• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Studying for the bar

Maybe if you're lucky you'll be in the distinguished 80% that pass

Seriously. It is a test of minimal competency, and aside from being spread out over two days, it will likely be easier than any test you took your 1L year. When you just consider first time takers, btw, I think the passage rate is closer to 90%.

Look at the guy to your left, now the guy on the right, finally look at yourself - all of you should pass unless one of you completely shits the bed with a panic attack.

...i've considered law school, but really? the idea of having to study full time for a test sounds miserable enough to keep me from it. no effing way.

There's absolutely no reason why anyone would need to study 14 hours a day for the bar unless they did nothing prior to July 4th or they're a total moron. There are about a thousand much better reasons not to go to law school.

Haven't done both, but the saying is that at the beginning lawyers have it easy (LSAT is easy to study for) whereas doctors suffer (MCAT studying is brutal), but it evens up on the other end, because studying for the bar is brutal, and the medical boards are relatively easy. Among the doctors and lawyers I know (I'm a lawyer), this seems mostly true.

Get out of here. The bar exam is tougher than med boards? Seriously?

Get out of here. The bar exam is tougher than med boards? Seriously?

Yeah, I'm questioning this too.
You actually have to be smart to get into med school and take the Med Boards....that's probably why you might think they are "easier" than the bar.
It seems like any dumb ass can get into law school and take the bar....not saying everyone that goes to law school is an idiot, but there definitely are some (like in business school) but it seems that in order to become a doctor, you actually have to be legitimately intelligent in some capacity

You actually have to be smart to get into med school and take the Med Boards....that's probably why you might think they are "easier" than the bar.
It seems like any dumb ass can get into law school and take the bar....not saying everyone that goes to law school is an idiot, but there definitely are some (like in business school) but it seems that in order to become a doctor, you actually have to be legitimately intelligent in some capacity

My thoughts as well. If I were smarter, I would have been a doctor.

My thoughts as well. If I were smarter, I would have been a doctor.

I dunno. There are a lot of moron doctors too. Some of them are my friends. I seriously know 3-4 guys that made crappy grades in college, and had to take additional courses to qualify for med school, like they went and got 1 year certificate degrees etc, to bolster their resume to finally get into med school. I also know a couple of guys who along this same route went to med school in the Carribbean, and then transfered to a normal school here.

I dont have any perspective for numbers, but it seems to me there is defs a population of fairly unsmart people who are going to crappy med schools and becoming doctors.

Some brilliant doctors are also basically retarded when it comes to most other aspects of normal life and certainly business. I have represented a few who decided that because they were great at being a doctor, they would obviously be great at every other business, since they are so smart. New non-medical biz subsequently crashes and threatens to bring down the entirety of their remaining finances.

Apparently that's what all the cool kids are doing these days. Gone (or at least going) are the days of sitting in an auditorium and listening to the drone of BarBri lectures - they do the whole thing online (lectures, practice questions, etc.).

My entire course is online. Since I was taking Estate Planning and Partnership Tax this summer and finishing up my paper, I needed a little bit more flexibility.

Definitely true that the boards are more substantive, but studying for the bar I think can be a more difficult experience. I'm sure part of it is that doctors are smarter on average, but I think the idea of the saying, at least, is that med school prepares you really well for the boards, whereas law school doesn't prepare you for the bar. Med students have to memorize things in every class, and are constantly tested on their accumulation of knowledge. By the time they take the boards, it's pretty much all in there. In contrast, law students don't have to memorize hardly anything (at least I didn't), so trying to cram it all in over the summer was more stressful. That's the idea, at least.

Definitely true that the boards are more substantive, but studying for the bar I think can be a more difficult experience. I'm sure part of it is that doctors are smarter on average, but I think the idea of the saying, at least, is that med school prepares you really well for the boards, whereas law school doesn't prepare you for the bar. Med students have to memorize things in every class, and are constantly tested on their accumulation of knowledge. By the time they take the boards, it's pretty much all in there. In contrast, law students don't have to memorize hardly anything (at least I didn't), so trying to cram it all in over the summer was more stressful. That's the idea, at least.

Yet somehow pretty much everyone that's literate and went to law school passes

I dunno. There are a lot of moron doctors too. Some of them are my friends. I seriously know 3-4 guys that made crappy grades in college, and had to take additional courses to qualify for med school, like they went and got 1 year certificate degrees etc, to bolster their resume to finally get into med school. I also know a couple of guys who along this same route went to med school in the Carribbean, and then transfered to a normal school here.

I dont have any perspective for numbers, but it seems to me there is defs a population of fairly unsmart people who are going to crappy med schools and becoming doctors.

Some brilliant doctors are also basically retarded when it comes to most other aspects of normal life and certainly business. I have represented a few who decided that because they were great at being a doctor, they would obviously be great at every other business, since they are so smart. New non-medical biz subsequently crashes and threatens to bring down the entirety of their remaining finances.

Fair points. Especially the ones that go to the sketch off-shore places.

When I took the bar exam in 1979 (Alabama), it was 3 fuckin' days! 2 of essay and 1 multistate.

That's how Texas (where I took it), is now. 3 hours first day, 6 hour MBE second day, 6 hours of 12 essays the third day.

My advice to people studying for the bar is to not listen to those who say "it's a test of minimal competency" or "its the biggest head fake of a test ever," etc. There is no reason to take this test lightly. None. Smart friends of mine who thought they could coast on studying either failed or came very close to it. Do the work.

That's how Texas (where I took it), is now. 3 hours first day, 6 hour MBE second day, 6 hours of 12 essays the third day.

My advice to people studying for the bar is to not listen to those who say "it's a test of minimal competency" or "its the biggest head fake of a test ever," etc. There is no reason to take this test lightly. None. Smart friends of mine who thought they could coast on studying either failed or came very close to it. Do the work.

I strangely agree with you while still maintaining that its truly a test of minimal competency. Don't blow it off, but do study.

F that noise. I've been so distracted the last few days...I think I've just had about all I can stand.

fml. i'm gonna be ok on the mbe and the mpt. but my essays are going to be a pile of shit.

Back