• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

Blanket waivers seem rife for abuse but grifters gonna grift.

Bezos w/ the super villain laugh.

stock market behavior in light of the 10+ million new unemployment claims is just wild

Would anyone like to elaborate on "the blanket waiver of liability thing" ?

I claim ignorance.

Seems like it’s saying you can’t hold your employer liable if you get Covid at work. Who could ever see that happening?

^ Ah, gotcha. Thanks 06. That does seems very stupid and probably is going to lead to some fairly nasty labor disputes later this summer. Which is probably part of Trump's plan, villainize the unions and blame them for a slowly recovery.

The fact that a large majority of the unemployed will actually make more money over the next couple months may be a part of it.

link?

I'm more pointing out the fact that so, so many businesses are not going to be producing, generating revenue, earning a profit and yet the stock market rumbles on

Blanket waivers would seem to discourage business owners from keeping the workplace clean in order to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

In NC and every state that I know of, you can't file a civil lawsuit against your employer for an injury or disease contracted at work so long as the employer has workers' compensation coverage. I think it's debatable whether any employees who contract coronavirus would be eligible for workers' compensation benefits in NC. You generally must prove an occupational exposure, that your job placed you at a higher risk for contraction than the general public, and that your workplace exposure actually caused the disease. The first element is easy. But when coronavirus is running rampant through the State, it's tough for most people to say they had a higher risk. That's why I think healthcare workers probably have the best case. But then, the issue becomes proving causation. It's very difficult to prove you contracted the virus at work, when it could easily have been a family member or a shopping cart. That's a long way of saying, I'm not sure the employer waivers really matter.

It's also easy to scoff at the idea of cutting capital gains taxes right now. But if you're in the position of having to sell assets to keep your business or family afloat, it makes a whole lot of sense not to have the double hit of taxes on top of that.

Yep, NOW is the time to cut taxes, increase spending, etc.

Not the last 3.5 years.

Thx, Pubs, for wasting federal fiscal opportunities afforded by the recovery.

Yep, NOW is the time to cut taxes, increase spending, etc.

Not the last 3.5 years.

Thx, Pubs, for wasting federal fiscal opportunities afforded by the recovery.

Agreed. We should have been keeping our powder dry and using those tools when they were actually needed. But the #1 goal of this administration is to inflate its economic stats. It was just a matter of time before that would hurt the country, they just hoped it would be after November.

Back