• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

the only constant is change?

just looked at the top 10 teams in KP. 9 of them have at least one transfer in the starting five. The exception is Duke.
Yeah but what's the average? We have 4 transfers in our starting 5. Even if you don't count Carr because he's been here a couple years at this point, that's 3 first year starters in the starting 5.

Yeah but what's the average? We have 4 transfers in our starting 5. Even if you don't count Carr because he's been here a couple years at this point, that's 3 first year starters in the starting 5.

would you feel better if Matt Marsh was still starting?

last year Monsanto was a starter before he got hurt. Forbes reasonably could have returned Carr, Hildreth, Monsanto and Marsh for 4 returning starters.

would you feel better if Matt Marsh was still starting?

last year Monsanto was a starter before he got hurt. Forbes reasonably could have returned Carr, Hildreth, Monsanto and Marsh for 4 returning starters.
Matt Marsh is not capable of starting. So no. The reality is that Forbes is trying to find parts in the transfer portal that he can't otherwise bring in. And we're only having mixed success with that.

He's not getting fired. I don't think people realize what a dumpster fire this program was when he took over. The fact he has Wake relevant again is something to consider. I think he gets 2 more years and if he can't make the tournament, he will be gone. The only concerining thing is he really doesn't recruit HS prospects, and it's hard to have an entirely new team every season. That said, I am not sure Wake will ever be able to recruit at the level Skip did.

He's not getting fired. I don't think people realize what a dumpster fire this program was when he took over. The fact he has Wake relevant again is something to consider. I think he gets 2 more years and if he can't make the tournament, he will be gone. The only concerining thing is he really doesn't recruit HS prospects, and it's hard to have an entirely new team every season. That said, I am not sure Wake will ever be able to recruit at the level Skip did.
We're not relevant yet it's clear. I like Forbes but you've got to question his "important game" coaching, and inability to adjust offense and defense in game. I'd like to hope we can pull a miracle out of this dumpster fire, but I don't believe it's possible. A quarterfinal or semi final NIT performance is a HUGE disappointment with this roster. The truth is that if we somehow manage an NCAA bid, losing in the first or second round is the same story. Wake Forest not relevant

The fact he has Wake relevant again is something to consider.
Relevant to whom? We’re middle of the pack in the 3rd-4th best conference. Kyle Filipowski got more publicity on our court for faking an injury than any of our players have received for their play all year.

I really have to disagree with the sentiment that winning 18 games and occasionally getting 75% capacity in the Joel is a strong argument for Coach Forbes job security after year 4(!). To me, that isn’t nearly enough.

Relevant to whom? We’re middle of the pack in the 3rd-4th best conference. Kyle Filipowski got more publicity on our court for faking an injury than any of our players have received for their play all year.

I really have to disagree with the sentiment that winning 18 games and occasionally getting 75% capacity in the Joel is a strong argument for Coach Forbes job security after year 4(!). To me, that isn’t nearly enough.
Losing 3 straight after beating Duke and the court storm incident shows they were our Super Bowl. Super irrelevant program

Last edited:
don't have any official sources, but I do have ears and eyeballs and that's all I need to know that Monsanto has checked out on this team and that Forbes is somewhere between Irritated and pissed off at him. You guys denying that are living in fantasy land. I do think there is a real question about whether he has reaggravated his injury or if he developed a case of the Idon'twanttobehere anymore and in my humble opinion I think Forbes thinks its the latter.
Whatever is going on with him, it coincided with the exact time our season went to shit which is why it is getting so much attention.

don't have any official sources, but I do have ears and eyeballs and that's all I need to know that Monsanto has checked out on this team and that Forbes is somewhere between Irritated and pissed off at him. You guys denying that are living in fantasy land. I do think there is a real question about whether he has reaggravated his injury or if he developed a case of the Idon'twanttobehere anymore and in my humble opinion I think Forbes thinks its the latter.
Whatever is going on with him, it coincided with the exact time our season went to shit which is why it is getting so much attention.
ok. so it's your opinion Damari Monsanto quit on his teammates.

Watch us start Cam/Sallis/Monsanto/Carr/Reid on Saturday, ha.

The “he brought us back from a dumpster fire” argument holds no weight with me. Bball is a sport where your whole program can change in one year. It’s not football. 4 years is an entire undergrad experience. That’s more than enough time in bball.

I think the staff overall would benefit from a guy who knows situational coaching. I'm not definitively saying that there isn't one on our staff now, but it's been 4 seasons of no 2 for 1s, rushing last shots at halves/games (which results in not actually getting the last shot), lack of awareness of shot clocks, and questionable substitution patterns at critical moments (some self-induced by both foul trouble and lack of depth).

Forbes can portal quite well and construct a roster, or at least a starting 5, but it takes more than that to make the NCAA Tournament based on what we've seen so far.

I know everyone on here hates K but he would’ve had this team ranked in the top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ranked in the top ten is a big stretch, but I've made this same argument many times this season. Give Coach K this team and there is no possible way it is 18-12. Nor Roy. Nor Prosser for that matter.

I would bet any of those three coaches would have this team with anywhere from 4-7 more wins. (i.e. 22-8 at the Prosser end of the spectrum, up to about 25-5 for K) Maybe that would actually get you in the top ten. Certainly would be ranked and in no danger of missing the tournament.

What is scarier to me is not comparing to a hall of famer like K. I would bet most mid-level coaches in our league would have a better record with our roster.

Back