• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

The way I see it, protectionism/isolationism don't really work but globalization has a lot of bad effects. I don't think we're putting the toothpaste back in the tube of a global economy. So it seems to me that the things that make the most sense are labor protections, a broader safety net, and tighter regulations. Seems to me like we've been pretty pedal to the metal backing Capital for the past half-century or so, and maybe pulling back on that throttle would make some sense as we barrel towards climate apocalypse.

Yep. How does an American economy compete where a company can just pay workers 25 cents a day to make shoes overseas? Simply saying let’s make these items here doesn’t fix that issue nor is globalization going anywhere

curious how far the $62BN the airline/transit industry is asking for in bailouts would go towards national high speed rail too

Given how much of a shit show that has been in CA, I wouldn't expect much.

without having any special knowledge on transit, my instinct says pump money into local and regional public transit before national programs

Yep. How does an American economy compete where a company can just pay workers 25 cents a day to make shoes overseas? Simply saying let’s make these items here doesn’t fix that issue nor is globalization going anywhere

This is something that has existed in the industrial age. Even in the 60s/70s, companies moved from NE and the Rust Belt to the South and Sun Belt to save on wages and benefits. Then, when shipping became less costly and had fewer logistical headaches, offshoring and production became prevalent.

Almost like valuing capital over labor for the last century has reached a breaking point

I don't think this country, or any country for that matter, can go 18 months of the current widespread restrictions on normal life. I also don't know how you can just say "screw the old/sick and a small % of others" and let them overwhelm the healthcare system and die. But an argument could be made that more lives would be lost due to existing disease, social unrest, mental health issues, addiction/overdose, starvation, issues from homelessness, etc. And the world economy would not be completely destroyed.

Hopefully the warmth and humidity will save us and we'll have vaccines before next flu season.

We could fund a lot of things if we taxed stock market capital gains like regular income.

I don't think this country, or any country for that matter, can go 18 months of the current widespread restrictions on normal life. I also don't know how you can just say "screw the old/sick and a small % of others" and let them overwhelm the healthcare system and die. But an argument could be made that more lives would be lost due to existing disease, social unrest, mental health issues, addiction/overdose, starvation, issues from homelessness, etc. And the world economy would not be completely destroyed.

Hopefully the warmth and humidity will save us and we'll have vaccines before next flu season.

I hope we can even get through 3 months. With each month of real data, I think we can get a better handle on infections/hot zones, have better/more accurate testing and really see how much this is spreading or not spreading It don't see any real economic recovery, but a certain stability within our economy, which should ease some fears in the stock market.

The US has had that “screw the sick” policy towards healthcare since always.

Yeah. We’ve used globalization to get rich instead of using it to promote workers’ rights around the globe and build support for addressing climate change. We aren’t getting rid of global markets and global supply changes. We do need to do right by them and think of the collective good.

palma forgot to log in as stugotz for that one

also my biggest concern is whether delta is going to fuck me like hatch fucked shaka on my status for next year if i can't fly for several months

Doubt it. They will need every loyal customer back they can get.

We can't go 90 days with hotels, airlines and restaurants getting zero revenue.

JP Morgan Chase just announced the closure of 20% of their branch locations. Not sure if it's permanent or temporary as people work from home.

It's just funny, haven't really invested in anything in my entire life until my dad passed away, got some money, invested, and like immediately lost investing in something I knew nothing about (Silver). The gold hasn't dropped much, at least, and overall losses are probably less than 5%, so I generally feel lucky. I don't mind holding on for the eventual inflation, even if it's a long term hold. Would love to double down and buy more, but there's literally nothing available. I got mine at like a 3% markup. Now the markups are like 40%.

Honestly the lack of top down leadership as far as what people could do and what people are being asked to do is embarrassing. Like i said rapid tests should already be done and deployed that would help tremendously. A lot of vaccines are already about to be or in phase 1 clinical trials but I could see us eventually just saying fuck it and letting them out and safety be damned. Honestly if you want to weigh what is happening to the economy, plus whats happening with the virus, to the safety of the vaccine I kinda say just do it.

I don't think its well known how or why the vaccines can already be in clinical trials so quickly. Most vaccine companies have their proprietary system, that system is almost plug and play. The goal is to trick your immune system into seeing the virus and making an immune response when the virus isnt actually infecting you. Depending on the platform most vaccines will then consist either mRNA that gets turned into viral protein, virus like particles (VLPs) that express proteins, DNA that is in a different viral delivery vector an so on. The safety of these plug and play systems is well known because most have gone through the full clinical process before, its just a matter that they are considered new because they are expressing new proteins etc... from the new virus. Yet here's the thing if you go with the models, everyone is going to get the damn virus anyway, and that virus is going to express its own proteins itself so who cares if you get a vaccine thats about to do the same thing on the backbone of a platform thats already been shown to be safe. I bet as soon as an efficacy study is deemed go enough vaccines get rolled out, its the only way.

Back