• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Suggestions for fall trip to Germany

I have been all over that area. Salzburg is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited, especially at night. Highly recommended. I enjoyed Vienna less--just felt like another big city to me, but it was near the end of one of my trips and I was pretty wiped out and ready to get home.

You really can't go wrong in that part of the world. Have a blast.

The train trip from Munich to Zurich is awesome (bring beers for the trip). If you go, make sure you take a ride on Lake Zurich.

I've done Oktoberfest twice now - once I did the high class, inclusive Kafer tent. The other time we did the shenanigans Oktoberfest, which was a completely different kind of awesome. The S/U Bahn is the greatest public transportation system on earth.

I spent ten days in Germany this summer. We spent one night in Salzburg, which was about a four hour car ride from Munich. I think the consensus was that one night was not enough in Salzburg, but we really enjoyed the time that we did spend there. There are tons of trips that you can take from there, the Eagles Nest was the one I was most interested in (and the Sound of Music tour!). We also spend a couple nights in Garmisch, which I believe is a couple hours from Munich, but was a good point from which to visit Neuschwanstein, the Zugspitz (the highest point in Germany), and where you can do some hiking in Park Nock Guell (sp?) and other outdoor activities. We stumbled upon a very fun Alpine Festival while in Garmisch that was basically a summer version of Octoberfest and it was AWESOME. A little bit further from Munich, about three hours to the West, is Rothenburg ob der Tauber, which is in my opinion, is definitely worth the trip. It is a really cute and beautiful walled city, and may have been the highlight of my trip.

try and catch a Bayern Munich game if you can.. the best place in germany to futbol game.. wish i could see one in person

Definitely plan on doing that...I would prefer to see Dortmund but it's really far away.

ya any good european futbol team beats out any american soccer game.. just no comparison in crowd atmosphere and tradition i dont want to say its better than our actual football traditions cause i might be tarred and feathered but it just might be

How much time do you have? Berlin itself is worth at least three days not including the marathon, a fascinating city.

I love Munich as well, which is also worth at least three days on its own. If you want to drive for the fun of it, drive up from Munich to Rothenburg, a charming medieval town in northern Bavaria, then drive from Rothenburg down the Romantic Road to the famous castles. Heidelberg is also incredibly charming.

Back