• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sunsetter Awnings

I sketeched it out and scanned it in, but can't figure out how to post it.

Last edited:
here it is. please be kind, i am not an architect.

Attachments

• deck resize.jpeg
    deck resize.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We looked at retractable awnings at one point (not Sunsetter in particular), but they were pretty pricey especially if you started adding the motors. I ended up building a pretty heavy-duty pergola that provides decent shade depending on the season and time of day (I used 2x10s for the beams and cross rails so there is a lot of angle coverage), and I have a mesh/screen type thing that can go over the top if there isn't enough shade. It took me a little longer than I would have liked to build because it is free-standing so I basically had to pre-cut everything, paint it, and assemble it on the ground in the driveway to make sure all the notches lined up before lifting each piece up. But the end product is pretty sweet.

here it is. please be kind, i am not an architect.

leprechaun_sketch.jpg

I was going to upload the pic like you did above. You're in a tough place with it only being a 12x12 deck. A tent might be your only option. For something that size and layout, I wouldnt suggest a sunsetter style awning. What makes it most problematic is the corner entry door. The awnings have diagonal railings for support that would have to go across the entry door, regardless of which side you put it on. Our tent is a 10x10 and we've got it on a 12x28 deck. Its almost too large for our space.

I was going to upload the pic like you did above. You're in a tough place with it only being a 12x12 deck. A tent might be your only option. For something that size and layout, I wouldnt suggest a sunsetter style awning. What makes it most problematic is the corner entry door. The awnings have diagonal railings for support that would have to go across the entry door, regardless of which side you put it on. Our tent is a 10x10 and we've got it on a 12x28 deck. Its almost too large for our space.

I am just estimating 12 x 12. Its actually not square, maybe its 14 w x 12 d. Regardless, if I went with an awning, it would be one that had the lateral arms, not the diagonal railings.

Back