• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

That’s a doctored photo. It’s clearly Kate Middleton level photoshop. Not sure what your end game is here

If you say so.
Or you could actually go look at the post you made, if you haven’t already deleted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the equivalent of the Final Four. Joy a fair comparison
Agreed my point is we had preseason expectations to be good and were ranked number one going into regionals. It wasn’t some lucky run that we willed together with a rag tag bunch, we were supposed to be there. Wake Forest never just “gets lucky”. Getting luck implies we win games we shouldn’t and have a lot of breaks go our way.

Sallis IS an NBA caliber player when he is engaged in the flow of the game. He is NOT an NBA caliber player when he disappears and won't take shots for extended periods during games. WF's success has largely hinged on that throughout this season.

Because here is the thing.

When I went BuzzOUT! after his very first game it was because I heard him in the post game press conference/interview blaming literally everyone but himself. I immediately knew that a YMCA coach would be better than Bzzz because the YMCA coach wouldn't destroy their confidence with toxic coaching.

I didn't like the Manning hire (because giving an inexperienced coach the responsibility of building a program back isn't a wise choice, IMO) but gave Manning the benefit of the doubt for 2 years.

Watched him on the sidelines. Listened to him explain his decisions. Knew he wasn't the guy and that Wake would be better with literally any JuCo coach or better. Manning was clearly in over his head and it was painful to listen to him fumble through basic questions in press conferences. Great player. Shit coach. Happens all the time.

My concerns with Forbes are how his teams at home and away are like Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. And honestly, I'm not sure he can fix it because he answered some questions about it in a flabbergasted fashion which truly freaked me out.

That said, I'm not ready to give Forbes the boot. PLUS, PR wise, it would be fucking stupid as other alluded to, and I ignorantly doubted, earlier this month/late last month.
Completely agree with this although not sure it was Bzz’s first game but the one vs Stetson and our first ever loss to a 300+ RPi you knew he was a disaster and was a bit hopeful for Manning and his ability to recruit and develop big men but that quickly faded the year after Collins and he was so uninspiring and clearly was not an x and os coach and not able to bring in top talent.

Unfortunately I’m in the boat Forbes ain’t going to do it either and realize we are locked in with him which is very disappointing as he also doesn’t seem to have a scheme or plan other than man D and team regularly plays bad D, turns ball over with no accountability and bad fundamentals and plays weak and scared and that comes from the top. 5 seasons is too long without ncaa tourney and all the whining about potential players staying, portal transfers, etc is ridiculous because every coach has to deal with it unless they pursue another way. He couldn’t get it done with 2 NBAers surrounded by good talent and again not this year with his likely most talented team. His only hope for a special year next year is if Hunter comes back otherwise back to the same old middling team. He is so much more likable than the 2 disasters before him, plus he puts an exciting product on the court compared to them but that shouldn’t be the bar. he is too much of a friend to the players and not a coach that gets into them when it is needed as well as sit the best player when they make boneheaded plays. We pay the coach too much money to settle for NIT for 5 years.

We haven’t had much luck. The only success we’ve had is with generational talent. We haven’t strung together a run like State is having rn off of sheer luck. Or snuck our way into the tournament
I’m am talking about the luck of landing Duncan and Paul. It has taken tremendous recruiting luck for us to have modest success in Basketball. Your talking about the game to game luck which I agree we haven't had much of.

I’m am talking about the luck of landing Duncan and Paul. It has taken tremendous recruiting luck for us to have modest success in Basketball. Your talking about the game to game luck which I agree we haven't had much of.
Duncan lucky yes, Paul? I mean he’s from the area so we really would’ve had to screw that one up. I guess we’re lucky UNC didn’t offer him

Is this a more relevant or important achievement than making the tournament? Where did you learn about the importance of a .500 ACC record in Forbes contract?
by embracing reality?

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

Enough with the bullshit PR excuse. Michigan just fired Juwon Fucking Howard after 5 seasons, which included 2 tournament appearances. Juwon Howard. An absolute legend at the school. And they fired him for "only" making the tournament 2 out of 5 years. Is anyone saying "oh shit, Michigan, what an awful place and an awful job that now nobody wants if they would fire a legend like that"? Fuck no. They say "well, guess he didn't win enough for Michigan's standards. Who is next to try?". But we're worried about firing never-heard-of-him Steve Forbes after 0 tournament appearances in 4 years, including epic collapse after epic collapse. JFC we are such goddamn pussies.

And if Currie did actually sign him through 2029, then that sonofabitch Currie should be fired today.

We act like the the almost Two Lost Decades are the result of a curse from a nut punch. No, they are from nothing more than our own incompetence and low standards as a fanbase and institution.

I think we all agree that Forbes is gone if he only wins 8 games next season.

Read an article about the Jerry Stackhouse firing and it included the stat that since the NCAA Tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, only 26 coaches got a sixth season after failing to make the tournament in their first five seasons. I know people will excuse Forbes' first year because he was cleaning up a dumpster fire and this year because of a difficult personal situation, but I still think Forbes won't be back for a sixth season if he doesn't make the tournament next year.

Read an article about the Jerry Stackhouse firing and it included the stat that since the NCAA Tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, only 26 coaches got a sixth season after failing to make the tournament in their first five seasons. I know people will excuse Forbes' first year because he was cleaning up a dumpster fire and this year because of a difficult personal situation, but I still think Forbes won't be back for a sixth season if he doesn't make the tournament next year.

Lots of variables though. How many of those are P5 coaches. What was the buyout for each coach. And most of all, how much does the handling of coaches in the 80s and 90s have to do with today.

It’s definitely possible that he’s shown the door after next season, but there’s just way too much up in the air. We don’t know how much Currie is wed to his own hire and his decision to double down on that hire with an extension.

Forbes could be here awhile.

by embracing reality?

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk
Inventing your own metric for satisfaction with Forbes isn’t “reality”, it’s cope. Forbes absolutely could have finished with below a .500 record in the ACC and not been fired. Arbitrarily cherry picking stats and metrics to suit your argument doesn’t move this conversation along.

Wake has finished 5th in 2 of the last 3 seasons. Again, that’s normally a lock for the tournament. It’s not Forbes fault that the league has shit the bed early in the season and other leagues have gamed the system. He’s also been the beneficiary of terrible luck on and off the court. I’m very optimistic about next season and excited to see what he does in the offseason.

It’s easy to talk about “family” or the “brotherhood” or whatever else teams call it when you’re winning. It’s only meaningful when faced with some adversity and Forbes has been. I’m for showing him some grace. He’s at least made the program relevant and gotten us to where we play meaningful games in March.

Back