• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

I think it also depends on the Insurance company. I was furloughed a while back for an extended period of time and the health insurance company contacted us to let us know that they would honor our insurance in anticipation that they would receive back pay on the coverage after the furlough. It made pay roll a mess once we returned to work.

I’m sure but good on them for doing that. My company is paying our insurance through April then we have the option of using the marketplace or Cobra.

The federal government did not directly “tie” insurance to employment. FDR signed an EO freezing wages in the middle of WW2 to try and curb increasing inflation as a result of companies consistently raising salaries to win out on the best workers. As a result of this freeze companies started offering better benefits to circumvent the EO and attract top talent without additional salaries. Then a couple years later the IRS exempted company provided insurance from taxation which then made it cheaper to acquire insurance through work.

So yes FDR was the president during the time we saw a rise in employment/insurance coupling but I have never found anything to suggest this was a direct intent of the administration beyond efforts associated with the macro economy specifically during a world war.

I apologize if I misconstrued the intent of your post Angus, but it reads as if you’re suggesting that the federal government intentionally tied the two which is not the case.

I agree with the top part of the post (Kaiser has a role in this too in CA). But, the feds have perpetuated the employer system through the use of the tax code. The single biggest tax exempt item? Mortgages? Nope. Charity? Nope. Employer paid health insurance premiums. If you buy insurance on your own, no such luck. I do think there is a case to be made for employer coverage but I certainly understand the arguments against it.

To the other above posts, the entire marketplace allows for a SEP for lost of credible coverage. Anyone who loses access to their employer coverage gets the opportunity to get coverage on/off the exchange for a period of time (I think 60 days). And many will get access to a subsidy making the overage more affordable than electing COBRA. By the way, there is a huge COBRA loophole if you ever need to access it for a short period of time...PM me for details.

Im not sure Trump refusing to open the exchanges is all that material, especially since HHS will cover COVID related expenses for the uninsured (or they are talking about doing that as part of the stimulus package).

I’m sure but good on them for doing that. My company is paying our insurance through April then we have the option of using the marketplace or Cobra.

You can also get a Short Term plan (up to 364 days of coverage). They are often much cheaper than ACA options esp if you dont get a subsidy. You do need to pass underwriting.

The National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC) found a 12-percentage point decrease in the share of apartment households that paid rent through April 5, in the first review of the effect of the COVID-19 outbreak on rent payments. The Tracker found 69 percent of households had paid their rent by April 5; this compares to 81 percent that had paid by March 5, 2020, and 82 percent that had paid by the same time last year.

https://www.nmhc.org/research-insight/nmhc-rent-payment-tracker/

Is there a gotcha in there or are you actually attempting to contribute to the conversation?
Your usual persona is obnoxious and tired. I’d welcome serious discussion.

Just throw him on ignore.

The groupthink by those posting this board isn't already bad enough, ph I mean tobacco.

Is col anus taking some weird victory lap on behalf of dolt 45? So weird.

Angus is trying really hard to take the focus away from his and his party's leader terrible leadership and corruption by doing everything but giving us his opinion on how Trump is handling this crisis. Posters profession? Fair game. Northam with a mask? Fair game. The republican president? Woah woah that's too far to comment on.

Angus is trying really hard to take the focus away from his and his party's leader terrible leadership and corruption by doing everything but giving us his opinion on how Trump is handling this crisis. Posters profession? Fair game. Northam with a mask? Fair game. The republican president? Woah woah that's too far to comment on.

How is a community organizer qualified to comment on any of this stuff?

^ Thanks WFUtoUSC on Tapatalk the videos were loaded

Private gains, socialize losses. Every single one of these corporations should be paying heavy interest in gov't loans or they can go through bankruptcy like anybody else.

Back