• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sunsetter Awnings

Scratching my head at the tags.

I'm looking at purchasing an awning versus an offset patio umbrella for the deck. Of course, Sunsetter is all over the TV and direct mailings and it looks like a good deal. Upon further research, it seems the reviews for their products are very mixed.

So you've seen the ads that make them look like a must have trailer park accessory and you are still considering one? You must have the double wide in the back on the corner lot.

I dont know of anyone who has them on their home, but similar awnings have worked well for our RV's in the past.

So you've seen the ads that make them look like a must have trailer park accessory and you are still considering one? You must have the double wide in the back on the corner lot.

Nice and salty! Sorry to dissappoint, but I do not live in a double wide.

I didn't think they looked terrible. Definitely do not like the striped versions.

You seem to be very opinionated about the subject, yet offer no real discourse.

Maybe you should check out the awning forum.

I'm with TAB on this. They look like total redneck gear, add nothing to the value of your home, and people who visit your home will laugh at you behind your back.

SA_headerphoto1.jpg

Pic of deacfan78 cooking out with his Swinging Senior friends hanging out under the Sunsetter Awning.

I'm with TAB on this. They look like total redneck gear, add nothing to the value of your home, and people who visit your home will laugh at you behind your back.

Although not a big fan of HOA's, things like this is where they actually may provide some value. If you hate your neighbors, I say go for it, and toss in an above-grounder to boot.

"Hey df78, make sure you don't undercook my burger! A bout with e coli will probably kill me!"

Okay. Would you go with a patio umbrella then? Are patio umbrellas redneck gear?

Just looking to be able to enjoy my deck in the summer months without getting laughed at behind my back.

Yeah, definitely go with the umbrella. Don't forget to spray it with ScotchGuard.

SA_headerphoto1.jpg

Pic of deacfan78 cooking out with his Swinging Senior friends hanging out under the Sunsetter Awning.

No way! Would not purchase a striped version. That is a nice looking double wide also!

Okay. Would you go with a patio umbrella then? Are patio umbrellas redneck gear?

Just looking to be able to enjoy my deck in the summer months without getting laughed at behind my back.

I have something like this:
12863765.jpg

Mine has shelves and is built a little more sturdy. Its bolted down to the back deck. I've found they're more dependable than a standard umbrella. They're great for casual outdoor dining, and escaping the sun during the summer months.

I have something like this:
12863765.jpg

Mine has shelves and is built a little more sturdy. Its bolted down to the back deck. I've found they're more dependable than a standard umbrella. They're great for casual outdoor dining, and escaping the sun during the summer months.

Looked at something like that, but the location of the stairs on my deck leading down to my mom's trailer...I mean to my back yard, do not make something like that an option.

Basically, the post would sit right in the middle of where the opening for the stairs are.

Last edited:
If its not too personal, do you have a picture of your back deck? After seeing what you're working with, I can probably give you a better suggestion. We went through the same process last year before we decided on ours.

If its not too personal, do you have a picture of your back deck? After seeing what you're working with, I can probably give you a better suggestion. We went through the same process last year before we decided on ours.

I can take one tonight and post. The previous owners painted it so I am in the process of pressure washing and sanding all of the paint off. Actually, pressure washing did nothing but remove any loose paint...anyway...to describe it until I get a pic posted its about a 12 x 12 deck if you walk out the entry door from my kitchen, the stairs are on the far right corner at the edge. Not a good set up in my opinion.

Back