• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

No amount of tide shift or pressure is going to have Currie fire a guy who went through all the personal stuff Forbes did this year. Agree with it or not, we are stuck with him one more year and I have low expectations for that season.
It is worth the conversation, as perhaps it is best for both parties. It's not like Forbes needs the immediate money. Let him take a year off to be with his wife. Don't let Wake drag out the inevitable. I don't have any ill-will for the guy (as I did the other two bastards), he is just not a good basketball coach at this level. Maybe getting some time off is the best thing for him, given all that he has going on. Perhaps he can see that as well.

I think we have enough of a sample size now to see that Forbes is not the guy long-term. He is of course better than what we had, but he's pretty clearly not the coach to make Wake a consistent winner. I don't hold the COVID year against anyone, but every season since then has seen the same issues:

His teams don't play defense.
They don't really have any set offense.
His HS recruiting is suspect at best.
Players do not develop in his program long-term.
His teams are traditionally worse at the end of the year than they are in the middle.
His teams seem to wilt in the spotlight at almost every single opportunity.

Now he seems like a great guy. He has been a marvelous spokesperson for WFU and the ACC in general. I think he's a good salesman too. And he can definitely show high-level transfers that they can come here and put up gaudy numbers. I just don't think any of that translates into winning a lot of basketball games, which is what he is actually paid to do.

I think we see his floor is decently high, but we've hit the ceiling with him. I think two years ago and this season are about the most you can hope for with him at the helm, and that is not good enough.

I think we have enough of a sample size now to see that Forbes is not the guy long-term. He is of course better than what we had, but he's pretty clearly not the coach to make Wake a consistent winner. I don't hold the COVID year against anyone, but every season since then has seen the same issues:

His teams don't play defense.
They don't really have any set offense.
His HS recruiting is suspect at best.
Players do not develop in his program long-term.
His teams are traditionally worse at the end of the year than they are in the middle.
His teams seem to wilt in the spotlight at almost every single opportunity.

Now he seems like a great guy. He has been a marvelous spokesperson for WFU and the ACC in general. I think he's a good salesman too. And he can definitely show high-level transfers that they can come here and put up gaudy numbers. I just don't think any of that translates into winning a lot of basketball games, which is what he is actually paid to do.

I think we see his floor is decently high, but we've hit the ceiling with him. I think two years ago and this season are about the most you can hope for with him at the helm, and that is not good enough.
He needs real assistants (assistance) to coach offense and defense for him

I think we make the tournament next year. We've had three seasons where we were close, and we are probably due. But I don't expect us to be good, per se. More like an 9-11 seed. And how many more years does that buy him? Based on Wake's history, probably 2-3 whether he makes the tourney again or not.

If we can bring back healthy Cam, Reid, Carr, Parker and Boopie, I will be elated and it would give us a very good group to build around.

I think we make the tournament next year. We've had three seasons where we were close, and we are probably due. But I don't expect us to be good, per se. More like an 9-11 seed. And how many more years does that buy him? Based on Wake's history, probably 2-3 whether he makes the tourney again or not.
I would never actively root against Wake, but maybe long term it's better off if next year is a repeat of this year so a decision has to be made and this can't linger.

@myDeaconmyhand and @WindyCityDeac

Forbes said as much regarding Damari telling him he was hurt. He then acted extremely pissed off and made it clear he was calling BS on Damari.

The other part about social media is even more public knowledge. To sit here and try to argue with anyone that Damari didn't upset the team chemistry is disingenuous. Everything that @SC DEAC said is what we have as the facts present themselves.

Reads like a lot of hearsay and conjecture. Maybe Forbes is frustrated with Damari not practicing, but all the talk about him having terrible body language and not supporting his team, being toxic or a negative influence, that’s all conjecture as far as I’m concerned, and it’s not fair to the kid.

Forbes better make the tourny next year or Currie will have a tough decision to make. inexcusable choke job to end the season.

In North Carolina and the ACC, it always has been and likely always will be (until the ACC implodes), Duke and UNC at the top of the food chain, and NCSU and Wake battle it out to maintain relevance and occasionally excellence, the later hard to sustain on a year-to-year basis. And though Kevin Keatts has certainly had more NCAA tournament "success" than Forbes (if you can count two 1st-round exits as "success"), the two seem to be at a comparable crossroads in terms of their ability to move to their programs to the next level.
The tournament should not be the end all be all to determine quality of coach. Forbes is better than Keatts through and through

If we can bring back healthy Cam, Reid, Carr, Parker and Boopie, I will be elated and it would give us a very good group to build around.
Ah yes, I'd love to watch this team minus the best player.

I kid, but Cam healthy was a beast. Him getting hurt really derailed everything, and I feel like we only scratched the surface with Reid. He's super talented just needs to develop and play smarter without fouling.

All you guys already ready to talk about next year are maniacs.

I'm still just sad about the past week

It seems the best we can do is middle of the pack in the ACC and hope for a win over Duke or UNC each year

This team and the Williams/Laravia team should both have made the tournament. They did not win as many games as they should have, and they lost some critical games at the wrong times (especially this team). Very disappointing.

in the SoCon championship game, 75% of points scored were by players Forbes recruited out of high school. The team he beat, Wofford, had 69% of their points from players originally recruited to Wofford.

And guess what? Transfers are here to stay.
I know what you meant, but I still had to chuckle at this a bit.

I know what you meant, but I still had to chuckle at this a bit.
the only constant is change?

just looked at the top 10 teams in KP. 9 of them have at least one transfer in the starting five. The exception is Duke.

Back