• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Thats because it is a non factor in the future success of our program in the NIL era. Players want the money to flow to them, not to infrastructure.

There was a time I sided with you on this issue, but the landscape shifted under our feet. Time to stop thinking like it's 2001.

LK, why are YOU making an annual choice not to give us $100MM to build a new arena. Unlike Mit Shah and Cathy Pace, you will not be earning a THANK YOU from the fan base.

One thing we can all agree on:

The heavy majority of Wake Forest alums supported building and still support keeping the Joel Coliseum.

We can debate the Joel. But there is no debate that YOU chose it and make an annual decision to keep it.
We could buy multiple national championships in the form of great players via NIL for a fraction of the price of a new arena.

That’s why the new shtick is something about everyone being to poor to donate for NIL

When the conference underperforms it makes it harder for an equally quality team to make the NCAA tournament.

More opportunities for bad losses.

Less opportunities for that big win against a Q1 team that might be bringing their C game.

One thing we can all agree on:

The heavy majority of Wake Forest alums supported building and still support keeping the Joel Coliseum.

We can debate the Joel. But there is no debate that YOU chose it and make an annual decision to keep it.
you truly are an insufferable blowhard, DR

just fuck off. forever.

thanks in advance.

Keep doing it your way Wake Forest. What a great 3 decades it’s been!

To blame this on Steve Forbes, your handpicked Coach who is also a great Coach, is just silly. The chosen path among alums is to stay with the Joel and run off another Coach. Then hire another old man. Maybe the 7th Coach will be different after all.

The definition of insanity is…

To blame this on Steve Forbes, your handpicked Coach who is also a great Coach, is just silly. The chosen path among alums is to stay with the Joel and run off another Coach. Then hire another old man. Maybe the 7th Coach will be different after all.

I do OK for myself and my family. Maybe not to DR or his "friend" Mit Shah levels, but we don't struggle to eat.

But I could make 15 million dollars a year and I would still not give a single penny to a sports program (outside of Merch purchases, obvi!)

Maybe, just maybe, some people have different priorities that are higher up on their list than college athletics?

And I'm not knocking anybody that does donate to the Ath Dept. Y'all do you. But I just hate this mantra of "if you don't give $$$$ then you don't care". Fuck all that bullshit.

Do you get Ubers to chase ambulances while you are cocked on Shitsboro moonshine?

I do OK for myself and my family. Maybe not to DR or his "friend" Mit Shah levels, but we don't struggle to eat.

But I could make 15 million dollars a year and I would still not give a single penny to a sports program (outside of Merch purchases, obvi!)

Maybe, just maybe, some people have different priorities that are higher up on their list than college athletics?

And I'm not knocking anybody that does donate to the Ath Dept. Y'all do you. But I just hate this mantra of "if you don't give $$$$ then you don't care". Fuck all that bullshit.
With college sports becoming more and more "professional" in nature, your opinion re: not throwing $$ at WFU outside of buying tickets and promotional gear (and I'd add athletic/academic scholarship support) could become the norm. A "business" like WFU sports that brings in millions from t.v. deals, ticket sales and scholarship donations should not need to beg supporters for $$ to outbid other schools for players, but that's the system that the NCAA and the presidents have allowed to happen. And at this point I'm all in favor of paying players, but under a similar structure of other "professional" sports with salary caps, luxury taxes, etc. Imagine if the NFL allowed the owner and deep-pocketed fans of any team to make a play to sign Caleb Williams with no regard to the draft; that's where we are today with the NCAA.

Athletic departments are out there pleading poverty while profiting from huge TV deals, paying coaches massive salaries, and managing real estate holdings and concert venues.

1705684337238.png

I could get behind the better arena argument. The part that isn't making sense to me is that we had our most success in an era when the arena should've mattered more. Pre-NIL. A large bag would theoretically supercede a desire to play in a great arena in the current environment.

So i'm not sure how to reconcile this seeming disconnect @donaldross

Athletic departments are out there pleading poverty while profiting from huge TV deals, paying coaches massive salaries, and managing real estate holdings and concert venues.
and trying to sue conferences because they either got duped into signing a deal or forgot to read the contract before signing

Most everybody agrees a new arena would be awesome. In a unicorn and rainbow world where money is unlimited it'd be great to replace the Joel.

In the real world where resources are limited, it's way down the priority list and we get a much better ROI spending that money elsewhere.

If somebody donates $250-300M for a new basketball arena, we’ll get a new basketball arena. Pretty straightforward.

The definition of insanity is continuing to engage with the board’s biggest troll regarding the troll’s sole cause celebre, on which his own hypocrisy has already been blatantly proven. Seriously. What are y’all doing

Back