• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

No Chris, you are supposed to post that with Forbes' overall and acc record, he has no change of being fired.

(which is true, of course- Forbes is coaching at Wake next year short of: a) someone else hiring him; or b) the shitshow he has had to deal with outside of his job makes him want to take time off- and I don't think either of those happen. But the repetitive posting in light of people having legitimate reasons for concern was a bit much).
This x 1000.

I can't believe anyone is even having this conversation. We are finally watchable. This is the first season in over a decade where I have actually rearranged plans to watch us play and some of you want to get rid of the guy who is bringing us back into relevancy? You guys can all just fuck right off. I am not walking through the desert again.

I think we have a competent AD and a few huge benefactors who are intelligent enough not to make a change without knowing they can get an upgrade. And I am not very confident that Wake is going to find an upgrade over Forbes, who I think is a very good coach with tons of connections and a refreshing personality. We also talk about the Wake Forest "family" and if there is ever a time to show someone a little grace it would be to Forbes over the past couple of years. Finally, I think it took Leonard Hamilton seven (7) seasons to reach the NCAA tournament at Florida State, without much of the bullshit Forbes has faced, and I'm sure they are glad they stuck with him.

i don't think now is the time to move on from Forbes. I think he should get another year.
But this idea that we should keep Forbes becasue we "can't do better" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If that's the logic then Wake will never be relevant. Making staffing decisions out of fear of what may happen is a full on loser mentality

Just a small anecdote that caught my attention.

St. John's was 14-12/6-9 on Feb 18 after losing five-of-six games.

Pitino in the post-game presser called his players slow, questioned their toughness and defense. He called a lot of guys out.

They just won their fourth-straight game, including 2 Q1 wins.

How have you been enjoying the last 14 years, RJ
Well I'm not RJ (unless you think he's been arguing with me as himself on years back of posting), but I did get Bob Staak for all four of my undergrad years, so I've gone through rough patches before.

I also remember Odom's first year, also a rough start and after the Staak years, people were pretty fed up. But the next 10 years were pretty fun for the most part.

So I say all this to encourage a bit of patience for Steve Forbes. Sounds like the man has had a rough year on and off the Court. In another two years things will have either worked out (or not) one way or the other. Not a whole lot you can do about it right now other than to continue to support the team and hope for the best.

Who knows? Maybe this loss will be a final turning point for the team, they get it together for Clemson, and we make a deep run in the ACC tournament and still sneak our way into the NCAAT. Improbable? Yes. Impossible? No.

Last edited:
If we end up even more broke and destitute from having to pay 3 Coaches a/l/a GT the last decade, I suggest low balling a young Coach.

Here's the guy I want:

Giltner has been running VT for the last 4 years. He single handedly Coached them to an ACC title. It was an amazing thing to watch in Brooklyn. He looks like Pat Kelsey on our bench back in the day. He will get a low level heard job soon and be out of our range 5 years after that. Have to lock these guys up before others notice.

Probably take the job for 750K.

If we have a little more money, we might not yet have fully pissed off Pat Kelsey.

It might not end up meaning anything towards the NCAAT, but it'll mean something towards my opinion of Forbes if this team just continues crashing and burning or if it plays well against Clemson and in the ACCT.

I'm not ready to say Wake should fire him, but the past week and a half is very concerning to me. Particularly because it really seems like this team's problem is more mental than anything.
Fully expect us to lose out at this point

If we end up even more broke and destitute from having to pay 3 Coaches a/l/a GT the last decade, I suggest low balling a young Coach.

Here's the guy I want:

Giltner has been running VT for the last 4 years. He single handedly Coached them to an ACC title. It was an amazing thing to watch in Brooklyn. He looks like Pat Kelsey on our bench back in the day. He will get a low level heard job soon and be out of our range 5 years after that. Have to lock these guys up before others notice.

If we have a little more money, we might not yet have fully pissed off Pat Kelsey.
With a quick AI assist — Let’s delve into the ages of some notable NCAA men’s basketball coaches when they were hired by the schools where they ultimately won championships:

1. Rick Pitino: Rick Pitino was 39 years old when he was hired by Kentucky. He led the Wildcats to the championship in 1996.
  2. Bill Self: Bill Self was 40 years old when he took over as the head coach at Kansas. Under his leadership, the Jayhawks secured the championship in 2008.
  3. Scott Drew: Scott Drew was 32 years old when he became the head coach at Baylor. His coaching journey culminated in the Bears winning the championship in 2021.
  4. Tony Bennett: Tony Bennett was 39 years old when he was hired by Virginia. The Cavaliers achieved their championship victory in 2019 under his guidance.
  5. Jay Wright: Jay Wright was 38 years old when he started his tenure at Villanova where he won the championship in both 2016 and 2018.
  6. Mike Krzyzewski: Coach K was 33 years old when he began coaching at Duke. The Blue Devils secured their championships in 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, and 2015 under his leadership.

Fully expect us to lose out at this point
if we lose the next two then that's a sign that the coach has lost the team, IMO

My opinion on nearly everything changes if we close out the season post Duke win with 5 straight losses to (on paper) inferior opposition.
(Maybe Clemson better on paper? But at worst, from our perspective, that's a push, IMO.)

With a quick AI assist — Let’s delve into the ages of some notable NCAA men’s basketball coaches when they were hired by the schools where they ultimately won championships:

1. Rick Pitino: Rick Pitino was 39 years old when he was hired by Kentucky. He led the Wildcats to the championship in 1996.
  2. Bill Self: Bill Self was 40 years old when he took over as the head coach at Kansas. Under his leadership, the Jayhawks secured the championship in 2008.
  3. Scott Drew: Scott Drew was 32 years old when he became the head coach at Baylor. His coaching journey culminated in the Bears winning the championship in 2021.
  4. Tony Bennett: Tony Bennett was 39 years old when he was hired by Virginia. The Cavaliers achieved their championship victory in 2019 under his guidance.
  5. Jay Wright: Jay Wright was 38 years old when he started his tenure at Villanova where he won the championship in both 2016 and 2018.
  6. Mike Krzyzewski: Coach K was 33 years old when he began coaching at Duke. The Blue Devils secured their championships in 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, and 2015 under his leadership.
Thanks to your sweet AI program for telling us the ages of the coaches when they won said Championships.

Because we all knew that they won them but now we still need to google the ages in which they did so. Again, sweet assist!

Thanks to your sweet AI program for telling us the ages of the coaches when they won said Championships.

Because we all knew that they won them but now we still need to google the ages in which they did so. Again, sweet assist!
Nope - you misread. Those were the ages they were when they were first hired by the schools where they built programs that won NCAA championships.

Here's the guy I want:

yeah you were probably saying this about Pat Kelsey 20 years ago yet we could hire him tomorrow.

Back