• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

He came over to my tailgate last year and introduced himself and talked about Wake. He was a very humble and interesting guy. Polar opposite from Wellman.

I have posted this before, but Currie did such a tremendous job with the Forbes hire/Manning fire. Forbes was basically the best guy available that year, but no other AD had the balls to make the move. Not sure Forbes is here under a normal carousel scenario with all of the jobs that would have been open. Currie crushed it under very difficult circumstances.
What ever happened with Manning's buyout? All I remember was talk about Wake coming up with a way to fire him for cause to avoid the $15M buyout, and that it was likely headed for litigation...but it all sounded like speculation at the time. And I don't recall hearing much in the nearly 3 years since then. Did we ever pay him anything? Is this resolved?

What ever happened with Manning's buyout? All I remember was talk about Wake coming up with a way to fire him for cause to avoid the $15M buyout, and that it was likely headed for litigation...but it all sounded like speculation at the time. And I don't recall hearing much in the nearly 3 years since then. Did we ever pay him anything? Is this resolved?
Feel like I remember hearing that the buyout would be lowered if he took another coaching job also. I assume it is resolved, but would be curious to hear any juicy deets.

Wake and Manning have kept this very quiet. Only way we may know is if somebody leaks or by inference from Wake's IRS filings. I think the most relevant one should become public this summer.

Wake and Manning have kept this very quiet. Only way we may know is if somebody leaks or by inference from Wake's IRS filings. I think the most relevant one should become public this summer.
Maybe I'll walk up to Curry tonight, strike up a conversation, and then ask him for the deets.

Currie came around to talk to all the Wake fans at the A&M NIT game. So basically me, my kids, DR, and players parents.

Ran into him in the men's room last season in the fertilizer fire-effected game against BC. Didn't strike me to ask about Manning's buyout. Guy wears a nice suit but takes very short pisses.
Did he wash his hands?

He appears like a genuine and approachable dude. I see him walking out of the tunnel and around the courtside seating at the games and feel I could just walk up and strike up a conversation with him. Complete 180 from that doucher Ron Wellman.

I've spoken with John on a few occasions. Once or twice in the TD Club and at a couple fundraisers. He's extremely approachable and, at least, comes across as sincere. If he's not, he's a good actor. He and I have also exchanged a couple of emails. He REALLY does want ideas from alums and fans. Of course, constructive. Not drunken 1:00am rants. He appears to be very open-minded about growing the Wake sports brand.

I absolutely could not stand Wellman. His shit never stunk and he was always the smartest one in the room. I honestly believe he detested most of our fanbase. I really do.

At the FSU game last week my buddy stopped Currie just to ask why the ACC doesn’t release the football schedule earlier. They talked for 10 minutes. I’m sure Currie had better things to do 20 minutes before tip.

Back