• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Jobs Biography Reveals He Told Obama, 'You're Headed For A One-Term Presidency'

dirtydeac

Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/20/steve-jobs-biography-obama_n_1022786.html?1319148475

Jobs, who was known for his prickly, stubborn personality, almost missed meeting President Obama in the fall of 2010 because he insisted that the president personally ask him for a meeting. Though his wife told him that Obama “was really psyched to meet with you,” Jobs insisted on the personal invitation, and the standoff lasted for five days. When he finally relented and they met at the Westin San Francisco Airport, Jobs was characteristically blunt. He seemed to have transformed from a liberal into a conservative.

“You’re headed for a one-term presidency,” he told Obama at the start of their meeting, insisting that the administration needed to be more business-friendly. As an example, Jobs described the ease with which companies can build factories in China compared to the United States, where “regulations and unnecessary costs” make it difficult for them.

Jobs also criticized America’s education system, saying it was “crippled by union work rules,” noted Isaacson. “Until the teachers’ unions were broken, there was almost no hope for education reform.” Jobs proposed allowing principals to hire and fire teachers based on merit, that schools stay open until 6 p.m. and that they be open 11 months a year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/20/steve-jobs-biography-obama_n_1022786.html?1319148475

Jobs, who was known for his prickly, stubborn personality, almost missed meeting President Obama in the fall of 2010 because he insisted that the president personally ask him for a meeting. Though his wife told him that Obama “was really psyched to meet with you,” Jobs insisted on the personal invitation, and the standoff lasted for five days. When he finally relented and they met at the Westin San Francisco Airport, Jobs was characteristically blunt. He seemed to have transformed from a liberal into a conservative.

“You’re headed for a one-term presidency,” he told Obama at the start of their meeting, insisting that the administration needed to be more business-friendly. As an example, Jobs described the ease with which companies can build factories in China compared to the United States, where “regulations and unnecessary costs” make it difficult for them.

Jobs also criticized America’s education system, saying it was “crippled by union work rules,” noted Isaacson. “Until the teachers’ unions were broken, there was almost no hope for education reform.” Jobs proposed allowing principals to hire and fire teachers based on merit, that schools stay open until 6 p.m. and that they be open 11 months a year.

Was Mitch McConnell there?

Steve Jobs really suffered in Obama's brutal economy.

I can't believe an author said something crazy right before a book is released...

Last edited:
By "regulations and unnecessary costs", he means actually paying workers and providing safe working environments.

I'm sure the guy walked into the meeting, and the first thing said was you're getting fired...to the f'ing President.

I'm sure the guy walked into the meeting, and the first thing said was you're getting fired...to the f'ing President.

He was Steve f'in Jobs. Random idiots don't respect the President. Why would titans of industry respect him especially when they buy into this anti-business crap.

By "regulations and unnecessary costs", he means actually paying workers and providing safe working environments.

i agree that there are many instances where our govt makes it difficult to get business going, but given jobs' track record, i'm sure he meant:
regulations = minimum wage
unnecessary costs = air conditioning

For the year ended 9.25.2010, Apple employed 46,600 full time employees. Steve Jobs was one of them. In each of 2008, 2009 and 2010 his total wages were $1. From 1997 to 2011 he sold exactly ZERO shares of his Apple stock. Suffice to say Jobs was a wildly successful entrepreneur. He also seemed to recognize fully that he had more than "enough".

As for the other employees, perhaps you want to take it up with Al Gore. He's on the Apple Board of Directors.

Yeah, China's regulatory level is what we should be aspiring to. What an awesome place to live and work!

Hopefully his prophecy comes true. Also, just noticed the tag of "obama kills jobs." Probably the best tag I've seen that is actually funny.

Let me clarify BKF. I mean his prophecy that Obama will become a one term president, not his point about making American standards like Chinese standards. Sorry I didn't clarify, but that was the point I was making. So no I am not an idiot.

1048841-Royalty-Free-RF-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-A-Moodie-Character-Whistling-Past-A-Graveyard.jpg

Let me clarify BKF. I mean his prophecy that Obama will become a one term president, not his point about making American standards like Chinese standards. Sorry I didn't clarify, but that was the point I was making. So no I am not an idiot.

You got the standard, "you're an idiot" negrep from BKF huh?

You got the standard, "you're an idiot" negrep from BKF huh?

Yep and asked me if I went to WFU and when I graduated. Not sure why he can't just post it in this thread rather than just neg rep. Hopefully my explanation will help.

There is plenty of control over the Chinese economy, it just isn't over pesky things like wages, pollution controls, working conditions, etc..

If you don't actually pay workers, they will not stay on the job will they? People only work for free at the Salvation Army and the food bank -- everyone else expects to get paid. If Friday rolls around and no paycheck is forthcoming, I don't think a business is going to continue to have a workforce. It doesn't take government regulation to make you pay your employees, all it takes is employees not showing up the next Monday. And as for safe working environments, if employees are injured then they're not able to work which takes away the business' workforce and ability to generate a product, AND the business has to defend the multiple lawsuits from the families of the injured workers. It doesn't take Big Guv'mint to make you provide a safe working environment, all it takes is an injured employee.

AND the business has to defend the multiple lawsuits from the families of the injured workers. It doesn't take Big Guv'mint to make you provide a safe working environment, all it takes is an injured employee.

1. Jobs was comparing China to the U.S. In China, workers don't have those same protections that you reference.

2. The protections that you reference may exist in some utopia, but don't exist in the real world.

Back