• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Blowing tourney opportunities is frustrating and embarrassing, but the DFL [Redacted] season was humiliating. If it's a choice between the two I'm choosing the former every day of the week.
GT is nowhere near the bubble and has had more embarrassing losses, but I’m sure they feel better about their season than we do. I don’t prefer to be DFL I’m just saying this hurts way more. During those years I could just turn the tv off and focus on other things. I bought into the hype hard this year

Last edited:
We need to start game planning for 2035. With the limited money we have been giving men's hoops, not even John Wooden could win in this $$ environment.

Need a capital campaign for just men's hoops. Big NIL pot. New stadium. Deacon Club needs to encourage folks transition their giving to RTQ to be designated for Men's Basketball.

Cliff notes: Monsanto got frustrated due to his injury and his lack of success chose the absolute worst time to start sulking and being emo on line and then claimed he was hurt so that Forbes had no choice but to bench him. It’s been a horrible week and a half for him…. So selfish and self destructive and can be argued it ruined the chemistry of the team leading to the collapse . Hard to see a scenario where he is back next year after this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did you get this information?

This should be Currie's conversation with Forbes after the season, " Steve, really simple, next year you make the NCAA tourney 64 team field (not the play-in round) or you're done here. No, excuses about all these guys left, you're the transfer portal guru right? Make the tournament or you're done."
I think this is fair. We all know coach has been through some bad shit this year, probably more than we know. The fire he had from the first years isn't really there this year.

Feels like you gotta give him one more year and hopefully between now and then the family stuff gets worked out.

Cliff notes: Monsanto got frustrated due to his injury and his lack of success chose the absolute worst time to start sulking and being emo on line and then claimed he was hurt so that Forbes had no choice but to bench him. It’s been a horrible week and a half for him…. So selfish and self destructive and can be argued it ruined the chemistry of the team leading to the collapse . Hard to see a scenario where he is back next year after this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Source?

In North Carolina and the ACC, it always has been and likely always will be (until the ACC implodes), Duke and UNC at the top of the food chain, and NCSU and Wake battle it out to maintain relevance and occasionally excellence, the later hard to sustain on a year-to-year basis. And though Kevin Keatts has certainly had more NCAA tournament "success" than Forbes (if you can count two 1st-round exits as "success"), the two seem to be at a comparable crossroads in terms of their ability to move to their programs to the next level.

I have a tough time blaming Forbes for a problem that has plagued multiple Wake sports over multiple coaches.

A Wake team with everything to gain is getting beat up by a team with nothing to lose is typical late Feb/March for hoops and late Oct/Nov in football.
This is the real issue/question.

Could be asked or repeated in multiple settings, including Clawson's first radio show, or a "Q&A, lunch and learn/status of the program" with the AD etc.

I've heard Forbes say: "I am concentrating on coaching up the STARTERS, not the bench." That's not good.

I've heard Clawson say: "We will never recruit at the level of NC State etc." and thus I translate that in part to mean, not have a 2-deep. Our starters will be competitive and ready to play, theoretically, but quality depth will be lacking. That's not good.

We need to start game planning for 2035. With the limited money we have been giving men's hoops, not even John Wooden could win in this $$ environment.

Need a capital campaign for just men's hoops. Big NIL pot. New stadium. Deacon Club needs to encourage folks transition their giving to RTQ to be designated for Men's Basketball.
Nobody is doing that when there is a good chance we're in some bastardized version of the SoCon in 3 years.

This is the real issue/question.

Could be asked or repeated in multiple settings, including Clawson's first radio show, or a "Q&A, lunch and learn/status of the program" with the AD etc.

I've heard Forbes say: "I am concentrating on coaching up the STARTERS, not the bench." That's not good.

I've heard Clawson say: "We will never recruit at the level of NC State etc." and thus I translate that in part to mean, not have a 2-deep. Our starters will be competitive and ready to play, theoretically, but quality depth will be lacking. That's not good.
I followed Forbes at ETSU very closely due to my personal interest with the SoCon. He was known as the coach who brought in a ton of transfers (yes even back then) from high majors for one year and didn’t develop his bench/HS players. He’s not changing. His juco experience has allowed him to assemble rosters but he cannot develop guys

If this truly were the case, shouldn't we tag the $$$ for men's BASEBALL?

Even I’m skeptical of this. Like who? Damari and Sallis aren’t coming back. Who else do you see gone? I don’t see it.
Damari
Sallis
Clark (why stay?); he's from Easton, PA, so I could see him going a lot of places (Hofstra, Cornell, Drexel, Fairleigh Dickinson, Lasalle).
Keller (why stay?); some place like Idaho State or Colorado State makes more sense for him.

Canka: 50/50; no idea.
3-M: 50/50 although Forbes is giving him minutes late; not the same results as when he gave Klintman minutes late.
Marsh: 75% stays as I suppose he wants a degree from WF. If he's graduating this May, no idea. His defense is possibly the worst I've ever seen, so...
Carr: not sure. 50/50? would not be surprised if he left.
Boopie: struggling so much second half of season, 80% stays.

Nice to the see the masses finally realizing what has been obvious for quite some time. The question is, is there enough of a tide shift to pressure Currie to make a move after this season, which is sorely needed? That fucker Wellman waited years too long with the previous two buffoons. Waiting any longer gains us nothing, it only delays the inevitable and prolongs the misery. And spare me the "image" bullshit. Our program has been in the shitter for going on two decades. We have no positive image to tarnish, and anyone scared of having 4 years to simply make the goddamn tournament shouldn't be considered anyway.

No amount of tide shift or pressure is going to have Currie fire a guy who went through all the personal stuff Forbes did this year. Agree with it or not, we are stuck with him one more year and I have low expectations for that season.

No amount of tide shift or pressure is going to have Currie fire a guy who went through all the personal stuff Forbes did this year. Agree with it or not, we are stuck with him one more year and I have low expectations for that season.
Yeah, no way he's getting fired this year, but it needs to be established with him, from Currie, you make the tournament next year or we have to move on. Period.

I followed Forbes at ETSU very closely due to my personal interest with the SoCon. He was known as the coach who brought in a ton of transfers (yes even back then) from high majors for one year and didn’t develop his bench/HS players. He’s not changing. His juco experience has allowed him to assemble rosters but he cannot develop guys

4 of 5 starters at the end of the year on Forbes' team that won the SoCon were Forbes recruits. His center transferred in from Ok St.

Post of the year.

He still relied on transfers, more than anyone else at the time

in the SoCon championship game, 75% of points scored were by players Forbes recruited out of high school. The team he beat, Wofford, had 69% of their points from players originally recruited to Wofford.

And guess what? Transfers are here to stay.

Back