• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Super Bowl --- Wake similarities

Wake has won 2 AC tourney wins to my recollection

This falcons collapse is on a whole different level

Ball on 20 yard line with 4 mins remaining:
- Run up the middle
- Run up the middle
- Run up the middle
- Kick game winning FG (up 11) :thumbsup:

Hell, you could even do this: :tard:
- Take a knee
- Take a knee
- Take a knee
- Kick game winning FG (up 11)

It's not on the defense. Atlanta's signature is their offense with their "MVP" QB. They didn't do a thing the last 25 minutes. They scored 21 points and choked away the game when in position to go up 11 with about 3 minutes to go. The defense had nothing to do with losing this game, yet there is always the cliche complaint about prevent defenses.

The Falcons offense went brain dead at that point. Two runs would have taken over a minute off the clock, and would have probably at worst had the ball between the 25 and 30 for a 40 something yard field goal. That is very makeable by NFL kickers. The coaches needed to realize that being up two scores was much more important than being up two touchdowns. If the Falcons score, they most likely (barring a NE recovery of an onside kickd) have the ball and their offense could probably run out the clock.

Falcons should have only been thinking run the football, grind the clock, kick the field goal, win the game.

Ball on 20 yard line with 4 mins remaining:
- Run up the middle
- Run up the middle
- Run up the middle
- Kick game winning FG (up 11) :thumbsup:

Hell, you could even do this: :tard:
- Take a knee
- Take a knee
- Take a knee
- Kick game winning FG (up 11)

and make NE use up their time outs in the process...

The Falcons offense went brain dead at that point. Two runs would have taken over a minute off the clock, and would have probably at worst had the ball between the 25 and 30 for a 40 something yard field goal. That is very makeable by NFL kickers. The coaches needed to realize that being up two scores was much more important than being up two touchdowns. If the Falcons score, they most likely (barring a NE recovery of an onside kickd) have the ball and their offense could probably run out the clock.

Falcons should have only been thinking run the football, grind the clock, kick the field goal, win the game.

Yes, definitely, but if you do call a pass play (even if that's a debatable or bad idea), you expect your "MVP" QB to know that he can't take a sack under any circumstance. There are situations like that all the time during games - they are not rare. Sometimes it has to do with FG position, sometimes it has to do with the clock. QB's need to know the situation and certainly you'd expect your MVP QB to not screw it up. All it cost them was a championship and it's doubtful they'll even be in the playoffs next year. it takes a long time to get over a SB loss.

The Wake example that comes most readily in mind for me is the 2005 debacle vs. West Virginia. Wake was the #2 seed, WVA #7. Wake dominated the first half and was up 40-27 but it wasn't even that close. I don't remember what our biggest lead of the game was or when they started a comeback. I do remember watching the game at a sports bar in Marietta GA with some other Deacon fans. No one was paying attention to the game after the first half. It was over. I don't remember what our biggest lead of the game was or when they started a comeback. I kept trying to get people to focus on the game to no avail. Wake lost in 2 OT's.

I can't imagine Wake gagging away a national championship in Houston.

The Wake example that comes most readily in mind for me is the 2005 debacle vs. West Virginia. Wake was the #2 seed, WVA #7. Wake dominated the first half and was up 40-27 but it wasn't even that close. I don't remember what our biggest lead of the game was or when they started a comeback. I do remember watching the game at a sports bar in Marietta GA with some other Deacon fans. No one was paying attention to the game after the first half. It was over. I don't remember what our biggest lead of the game was or when they started a comeback. I kept trying to get people to focus on the game to no avail. Wake lost in 2 OT's.

Still so very painful to me. :tear:

Back