• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

Yet again Brad makes a point that is opposite of the one he intended.

It’s really impressive in a perverse and moronic way.

Just the framework to move in that direction.

Unfortunately, although largely a Republican plan, Obamacare has met with pathological (hazardous) opposition from...ignoramus so-called “conservatives”

It's really something at how many conservatives regard decent healthcare as a privilege and not a right. I've heard a number of them simply say as much over the years (mostly OWGs who, you guessed it, are on Medicare.)

So all these people who lost their jobs and their health insurance in the last month can just sign up for Obamacare to stay covered?

Nope - Feel free to quote where I posted this. But the people who reside in a state with a state run exchange certainly can. Almost all of the state run exchanges have already allowed a special enrollment period to make it easier to enroll quickly in the ACA exchange for those who lost employer provided health insurance.

One of the big selling points of Obamacare was that it decoupled health insurance from employment. OK - so why would people elect to stay on their shitty employer sponsored plans instead of entering the ACA exchange?

Also interesting that the federal government initially tied health insurance to employment under the New Deal. Who was the president again during the New Deal?

The federal government did not directly “tie” insurance to employment. FDR signed an EO freezing wages in the middle of WW2 to try and curb increasing inflation as a result of companies consistently raising salaries to win out on the best workers. As a result of this freeze companies started offering better benefits to circumvent the EO and attract top talent without additional salaries. Then a couple years later the IRS exempted company provided insurance from taxation which then made it cheaper to acquire insurance through work.

So yes FDR was the president during the time we saw a rise in employment/insurance coupling but I have never found anything to suggest this was a direct intent of the administration beyond efforts associated with the macro economy specifically during a world war.

I apologize if I misconstrued the intent of your post Angus, but it reads as if you’re suggesting that the federal government intentionally tied the two which is not the case.

The Republican record wrt healthcare reform over the last dozen years (at least) is clear. And shamefully atrocious.

Anyone wanting to do something to try and move forward with positive reform has an easy mechanism available to exercise influence. Do not vote for any Republicans for any national or statewide office. At least. Vote for the Democratic candidate.

Nope - Feel free to quote where I posted this. But the people who reside in a state with a state run exchange certainly can. Almost all of the state run exchanges have already allowed a special enrollment period to make it easier to enroll quickly in the ACA exchange for those who lost employer provided health insurance.

One of the big selling points of Obamacare was that it decoupled health insurance from employment. OK - so why would people elect to stay on their shitty employer sponsored plans instead of entering the ACA exchange?

Also interesting that the federal government initially tied health insurance to employment under the New Deal. Who was the president again during the New Deal?

Shitty Republicans didn't expand Medicaid, drove Democrats to drop a public option and other good policy, and then voted against it anyway.

You know his intention was a weird gotcha on Obama. Unfortunately he's dumb and did it wrong.

You know his intention was a weird gotcha on Obama. Unfortunately he's dumb and did it wrong.

The degree to which Brad is wrong is frightening....but the degree to which he THINKS he is right is fucking staggering.

He hits "POST" and sits back with a warm fuzzy feeling, all smiles, because he got them libs.

The degree to which Brad is wrong is frightening....but the degree to which he THINKS he is right is fucking staggering.

He hits "POST" and sits back with a warm fuzzy feeling, all smiles, because he got them libs.

Yeah. There are posters who believe smart things in a dumb way. There are posters who believe dumb things in a smart way (i.e. Junebug). Angus believes really dumb things in a really dumb way.

Just put him on ignore. It's not even entertaining. It's just sad. He's a rich boy version of my friends' dumb friends from home on Facebook.

I think it depends based upon the employer but you’re offered COBRA coverage, which is crazy expensive for most people.

I think it also depends on the Insurance company. I was furloughed a while back for an extended period of time and the health insurance company contacted us to let us know that they would honor our insurance in anticipation that they would receive back pay on the coverage after the furlough. It made pay roll a mess once we returned to work.

Damn - You guys are super smart and finally cracked the code... I only post over here to glean knowledge from the MENSA society members and winners in life like Sig, Ph, and other hall of famers of the Tunnels Left.

Hopefully some of the intellectual prowess from the board will one day rub off on me so I'm able to register as a Dem and become as enlightened and successful in life as the members here!

*fingers crossed*

Brad is a weird dude.

He really is. When I graduated from Wake, my first job was teaching 8th grade Language Arts at a middle school. Reading his response a few posts above just gave me serious flashbacks...

Just because Trump is appointing Eric Trump to take his place doesn't mean something funky is going on.

Damn - You guys are super smart and finally cracked the code... I only post over here to glean knowledge from the MENSA society members and winners in life like Sig, Ph, and other hall of famers of the Tunnels Left.

Hopefully some of the intellectual prowess from the board will one day rub off on me so I'm able to register as a Dem and become as enlightened and successful in life as the members here!

*fingers crossed*

"I got laid off when they closed that asbestos factory, and wouldn't you know it, the army cuts my disability pension because they said that the plate in my head wasn't big enough."

*fingers crossed*

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back