• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

It's frustrating, but both years we shit the bed when it mattered

Forbes' teams have shit the bed in every game I can remember that would have comfortably put us in in the tournament, but won just enough to stay around the bubble

I wonder if we’ll see changes to the assistant coach lineup this offseason.

Considering that Forbes has acknowledged how much water his staff carried while he was taking care of Johnetta, that would be shocking.

They’re certainly mitigating circumstances. And you can’t say that practice time is equivalent to live game action.

Maybe Efton doesn’t struggle with fouls trouble if he has those first games under his belt.
Efton Reid didn’t struggle with fouls today against Georgia. He was playing soft as butter and stayed outside seemingly all game. Almost airballed two short jumpers in first half!

Forbes is a nice guy, who proved he can win in a mid-major conference. However, it’s like the little engine that could, except that he can’t get over that last hump in competing in the ACC for a full season.

Forbes is a nice guy, who proved he can win in a mid-major conference. However, it’s like the little engine that could, except that he can’t get over that last hump in competing in the ACC for a full season.
Forbes is too nice. He's all holly jolly ole st Nick and won't take his players out when they are being selfish or reckless so we continue to see flashes of selfish/reckless play that holds his teams back from their true potential.

I’m going to say it again. The biggest problem is the perception of our conference. We need to get mad about it. Our team went 3-3 against the 4 ACC teams who make up 25% of the Sweet 16 and went 1-1 against UVA. And we finished 5th, just like 2022. And we got left out because the perception was that the ACC is down, the SEC is great, the Big 12 is great, the MWC is great. Spare me. Forbes has done enough to get in the tournament 2/3 years if the league is judged fairly.
This is correct. In the last 3 years we are 34-26 in the ACC. Historically, that ACC win percentage puts us in the NCAA tournament all 3 years.

This year we are ranked #29 in kenpom - the second highest team NOT in the NCAA tournament. In '22 we were ranked #35, the 4th highest team NOT in the tourney. What we have done the last several years puts us in the NCAA tourney from 1985-2019. In 2018 there were 9 ACC teams in the tournament and 2019 there were 7. The (incorrect) perception of the ACC is killing us (and Pitt, Cuse, etc.).

Because here is the thing.

My concerns with Forbes are how his teams at home and away are like Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. And honestly, I'm not sure he can fix it because he answered some questions about it in a flabbergasted fashion which truly freaked me out.
And not only away but I am truly flabbergasted with our two home losses this year with so much on the line. Both GT & UGa we came out firing 3’s and not going inside, especially when nothing is going in. Plus not playing hard on defense as we got no fouls called on us. Then to fuel a comeback we step it up on D & start pounding inside but it is much too late. My gish Reid is 7’ & Carr is 6’10. Carr was passing back out in first half but pounding it in the second. Reid just runs around 20’ from the basket?

This is correct. In the last 3 years we are 34-26 in the ACC. Historically, that ACC win percentage puts us in the NCAA tournament all 3 years.

This year we are ranked #29 in kenpom - the second highest team NOT in the NCAA tournament. In '22 we were ranked #35, the 4th highest team NOT in the tourney. What we have done the last several years puts us in the NCAA tourney from 1985-2019. In 2018 there were 9 ACC teams in the tournament and 2019 there were 7. The (incorrect) perception of the ACC is killing us (and Pitt, Cuse, etc.).
To add to this - just a pick a year prior to 2019 and look at the kenpom ratings for the ACC. In 2008 UVA was #44 and a 4 seed, in 2009 BC was #74 and a 7 seed, in 2010 we were #58 and a 9 seed...

I’m going to say it again. The biggest problem is the perception of our conference. We need to get mad about it. Our team went 3-3 against the 4 ACC teams who make up 25% of the Sweet 16 and went 1-1 against UVA. And we finished 5th, just like 2022. And we got left out because the perception was that the ACC is down, the SEC is great, the Big 12 is great, the MWC is great. Spare me. Forbes has done enough to get in the tournament 2/3 years if the league is judged fairly.
I agree with this 100%, however I don’t think it’s the biggest issue. It might be 2nd biggest - depth is our biggest issue. Even if we got in, we can’t expect to make any kind of noise with 0 bench points this late in the season.

Last edited:
I’m am talking about the luck of landing Duncan and Paul. It has taken tremendous recruiting luck for us to have modest success in Basketball. Your talking about the game to game luck which I agree we haven't had much of.
Recruiting is all about finding the talent then signing the talent and making sure your competition doesn’t sign them. There was no luck involved in Rogers, Childress, Duncan, Paul, Aminu, Johnson or Teague.

Forbes is like that great personable professor that you had at Wake. When a tough question/issue would be asked, he’d sit back and ask, “Well, how will you handle that?” Some students would figure it out, others would go in the wrong direction without any helpful hints being provided by the prof, and then the ones who’d question back, “Why the hell would I ask you a question if I already knew the answer?”

Perception has nothing to do with quad rankings. The ACC collectively needs to do a better job of figuring out how to perform well in this universe.

The good news is I think things are improving, we went from 6 KP 100+ teams the past two years to just three this year. Hopefully some of the struggling programs will continue to improve, and Louisville actually makes a non-shitty hire

4 ACC teams in the Sweet 16. I wonder if that will help with the reputation next season. One can hope.

To add to this - just a pick a year prior to 2019 and look at the kenpom ratings for the ACC. In 2008 UVA was #44 and a 4 seed, in 2009 BC was #74 and a 7 seed, in 2010 we were #58 and a 9 seed...
To add one more point - kenpom has objective rankings for the past 22 seasons. This year is the 5th best season Wake has had during that stretch, and 2022 is the 6th best season. Forbes has Wake performing at the same level as Wake teams that were seeded 4-7 in the NCAA tournament, but the down perception of the ACC is killing us. We've finished 5th in the ACC two of the past 3 seasons. In 2022 we were 23-9, 13-7 and didn't make the tourney. Prior to 2019 that would be a 6-7 seed.

Perception has nothing to do with quad rankings. The ACC collectively needs to do a better job of figuring out how to perform well in this universe.

The good news is I think things are improving, we went from 6 KP 100+ teams the past two years to just three this year. Hopefully some of the struggling programs will continue to improve, and Louisville actually makes a non-shitty hire
The ACC is improving. However, Stanford and Cal were both outside KP’s top 100 this year.

4 ACC teams in the Sweet 16. I wonder if that will help with the reputation next season. One can hope.
You would think it would, but I doubt it. ESPN announcers, across the board, have been dogging the ACC for the past 3 years.

Back