that are down on Hildreth drive me crazy!!! he is a Soph playing as many minutes as he can handle...right now, he is our best low post scorer, second best rebounder, second best assist and ball handler and maybe our best defender. right now he should be a #3 or 4 shooter on this team but has had to be #2. even after the last two poor shooting games, his shooting % (44.7%) is still higher than Appleby (43.5%) and #2 on the team (if you don't count the lob dunkers). he is also #2 at getting to the FT line on the team... Cam is probably my favorite player on the team and is the glue that keeps this team together.

$0.02

Here is the biggest red flag for me when it comes to coaching. You can coach up a team to occasionally beat better teams and pull off a few big upsets. We haven’t done that.

He's been showing up of late on some lists of coaches that could take another job.
Where have you seen this? I know he has hinted that the Iowa job would be a dream for him. McCaffery is 63, his teams are still competitive.

I saw it maybe a week ago or so. It was either on espn.com or The Athletic or Bleacher Report. Those are the 3 places I read at breakfast to get my sports info.

Back