• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

STICK A FORK IN IT

Yeah, but people who use that argument assume the impossible. How does arguing about the impoossible move the needle? Better hypos could be used to address what it would take to get fans back.

I am not making any type of arguement. We won... he gained support. If we continue to win ... he will continue to get more support.

I am not saying it will happen. But I hope it does.

I dislike buzz, but that distaste for him individually will never be able to overcome my love for WFU athletics. Perhaps i'm selfish, but even if it means another year of shitty bzzball, I still loved every minute of today's game. Regardless of the overall reprecussions, we still spanked the number two team in the country today. If that makes me shortsighted towards the overall cause, fuck it, I'm shortsighted. I'm glad for CJ. Homeboy deserves it and much, much more. Go Deacs. Even if it means extending bzzzbitch's contract, go deep in the acc tourney.

I was mostly addressing ChrisL's post. Sure if we win every game next season and win the NCAAT, most fans will come back, but the chances of that happening are 0%. Not a productive position to take to encourage intelligent discourse in my opinion. Obviously, you disagree.

I am fully aware of what it is, I just don't like it. It's in the same realm as fire-breathing dragons and unicorns for me. In some alternate universe, maybe, but not in this one.

It's nowhere near the same. It is just indicating that even the most ardent Bzzz haters would support him given a big enough accomplishment. I would imagine a trip to the Sweet 16 in the next couple of years would give him support of the vast majority of the fanbase. If it makes you feel better, substitute Sweet 16 for national title, but the point still stands.

I don't think he will get there either. There is nothing in his coaching resume that would indicate it.

Last edited:
I am not a Buzz fan, but I can appreciate our kids playing hard this late in a losing season. It was also important that we did not panic and fold when Miami cut the lead to 5 points in the second half. I expected us to play scared at that point and start turning the ball over. We did seem to have some turnovers at that point but good defense and poor play by Miami probably saved us. Winning like we did in this type of situation can build confidence and get freshmen to quit playing like, eh, freshmen, in critical times.

What I don't get is the way we played defense after we survived the Miami run. It seemed like we were fouling them in the process of shooting or giving up easy layups. I guess we were just nervous at that point and played like it. At least we were hitting enough foul shots to keep our momentum. I felt like a good zone defense might have been a decent idea at that point. I was listening to the radio in my car, so I am not sure what the plan was....

Chris, nothing would make me "like" Buzzdick. And that's because he's a small person who blames everyone else for his failings. By contrast, I never disliked Staak. Seemed like a decent enough guy but just wasn't able to get it done. In Staak's last couple of years you knew he was not the long term answer, but back then, we didn't have this same level of animosity for Staak and Gene Hooks that we do for Buzzdick and Wellman now for a similar level of a failing hoops program. Maybe part of the reason for that was the ACC back then was the number 1 hoops conference in the country, and it was hard to win in that ACC, whereas you have to be a pretty bad team not to generate a winning record in this ACC. But the much more important reason is the changing stories, lying and blaming others that both Buzzdick and Wellman have been engaged in these last 3 years. That's why we're not just merely frustrated with losing, which is how we'd feel if Buzzdick was merely just a bad coach but not a little human being and if Ron wasn't the arrogant, story changing excuse maker in chief. But they are, and that's why we have outright contempt for them.

That said, I'd admit that Buzzdick should continue as our head coach if he were consistently making NCAA Tourneys. It's not a prerequisite that I "like" our coach. I'd feel the same way if the totally classless Bob Knight in his prime were our coach - wouldn't like the guy, but I'd hold my nose as we were consistently winning. But 1 game does not a season or resume make, and in year 3, we're still not remotely sniffing the NIT. I've thought all along that Buzzdick would get a 4th season and still think he will. But next year we'll still not be Dancing, and it's not because I don't like Buzzdick personally, but rather because his teams have consistently been the worst FG% D teams in the B-12 and ACC, and you can't win on the road if you don't play D. Maybe after next year, Hatch and the BOT will wake from their long slumber and accordingly fire both Wellman and Buzzdick, though I don't have much faith in either Hatch or the BOT.

That said, I'd admit that Buzzdick should continue as our head coach if he were consistently making NCAA Tourneys. It's not a prerequisite that I "like" our coach. I'd feel the same way if the totally classless Bob Knight in his prime were our coach - wouldn't like the guy, but I'd hold my nose as we were consistently winning.

That's my point. Yes, if it turns around, and we win games and get in the tournament, I will be happy. But it's just like anyone you meet in life. Once you have formed your opinion on how they are, you will have that opinion, it's very difficult to change. I know plenty of State fans that did not like Julian Hodge, but liked that he helped them win. I can be happy they win without embracing Bzzz like I did Skip, or even Odom for that matter. It's not like I was Bzzz-out from the beginning, I gave him a couple of years, but his demeanor and actions dug his hole, not just losses.

I believe Jeff [Redacted] is a bad fit for our program. I believed that when he was hired, I believed it before yesterday's game, and I believe it today. His record speaks for itself. Yes, we have had a couple of big wins at home this year, and beating Miami was no small feat. But I believe we are extremely fortunate to have a very loyal, competent, and capable group of assistant coaches. I believe we better this year, not because of [Redacted], but in spite of him. Many of us know who put together and closed the freshman recruiting class this year. Many of us know who is responsible for our 2014 commitment. Many of us know, who, after so much futility on the offensive boards, finally convinced [Redacted] to let Devon Thomas and others try to get an offensive rebound, instead of sprinting backwards, each time an opponent's shot went toward the basket.

In my opinion, Jeff [Redacted] is a poor coach, he is a horrendous recruiter, he has zero personality and cannot effectively communicate with students, supporters, or the media. Plus is is a total waste at fundraising, etc.

The bottom line, I believe, is whether Jeff [Redacted] is a good fit for what most of us want to be the face and voice of our basketball program. That's what the Bz Out movement is really about. Some of you believe [Redacted] is the right guy for our program. Many of us do not think so. I want a head coach to be proud of. One with a winnning tradition, one with good communication skills, and one who really understands the necessity of being well-rounded in the many necessary facets of being a head basketball coach at a major university.

It'd be nice if these games mattered, then I could get excited about a win. Wake's still 12-14 which is just woeful.

Last edited:
Not that anyone should be happy flirting with 0.500, but if CJH could have hit a couple of clutch shots late in games (Ga Tech, VPI and maybe BC), this Wake team wouldn't be far from the bubble. Again, not close to acceptable, but if you indulge in the idea that rebuilding from a self-inflicted wound counts as progress, by that definition you've got it.

Not that anyone should be happy flirting with 0.500, but if CJH could have hit a couple of clutch shots late in games (Ga Tech, VPI and maybe BC), this Wake team wouldn't be far from the bubble. Again, not close to acceptable, but if you indulge in the idea that rebuilding from a self-inflicted wound counts as progress, by that definition you've got it.

People always look at close losses that could've been wins. They rarely look at close wins that could've been losses.

Back