• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Jobs dead

I was going to put a couple of my tags on this thread, but they were already there. Nice job!

Was in an Apple store yesterday, there was a little shrine set up for him with notes/flowers/news clippings.

Walked by one yesterday in Durham and there were roses, hand written notes, and apples sitting outside.

Jobs deeply regretted putting off a decision that might have ultimately saved his life, according to Isaacson.

"He tries to treat it with diet. He goes to spiritualists. He goes to various ways of doing it macrobiotically and he doesn't get an operation," Isaacson said in the interview.

"I think that he kind of felt that if you ignore something, if you don't want something to exist, you can have magical thinking," he said. "We talked about this a lot."

Just goes to show, even "brilliant innovators" (read: brilliant at marketing) can be fucking idiots.

Lets just pray the cancer away, yeah, that will work. :thumbsup:

Hope you're enjoying your spiritualism in your coffin, Steve.

From what i've read about Steve Jobs personally, I can deduce that he was an egomaniac and a huge asshole to work with.
Not to say that he wasn't a great innovator and a great leader of his company, but he certainly had major flaws. Also, as for changing the world, maybe, I guess his earlier work was important with the apple II and everything, but it would've happened one way or another, he was just first or was able to market it the most effectively. As for Apple's recent success, at this point I don't really see it making much difference in my life. The ipod wasn't even close to the first Mp3 player and Apple didn't even really make that much off the Ipod, it's the Itunes that pulls the money in. Just like the Ipad, not the first tablet, but the best marketed and they make their money off the apps, non of which, at this point, have had a significant impact on my life.
I'm not trying to stomp on the man's grave, but it's not like he found a cure for cancer. he was a visionary, he ran a hugely successful company.

....btw the cure for cancer statement wasn't meant to be a pun, after re-reading my post I thought about changing it but decided to leave it in.

Last edited:
From what i've read about Steve Jobs personally, I can deduce that he was an egomaniac and a huge asshole to work with.
Not to say that he wasn't a great innovator and a great leader of his company, but he certainly had major flaws. Also, as for changing the world, maybe, I guess his earlier work was important with the apple II and everything, but it would've happened one way or another, he was just first or was able to market it the most effectively. As for Apple's recent success, at this point I don't really see it making much difference in my life. The ipod wasn't even close to the first Mp3 player and Apple didn't even really make that much off the Ipod, it's the Itunes that pulls the money in. Just like the Ipad, not the first tablet, but the best marketed and they make their money off the apps, non of which, at this point, have had a significant impact on my life.
I'm not trying to stomp on the man's grave, but it's not like he found a cure for cancer. he was a visionary, he ran a hugely successful company.

....btw the cure for cancer statement wasn't meant to be a pun, after re-reading my post I thought about changing it but decided to leave it in.

You just laid out the brilliance of the apple's iproducts over the last decade. It's never the first to market, but it's always the first to mainstream the category...

mp3 player = ipod
smartphone = iphone
tablet = ipad

There isn't really a close 2nd in any of those categories. You could add up all android-based phones, but no single manufacturer can even touch that line up.

They introduce an incredibly well built device with an easy-to-use interface at an affordable price, then hook you into their proprietary ecosystem.

Steve jobs had a great vision for technology, but his business-savvy and ability to inherently know what the customer wanted was what made him a genius.

Who cares if he's a dick? That doesn't make me enjoy my iphone any less.

So I guess Cancer is the real jobs killer?

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

You just laid out the brilliance of the apple's iproducts over the last decade. It's never the first to market, but it's always the first to mainstream the category...

mp3 player = ipod
smartphone = iphone
tablet = ipad

There isn't really a close 2nd in any of those categories. You could add up all android-based phones, but no single manufacturer can even touch that line up.

They introduce an incredibly well built device with an easy-to-use interface at an affordable price, then hook you into their proprietary ecosystem.

Steve jobs had a great vision for technology, but his business-savvy and ability to inherently know what the customer wanted was what made him a genius.

Who cares if he's a dick? That doesn't make me enjoy my iphone any less.

Android is the best selling phone operating system in the world. I'm not saying that iPhone isn't synonymous with smartphone, but droids are definitely on par.

Android is the best selling phone operating system in the world. I'm not saying that iPhone isn't synonymous with smartphone, but droids are definitely on par.

As an owner of both I have to say iPhone > Android at least for the time being.

Well I guess the main reason iPhone is better is that it pwns in battery life, which to me is the most important feature of a cell phone. I have to charge my Droid Charge every single goddamn night and with frequent use it won't even make it through one day. I used to use my iPhone a lot and still only have to charge it once every 3 days. The Charge has a bigger screen which is why I purchased it, but I think I'll be switching back to iPhone soon.

Well I guess the main reason iPhone is better is that it pwns in battery life, which to me is the most important feature of a cell phone. I have to charge my Droid Charge every single goddamn night and with frequent use it won't even make it through one day. I used to use my iPhone a lot and still only have to charge it once every 3 days. The Charge has a bigger screen which is why I purchased it, but I think I'll be switching back to iPhone soon.

It definitely does pwn in battery life. I liked that about it.

My Bionic isn't that bad though and is on 4G LTE all day. I expect them to get the kinks worked out eventually, but Apple has the battery life on lockdown at this point.

Back