• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Study on the Impact of Conceal & Carry Laws

"These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws may cause an increase in gun-related murders at the state level."

Pretty strong language. Look forward to reading the whole article. Definitely have questions after reading the abstract. I'm not sure state level data can get anywhere close to determining causation.

"These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws may cause an increase in gun-related murders at the state level."

Pretty strong language. Look forward to reading the whole article. Definitely have questions after reading the abstract. I'm not sure state level data can get anywhere close to determining causation.

If you have full text access, I'm also curious what the researchers' funding sources were

"Using data for the period 1980 to 2009 and controlling for state and year fixed effects, the results of the present study suggest that states with restrictions on the carrying of concealed weapons had higher gun-related murder rates than other states. It was also found that assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level. These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws may cause an increase in gun-related murders at the state level. "

"Did not SIGNIFICANTLY affect" - didn't say DIDN'T affect

Did those state have higher or lower rates AFTER the concealed laws? Did those states have lower rates than the other states prior to the concealed carry laws?

Did the rates in the non-concealed carry states drop or increase?

A typically misleading thread.

This. Also would like to see whether the study controls for the fact that states with more restrictive gun laws generally enact them in response to issues with gun crime in the first place.

My expectation would be that these laws make no statistical difference either positive or negative on crime rates. This is because in major cities gun crimes are committed in areas where have been a lot of illegally purchased firearms and it has been this way for years. So introducing legally concealed firearms wouldn't serve as a deterent. And people who are legally carrying firearms don't statistically commit lots of crimes anyway. I'd expect it was a great big non-issue.

Interesting that the focus is on gun "murders" and not gun deaths. My big concern with CC laws would be accidental deaths that might not pull a murder charge.

Interesting that the focus is on gun "murders" and not gun deaths. My big concern with CC laws would be accidental deaths that might not pull a murder charge.

An excellent point. Plus it's not just about murder. What about other crimes?

I believe that CCPs probably have a positive impact on reducing crime. I understand the logic of that argument. My concern is with accidental deaths and guns being accessible to kids and/or burglars.

I don't think they have any impact on the crime rate. Criminals don't plan asking "Does Joe carry?"

hm, wonder why the guy wasted all that time and energy on the research? he should've just asked RJ

/thread

I don't think they have any impact on the crime rate. Criminals don't plan asking "Does Joe carry?"

Why wouldn't they? If you were going to mug someone, wouldn't you try to pick someone who you think couldn't immediately kick your ass? So why wouldn't the likelihood of your victim having a gun weigh into that decision as well?

just applied for my PA CCP. my favorite questions on the application include:

- Is your character and reputation such that you would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety?

and

- Are you an individual who is a habitual drunkard, or who is addicted to or an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug?

just applied for my PA CCP. my favorite questions on the application include:

- Is your character and reputation such that you would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety?

and

- Are you an individual who is a habitual drunkard, or who is addicted to or an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug?

You did answer No and Yes didn't you?

Why wouldn't they? If you were going to mug someone, wouldn't you try to pick someone who you think couldn't immediately kick your ass? So why wouldn't the likelihood of your victim having a gun weigh into that decision as well?

It's CONCEALED carry.

Would you put anything on an application just to be able to legally carry a gun?

firearm-murders-equiv.jpg

Back