• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

At the end of the day it’s not Steve Forbes job to make Wake Forest hoops a winner in 2035. It’s our job. Coach Forbes only cares about next year—as he should—he won’t be here in 2030 let alone 2035.

The reason we aren’t winning today is 15 years ago we kept saying it’s all the Coach.

We need a massive monetary commitment directed solely at men’s basketball. Proper NIL pot. Proper stadium. Until we look ourselves in the mirror we are handing each Coaching hire a deck stacked against them.
Well shucks, I guess Mit Shah isn't the answer.

Again, we finished 500 or above in the ACC 3 consecutive seasons. He's not on the hot seat

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

This isn’t complicated. We need at least one NBA starting caliber player to make the NCAA tourney. I can’t think of a single time Wake has made the tournament without that. Late career portal guys aren’t that…they may be NBA role players but not typically starter level.

Wake needs NBA caliber players. Very simple.
I haven’t run the numbers but I’d bet Forbes’ success is about equivalent to Odom’s or Prosser’s seasons without Rogers, Duncan, senior year Howard, or Chris Paul on the roster.

Wake has had a steady stream of NBA talent going back to the 80s. I think we’ve had an NBA draft pick on the roster every year except for some [Redacted] years. But for some reason, Wake needs to have one of the best basketball players of all-time just to have decent success. Meanwhile plenty of other programs can get it done with “good college players” and coaching.

I haven’t run the numbers but I’d bet Forbes’ success is about equivalent to Odom’s or Prosser’s seasons without Rogers, Duncan, senior year Howard, or Chris Paul on the roster.
Agreed. The question then becomes why did they get those caliber players and Forbes has not.

Again, we finished 500 or above in the ACC 3 consecutive seasons. He's not on the hot seat

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk
Is this a more relevant or important achievement than making the tournament? Where did you learn about the importance of a .500 ACC record in Forbes contract?

Because here is the thing.

When I went BuzzOUT! after his very first game it was because I heard him in the post game press conference/interview blaming literally everyone but himself. I immediately knew that a YMCA coach would be better than Bzzz because the YMCA coach wouldn't destroy their confidence with toxic coaching.

I didn't like the Manning hire (because giving an inexperienced coach the responsibility of building a program back isn't a wise choice, IMO) but gave Manning the benefit of the doubt for 2 years.

Watched him on the sidelines. Listened to him explain his decisions. Knew he wasn't the guy and that Wake would be better with literally any JuCo coach or better. Manning was clearly in over his head and it was painful to listen to him fumble through basic questions in press conferences. Great player. Shit coach. Happens all the time.

My concerns with Forbes are how his teams at home and away are like Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. And honestly, I'm not sure he can fix it because he answered some questions about it in a flabbergasted fashion which truly freaked me out.

That said, I'm not ready to give Forbes the boot. PLUS, PR wise, it would be fucking stupid as other alluded to, and I ignorantly doubted, earlier this month/late last month.
Enough with the bullshit PR excuse. Michigan just fired Juwon Fucking Howard after 5 seasons, which included 2 tournament appearances. Juwon Howard. An absolute legend at the school. And they fired him for "only" making the tournament 2 out of 5 years. Is anyone saying "oh shit, Michigan, what an awful place and an awful job that now nobody wants if they would fire a legend like that"? Fuck no. They say "well, guess he didn't win enough for Michigan's standards. Who is next to try?". But we're worried about firing never-heard-of-him Steve Forbes after 0 tournament appearances in 4 years, including epic collapse after epic collapse. JFC we are such goddamn pussies.

And if Currie did actually sign him through 2029, then that sonofabitch Currie should be fired today.

We act like the the almost Two Lost Decades are the result of a curse from a nut punch. No, they are from nothing more than our own incompetence and low standards as a fanbase and institution.

Not only are the players you listed NBA players, they’re all time WF legends who have their name in the rafters. It should not take that kind of player to make the tournament. We just make it so impossible. Then what happens, we miss the tournament for another ten years until one of those generational talents come along?

That’s a lie. Why are you making fake posts about me?

1dc1c682fba7108c4eab845082fcf140.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. The question then becomes why did they get those caliber players and Forbes has not.
We all know the story that Duncan was the luckiest find in the 125 year history of college basketball recruiting. Howard and Paul were local kids that we got on early, I’m too young to remember the Rogers recruitment. But three out of the four (at least) were flukes.

We all know the story that Duncan was the luckiest find in the 125 year history of college basketball recruiting. Howard and Paul were local kids that we got on early, I’m too young to remember the Rogers recruitment. But three out of the four (at least) were flukes.
childress and rogers in the same class

Not only are the players you listed NBA players, they’re all time WF legends who have their name in the rafters. It should not take that kind of player to make the tournament. We just make it so impossible. Then what happens, we miss the tournament for another ten years until one of those generational talents come along?
Yeah, I’m just pointing out, or adding to the line of thinking, that there seems to be a bigger “problem” than Forbes. “Success” at Wake has generally required a huge amount of luck.

Yeah, I’m just pointing out, or adding to the line of thinking, that there seems to be a bigger “problem” than Forbes. “Success” at Wake has generally required a huge amount of luck.
We haven’t had much luck. The only success we’ve had is with generational talent. We haven’t strung together a run like State is having rn off of sheer luck. Or snuck our way into the tournament

Last year’s baseball team to finally make it back to Omaha took 10 draft picks and a phenomenal pitcher in Rhett Lowder

Guys like Teague, Aminu, Howard etc weren’t generational talent. They were decent NBA level starter talent. We’ve had Duncan and Paul as generational talent

Back