• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Wake has finished 5th in 2 of the last 3 seasons. Again, that’s normally a lock for the tournament. It’s not Forbes fault that the league has shit the bed early in the season and other leagues have gamed the system. He’s also been the beneficiary of terrible luck on and off the court. I’m very optimistic about next season and excited to see what he does in the offseason.

It’s easy to talk about “family” or the “brotherhood” or whatever else teams call it when you’re winning. It’s only meaningful when faced with some adversity and Forbes has been. I’m for showing him some grace. He’s at least made the program relevant and gotten us to where we play meaningful games in March.
I wildly disagree with paragraph one and fully agree with paragraph two. Nicely done

Who would Wake bring in to replace Forbes? He brought the program back from the brink and has shown he can work the transfer portal extremely well. Wake is no longer the job it was in 2010, and the ACC is no longer a selling point that it was in 2010. If he can't make the tournament in the next two years or so, then maybe you have that conversation, but he shouldn't be fired now. He has made Wake relevant again, and his replacement could send the program back into the cellar.

Inventing your own metric for satisfaction with Forbes isn’t “reality”, it’s cope. Forbes absolutely could have finished with below a .500 record in the ACC and not been fired. Arbitrarily cherry picking stats and metrics to suit your argument doesn’t move this conversation along.
No, its you who is coping trying to come up with some metric where Forbes seat is warm where it really isn't at all. They aren't going to eat a bunch of years of a contract of a guy who has finished upper division of the ACC regularly, especially coming off the over decade where we were in the dregs of the conference. He will be given a wide latitude unless we start sucking.

Let me put it this way. The ACC is a better conference than it gets credit for. We even had an in season competition with the SEC and came out equal. A team with a winning record that also beat Florida, without our most important player, should probably be in the tournament. Yeah, we screwed up losing to hot ND and Pitt teams and got screwed against GT, but also had some very nice wins. If we did the exact same thing in another conference, or in a past ACC, we’re dancing.

Let me put it this way. The ACC is a better conference than it gets credit for. We even had an in season competition with the SEC and came out equal. A team with a winning record that also beat Florida, without our most important player, should probably be in the tournament. Yeah, we screwed up losing to hot ND and Pitt teams and got screwed against GT, but also had some very nice wins. If we did the exact same thing in another conference, or in a past ACC, we’re dancing.
This feels very whoa is us we got hosed. They had their destiny in their hands and pissed it away.

This feels very whoa is us we got hosed. They had their destiny in their hands and pissed it away.
Totally. But making the tournament is a huge benchmark and the fact that we didn’t 2 years ago and this year is due in large part to the (mis) perception of the league.

I’m playing by their rules. A game early in the season counts as much as late in the season. Look at the body of work. If the ACC is judged fairly, Wake is a tournament team.

This team didn’t deserve a tourney bid
I don’t know what deserve means. I agree it was totally within our control and the team shit the bed. However, the subjectivity is ridiculous. The NCAA came up with this stupid NET system and it says we’re 44. I imagine they will give UVA a bid. Does UVA deserve a bid? What about other teams with a worse NET than us. Why does the committee get to follow the NET when they feel like it and ignore it when they feel like it?

Both can be true. Wake didn't win the games to get in, but they shouldn't have had to.

No, its you who is coping trying to come up with some metric where Forbes seat is warm where it really isn't at all. They aren't going to eat a bunch of years of a contract of a guy who has finished upper division of the ACC regularly, especially coming off the over decade where we were in the dregs of the conference. He will be given a wide latitude unless we start sucking.
Missing the tourney 4 years in a row is not sucking? And why as fans should we care whether the school provided an ill-advised extension?

Are you happy with Forbes? Do you think he did a good job?

Missing the tourney 4 years in a row is not sucking? And why as fans should we care whether the school provided an ill-advised extension?

Are you happy with Forbes? Do you think he did a good job?
the 1st year doesn't even factor into anything. he had no chance of putting together a remotely competitive team. Over the last 3 years finishing 5th/8th/5th is not sucking. If we were 11th/8ith/11th that would be sucking.

He has areas he needs to improve, but he has elevated a program that was terrible for a decade to a consistent upper division. So yes I think overall he has done a good job.

Last edited:
No, its you who is coping trying to come up with some metric where Forbes seat is warm where it really isn't at all.
You’re putting words in my mouth. My statement is that the program is middling - we aren’t improving year to year, and almost making the tournament this year will have no bearing on our chances of making the tournament next year. You and DV7 seem to be using the unlikelihood of Wake firing Forbes as a defense of his results, and trying to argue from that perspective.

In hindsight you could easily go back in time and see that neither Bzz nor Manning deserved their last season. Where do you think you are going to be after year 5 or 6 of Forbes not making the tournament? Still defending him for finishing .500 in the ACC? Hopefully not, but I guess we’ll see.

Inventing your own metric for satisfaction with Forbes isn’t “reality”, it’s cope. Forbes absolutely could have finished with below a .500 record in the ACC and not been fired. Arbitrarily cherry picking stats and metrics to suit your argument doesn’t move this conversation along.
All the metrics are invented though. If Forbes made but lost in the first round of the NCAA 5 years in a row, a lot of fans would say he should be fired because we haven’t made the second round since Dino. It’s all made up and arbitrary.

All the metrics are invented though. If Forbes made but lost in the first round of the NCAA 5 years in a row, a lot of fans would say he should be fired because we haven’t made the second round since Dino. It’s all made up and arbitrary.

I'm not buying this. A few lunatics? Sure. But not a lot of fans.

Back