• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Super Bowl --- Wake similarities

MrBojangles

Reaction score
I feel for all of the Falcons fans out there, who are not already Wake or NC State fans. Last night's game was a perfect example of bad playcalling (or execution) leading to the "snatching of defeat from the jaws of victory."

Both Wake and State have perfected this tactic, but the Falcons pulled it off on a much grander scale than either of us ever have.

Dirty birds, I feel your pain.

Falcons and Wake fan here. This one is gonna sting for a long while. Ouch.

Yep, ATL really wakeforested that one. :eek:

Made Lobo look like a good OC.

When will all coaches trash the prevent defense? All it does is prevent victory! No pressure on Brady the whole 4th quarter. Couple that with defenders playing off and no one in the middle and you have the recipe for disaster. We have seen it too often at Wake. You would think a DC who makes over a million a year could figure it out.

It reminded me of the feeling of dread I had in the pit of my stomach when the Panthers nearly blew that big lead against the Seahawks in last year's divisional round. Except it actually happened. In the Super Bowl.

The one difference between that collapse and a Wake collapse was the sack they took to knock themselves out of field goal range with a chance to go up 11. They were too aggressive there. The Wake Forest way to do that would have been to run into the line three times and then miss the field goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When will all coaches trash the prevent defense? All it does is prevent victory! No pressure on Brady the whole 4th quarter. Couple that with defenders playing off and no one in the middle and you have the recipe for disaster. We have seen it too often at Wake. You would think a DC who makes over a million a year could figure it out.

To be fair, the Atlanta D had to be gassed late in the fourth. The screwups on offense were compounded by the defense having to be back on the field so much down the stretch. Then they were unlucky with the coin toss in OT.

To be fair, the Atlanta D had to be gassed late in the fourth. The screwups on offense were compounded by the defense having to be back on the field so much down the stretch. Then they were unlucky with the coin toss in OT.

I hate the NFL overtime rules. Give both teams a chance with the ball. Just too worried about the game running too long for TV

Unfortunately for the Eagles, Wake Forest would never look back, holding the lead for the rest of the game and getting the 71-56 victory. After the game, Wake Forest head coach Jeff [Redacted] spoke about how his team was determined to get back on track against BC. “Immediately after our game against
Duke, in the locker room at Cameron, we talked about Boston College and about how this game was our Super Bowl,” [Redacted] said.

SO THERE OP

It's not on the defense. Atlanta's signature is their offense with their "MVP" QB. They didn't do a thing the last 25 minutes. They scored 21 points and choked away the game when in position to go up 11 with about 3 minutes to go. The defense had nothing to do with losing this game, yet there is always the cliche complaint about prevent defenses.

How many chances did the Falcons have to score after going up 28-3, including after recovering an onside kick on New England's side of the field? You really think the coin toss mattered? They choked it away and were gonna lose either way in OT IMO.

I totally get that on the defensive side of the ball you have to go all-out on every down b/c you don't know where the play is headed. But it's worth noting that while the Falcons defense was gassed after being on the field for 99 plays, the Patriots offense was also on the field for the same number of plays, so there had to be some fatigue there as well.

How many chances did the Falcons have to score after going up 28-3, including after recovering an onside kick on New England's side of the field? You really think the coin toss mattered? They choked it away and were gonna lose either way in OT IMO.

I do in the sense of Atlanta's D having to go back out on the field at the start of that period. Obviously conjecture, but if Atlanta wins the toss and can maybe put together a drive for nothing else than to give their D some minutes it certainly would have helped.

I totally get that on the defensive side of the ball you have to go all-out on every down b/c you don't know where the play is headed. But it's worth noting that while the Falcons defense was gassed after being on the field for 99 plays, the Patriots offense was also on the field for the same number of plays, so there had to be some fatigue there as well.

I mean sure they might have been tired physically, but when you're the team mounting the comeback versus the team falling apart, I think the time on the field is more of a negative for the latter.

No pressure on Brady in the 4th quarter and sitting right at the 20 yard line with 5 minutes to go--all that was needed was a FG to seal the win with an 11 point lead and Ryan takes that huge sack. Just freaking run the ball, use all the clock and win the game! Total choke on a dirty bird wing!

Coleman getting injured really hurt Atlanta because it led to both the strip sack and the loss of a decent running game. I think that's why they didn't stick with the run when up by 8. The D was clearly gassed by the 4th. The O is what let them down.

As a Falcons and Wake fan, the part that reminded me the most of some recent Wake debacles wasn't just the impending sense of a comeback - but the way it happened. Brady threw 3 or 4 terrible passes in their last two drives. When he almost got sacked near the endzone and just threw to nobody the Falcons defender fell down or it's another pick 6. Then you get the tipped ball that manages to avoid 3 Falcons defenders nearby but drops perfectly into their RB's hands. Then you have the forced throw into double coverage that touched 2 Falcons players before somehow getting caught by Edelman. Brady made some great throws and the direct snap 2 point conversion was an awesome play call, but they had some unbelievable luck to help make it happen as well. Capped off by winning the coin toss (of course they did).

It was like the UVA banked in 3 from last year. It somehow felt both impossible and inevitable at the same time. Watching it unfold was like ending a bad run in black jack by pushing all your chips in with 20 on a dealer showing 5, knowing you'll lose somehow, but still being amazed when he turns over a 2, then draws 2-4-3-5.

But it all starts somewhere, and after the Julio catch I don't care how tired or ineffective your O-line is. You run it 3 times right up the gut for a few yards and kick the goddamn field goal. I'm usually the last person to blame a loss on coaching decisions, but that was just horrible. Absurd lack of awareness not to value the 3 points there.

It reminded me of the feeling of dread I had in the pit of my stomach when the Panthers nearly blew that big lead against the Seahawks in last year's divisional round. Except it actually happened. In the Super Bowl.

The one difference between that collapse and a Wake collapse was the sack they took to knock themselves out of field goal range with a chance to go up 11. They were too aggressive there. The Wake Forest way to do that would have been to run into the line three times and then miss the field goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bolded is so true it causes me physical pain.

Wake would never have choked like the Falcons did. It would be like Wake losing a basketball game to an ACC opponent in the last minute after being up by 10 points. Would never happen.

Back