• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Suggestions for fall trip to Germany

iodeac

Reaction score
Mrs I/O and myself are running the Berlin marathon on Sunday, September 29th. As of now I'm thinking we should fly into Munich and take the train to Berlin, instead of vice versa, since it seems like there are more accessible places to see/visit using Munich as a home base.

I was wondering about some possible day trips from Munich. We plan to hit up Oktoberfest, but would like to visit some surrounding countries if possible. It seems like Salzburg might be feasible, Vienna is a little further away. I would love to also see Switzerland if the train ride is short enough. I've never been to Germany, Austria or Switzerland so I'd love to be able to see all three countries.

Any recommendations for what we could hope to see/do from Munich? Still looking into flights, so far they seem to be around $1200 with one connection. Thanks!

Last edited:
Frankfurt may be cheaper than Munich for your flight. There's a train station at the airport.

We spent a week in Munich, did day trips to Salzburg and the black forest (Neuschwanstein). They were easy and enjoyable.

From LAX there is about $150 difference between Frankfurt and Munich and there are many more flights.

What surprises me even more is that it is $200-300 cheaper from LAX than from where he's departing.

I though Koln was awesome. . .

From LAX there is about $150 difference between Frankfurt and Munich and there are many more flights.

What surprises me even more is that it is $200-300 cheaper from LAX than from where he's departing.

But he is visiting Munich and would have to pay to get himself to Munich from Frankfurt. Seems like the $150 difference is worth the hassle.

It's only about a four hour train ride from Frankfurt to Bern, Switzerland. That's supposed to be one of the most beautiful train rides in Europe.

RJ is on to something here. How long will you be in country?

Our flight would leave sometime on Thursday, Sep 26th. Marathon in Berlin is on the 29th, probably fly back on Saturday October 5th.

Is there any reason to fly to Frankfurt aside from possibly cheaper airfare? Also, about how far would Switzerland be by train?

Our flight would leave sometime on Thursday, Sep 26th. Marathon in Berlin is on the 29th, probably fly back on Saturday October 5th.

Is there any reason to fly to Frankfurt aside from possibly cheaper airfare? Also, about how far would Switzerland be by train?

"It's only about a four hour train ride from Frankfurt to Bern, Switzerland. That's supposed to be one of the most beautiful train rides in Europe."

It's also about a 4 hour train ride to Zurich (about $160). It's also a beautiful ride through the Black Forest.

In my one trip to Europe, I loved Munich, Vienna, Salzburg, and Lucerne. Would love to go back to all of them.

Lucerne might be the most naturally beautiful place that I've ever been to in my life. What breathtaking views.

I took a train from Lucerne to Munich and the views were great all along that path. Does take up a good portion of a day, however.

Stayed here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...eviews-Seehotel_Hermitage_Luzern-Lucerne.html

Amazing hotel, although a bit pricy.

I know the Frankfurt airport can be nightmare for connections and is still kind of a zoo if that was your origin and departure point because it is so huge. Unless you have something you want to see or do in Frankfurt, by the time you add in additional train tickets and the time spent traveling it probably won't save much if any money.

Strasburg is awesome, Switzerland was less than impressive to me after the Austrian Alps.

Strasburg is very close to Frankfurt...as is the spa at Baden Baden that you might need after the race :)

It's only about a four hour train ride from Frankfurt to Bern, Switzerland. That's supposed to be one of the most beautiful train rides in Europe.

At that point it makes more sense to fly into Basel.

I recently bought tickets from Charlotte to Berlin for about $950. If you're going to be up there for the marathon at the beginning of the trip it might be worth flying in there and then going down to Bavaria. Of course you'd have to find your way back up to Berlin so it might not be worth it.

"It's only about a four hour train ride from Frankfurt to Bern, Switzerland. That's supposed to be one of the most beautiful train rides in Europe."

It's also about a 4 hour train ride to Zurich (about $160). It's also a beautiful ride through the Black Forest.

The ICE trains through the black forest are not as scenic as you would think.

Train from Munich to Vienna is just over four and a half hours. Not a bad trip, but you want to stay more than a day in Vienna.

Back