• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stop Pulling Against Our Team

What a stupid thread

First I think most people on here do not actively root for Wake to lose. Bzzz has just taken them to such levels of despair that they arent upset when we lose. There is a big difference.

And I dont fault anyone who does cheer for us to lose at this point. They do it because they feel losses in the short term are better for OUR team in the long term

This. I don't root for us to lose. But I do watch our games with a depressed detachment because I'm watching a product that is not serious about playing basketball. Like football and other action sports, basketball is an emotional game. You have to bring energy and focus in order to win. The OP needs to take a step back and watch our energy level and togetherness, or lack thereof. We simply lack discipline and mental toughness. You also have to play defense. As I've opined here many times, FG% D is the most important stat in college basketball. Buzzdick's teams at Wake and Colorado have been last (or maybe 2nd to last) in the ACC and B-12 in FG% D every year. You may out shoot an unmotivated State or Miami team on a given night, but you have zero chance of winning on a regular basis if you're last in your conference in FG% D.

The OP is yet another reason for a 100 post rule.

It's not about rooting for us to lose. It's about NOT WATCHING AT ALL AND HOPING WE LOSE. Apathy says more than actively doing jack shit.

Though I still root for us to lose in absentia.

Why watch? You know what is going to happen. Somewhere around the 10 minute mark in the second half, buzzball will begin.

This is when the coaching chess match starts. We hardly ever win this match.

A brave first thread. If Bzz turns it around next year I'll be happy too. Let's get back to supporting Wake Forest and stop with this negativity. Bzz turned Air Force and the Nuggets around and Wake will go to the dance next year with a little luck. Who is with me?

Maybe I'm feeding the troll, but [Redacted] never turned anything around. Air Force was already good, and maybe you can give him a little credit for Denver, but they also drafted Melo and he got run out of town on a rail. Also, Wake will need a whole lot more than just a little luck to make the tournament next season. We were at least 8 wins away this season, probably more given the SOS. And our leading scorer is gone. Luck won't overcome that. The team needs a good coach. Hell, even a decent one could get Wake to the bubble. [Redacted] has proven time and again that he is not close to even being decent.

I still haven't pulled for us to lose. I thought about it before the ACCT vs Maryland after that "insider" thread said that barring a deep run in the tourney he would be fired but once the game started I couldn't help myself. Thank/blame my dad for making sure I don't remember a day I didn't cheer for Wake to win.

This is where I was as well. Watching and cheering the deacs on, but then a sigh of relief kinda when Maryland started to pull away. But, at that time, I thought we might still fire buzz.

To answer the question about why I didn't post this before baseball season, the reason is that as another poster said, the Maryland game was a tipping point for me, but in another way. I have no problem with apathy, and not caring. I understand it and I am getting there myself. I have no problem with people who don't watch games and in the back of their minds, think that losing wouldn't be such a bad thing because we could possibly get a new coach. My problem is with people actively pulling for another team to beat us. If someone is going to do that, stay at home. Don't come to a Wake Forest game and clap when another team scores. I don't like seeing that. I understand that others might not care. I respect that opinion, but I do not share it. At the Maryland game, some guy then takes it a step further and verbally assaults our coach in front of his players and everyone in the arena. I do not equate that conduct with the vast majority of the posters that I read on this board, but it is an extension of the vitriol that I read from some folks. All that being said, my comment does come off as a little highhanded and Pollyannaish, and I didn't intend for it to sound that way.

I never root for the Deacs to lose, but that doesn't mean I took any joy in us winning this year either.

It's hilarious how the guy who yells "25th and Diamond" gets them more motivated than Buzz

I totally understand the frustration with the performance of our basketball program over the last three years. I am frustrated. I want and expect better. I will not, however, pull for my Deacons to lose. I hate reading posts where people who profess to be Deacon fans pull for us to lose, or hope that we don't attract good recruits. I understand the thought process, but IMO, if we are playing Duke, and you pull for Duke to win, you are at that moment a Dookie, which means that by definition, you suck. I hear the argument that Ron Wellman did the same thing by saying that we would sacrifice games for our new culture. I understand the logical connection, but I don't understand justifying a bad viewpoint by saying that it is the same as another bad viewpoint. I think we need a new coach. However, if Coach [Redacted] by some miracle turns this around next year, I will be happy for my Deacs. Just my two cents, and I understand other opinions, but I just can't get with people pulling for my School to lose.

cheer.gif

This isn't "our" team. This is Wellman and [Redacted]'s team. That has been made abundantly clear over the last three seasons. I pull against them and for Wake Forest. A loss for [Redacted] is a win for Wake Forest and our student athletes in the long term. I'm never happy to see our kids lose, but I don't like seeing [Redacted] win. Much like Wellman has stated, I'm willing to trade losses now for the long term success of our program and student athletes.

I totally understand the frustration with the performance of our basketball program over the last three years.

Starting this thread is proof that you don't actually understand the frustration with the performance of our basketball program over the last three years.

Last edited:
Honestly it is hard to call this 'our' team. The AD could give a fuck about the students or the alumni. This is Wellman's creation and he is comfortable forcing his 1960's view of basketball on everyone just to show how smart he is.

This is so true, it hurts.

Starting this thread is proof that you don't actually understand the frustrating with the performance of our basketball program over the last three years.

Yeah, too many of our fans don't even understand the sport. They're just happy to root for a Wake uniform. Those type of fans should tune in to the NCAAs the next couple of weeks and try to identify teams not named NC A&T and Liberty with whom we could compete. South Dakota St would have ripped us a new one, and they lost by double digits.

Back