• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Now that the dust has somewhat settled and tempers should have somewhat lowered, the sun rose again this morning. The world did not end.

Posting within the first few hours of a season ending loss always leads to impassioned accusations and conflict over where to lay the blame. No one single factor is the exact cause here. Damari's absence certainly hurt the team and caused some chemistry issues. Coach Forbes had quite a bit going on in his personal life this season that had to have some minor effects. Cam's injury may have been another issue. And no, John Currie and Mr Wellman is not the boogeyman to blame for all of this. No single issue, but a myriad of other minor problems may have caused the death of a thousand cuts so to speak.

25-10, 19-14, and 20-13. Those are pretty good averages for the past three years, all things considered.

Let's see what Coach Forbes does in the transfer portal and if Hunter Sallis comes back for one more year. Still a good chance that we have an even better season next year and finally get over this hump.

Things will get better and there's certainly a lot to look forward to next year.
It wouldn't be Wake basketball if we aren't already blowing sunshine for next season before the NCAA tournament for this season even starts. Typical battered spouse syndrome - he didn't really mean it, next time will be better, I just know it! We are a pathetic excuse for a sports fanbase, and we get the results we deserve.

I had Bob Staak for four years. Disappointments were ingrained in me from the beginning, I guess?

But in all seriousness, what all is there left to do about it, other than to hope for the best next season and keep pulling for the kids on this team? It's really all you can do.

I hate it, but I don't think WFU is going to be a regular tournament team in the current NCAA arms race. And look, I'd love to be wrong. Some of my best memories are cheering on the Deacs in big games in the ACC and NCAA tournament. A gigantic check, a top tier coach, a hugely surprising class where they stay 3-4 years.... all would be amazing, but none of those things exist in the same world we live in today.

Forbes is a good dude and great portal magician. He's brought medium excitement to a program that was truly in the dumps. People came to some games this year. We beat Duke. We flirted with a top 10 tournament seed. Cool. If the next few years don't pan out with tournament appearances, we can loop back to the above, which will still be true.

Time to form the Magnolia league.

It's not that hard to make the tournament. We will do it. Forbes has next year to do it, if not, then yes I will move to the side of moving on to the next. But I want him next year for sure.

I had Bob Staak for four years. Disappointments were ingrained in me from the beginning, I guess?

But in all seriousness, what all is there left to do about it, other than to hope for the best next season and keep pulling for the kids on this team? It's really all you can do.
Bob had a unique talent on road trips. He could beat everyone back to the hotel bar and be two bourbons into the night before any of us arrived back at the hotel.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

We’ll probably win a few NIT games so people can laud his W/L record vs. the lack of NCAA appearances. Then we’ll make the tourney next year, lose Cam, Carr, and Reid and go back to not making it for a while. That will probably be enough for him to keep his job for years.

Bob had a unique talent on road trips. He could beat everyone back to the hotel bar and be two bourbons into the night before any of us arrived back at the hotel.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Agree, I personally saw this at a tournament in Florida.

Unfortunately, I'm not the person employed to make such decisions. For some asinine reason, Wake has entrusted that job to a person who retained Danny Manning for a full season into his tenure for God knows why, and apparently extended the current coach for the phenomenal achievement of getting us to the bubble. Our basketball program is a joke.
The "official" word was that Wellman made the decision to retain Manning.

At the end of the day it’s not Steve Forbes job to make Wake Forest hoops a winner in 2035. It’s our job. Coach Forbes only cares about next year—as he should—he won’t be here in 2030 let alone 2035.

The reason we aren’t winning today is 15 years ago we kept saying it’s all the Coach.

We need a massive monetary commitment directed solely at men’s basketball. Proper NIL pot. Proper stadium. Until we look ourselves in the mirror we are handing each Coaching hire a deck stacked against them.

Last edited:
It's not that hard to make the tournament. We will do it. Forbes has next year to do it, if not, then yes I will move to the side of moving on to the next. But I want him next year for sure.
What?

It’s extremely hard to make the tournament… for us.

These guys get enamored by their own hires.
Forgot something: besides being enamored with their own hires, they don’t want to be proved wrong and tend to stick with bad hires for extra years—see Caldwell, Bz, Rembielak and Manning. New AD’s also want to hire their own & get rid of the ones there if they can—see Ruffin McNeil at ECU & Well-Man’s early attempt to replace Dianne Dailey (then she goes out and wins ACC golf)

Our 2.7 million fans must not be very happy today. Let's wait until we hear their thoughts on Forbes.

Back