• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Study on the Impact of Conceal & Carry Laws

Only for proponents of the laws. The concept that a mugger thinks about concealed carry is ludicrous.

firearm-murders-equiv.jpg

Concealed or not there is a pretty solid statistical correlation..

That's the point. If you don't know they have a gun, but you know that they could have a gun because the law allows them to, then you are less likely to attack them. If you know they in all likelihood do not have a gun because having one would be illegal and your victim appers in all respects to be a law-abiding citizen, then you as the criminal approach them with minimal fear.

firearm-murders-equiv.jpg

Concealed or not there is a pretty solid statistical correlation..

Yeah, that there is a multiplication factor of 10,000 before you can get the number of guns (presumably all guns) and the number of handgun deaths to fit onto the same graph across all countries.

Doesn't really make sense to map for all countries. Placing us among a peer group does.

We have 5000+% the number of handgun deaths/million people of UK, Japan and Germany. Yep, having so many guns really makes us safer.

when talking about gun deaths they really should "control" (or at least break out) for suicides
we're still way over (other countries) as far as gun deaths go, but 2/3 of gun death in the country (approx 20,000 out of 30,000 total gun deaths) are suicide and given that the total suicide rate in the US isn't especially high compared to other countries, I would assume that gun availability and suicide rates are largely unrelated.

Last edited:
when talking about gun deaths they really should "control" (or at least break out) for suicides
we're still way over (other countries) as far as gun deaths go, but 2/3 of gun death in the country (approx 20,000 out of 30,000 total gun deaths) are suicide and given that the total suicide rate in the US isn't especially high compared to other countries, I would assume that gun availability and suicide rates are largely unrelated.

I think you have the statistics reversed. From the figures I've seen typically about 1/3 of US gun deaths are suicide. Roughly 2/3 are homicide, unintentional, or undetermined.

ETA: I just realized I was reading the columns wrong. You are correct with your 2/3 homicide figure.

STUDY: More Guns Lead To More Suicides

Harvard study finds a gun in the home increases risk of suicide

Haven't been able to read the study yet. I'll try to check it out tonight between watching two football games.

If the study is sound, it may be evidence that gun laws or lack thereof are a big placebo effect. Having guns doesn't make us any safer than restricting guns or vice versa. The important thing is that at a state-level, they make people FEEL safe.

When CHL laws first were passed on a widespread basis in the late 90s, gun grabbers screamed that it would lead to the Wild West. That never happened and there was even some evidence that it reduced violent crime. Faced with this, the gun grabbers lowered the bar ("there's no evidence that it has lowered crime!") or changed the conversation (general gun violence compared with other countries or suicides via guns). This thread is a pretty good representation of that.

I think that's a given that the suicide rate would decrease if there wasn't a gun in the house. I am suspecting that gun suicides are also higher when either alcohol or other meds are involved. In the end, none of those things are going away including guns.

Those were just to refute Bacon's claim. Though if you read the second one, the focus is not on reducing guns, but increasing awareness of the link between gun availability and suicide so that people will be more inclined to get guns out of the house when a family member is depressed or going through a rough patch.

When CHL laws first were passed on a widespread basis in the late 90s, gun grabbers screamed that it would lead to the Wild West. That never happened and there was even some evidence that it reduced violent crime. Faced with this, the gun grabbers lowered the bar ("there's no evidence that it has lowered crime!") or changed the conversation (general gun violence compared with other countries or suicides via guns). This thread is a pretty good representation of that.

Yep.

I doubt these laws make any real difference one way or the other. I was concerned when MN passed its law allowing folks to carry loaded guns that there'd be this Wild West mentality. That certainly hasn't happened. I also doubt it has done a thing to lower crime. Gangs still get illegal firearms. Crime still happens.

That's the point. If you don't know they have a gun, but you know that they could have a gun because the law allows them to, then you are less likely to attack them. If you know they in all likelihood do not have a gun because having one would be illegal and your victim appers in all respects to be a law-abiding citizen, then you as the criminal approach them with minimal fear.

Solid theory

Back