• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Suspension/Arrest Thread (No New News)

The only difference between now and 10 years ago is our athletes seem to be getting caught, don't think they're actually doing anything differently. We used to get weed from a starter on the basketball team.

Culture change.

Weird to see Dan accused of actually reporting on Wake sports.

Not much of a column. As usual, he blames the players and takes the easy way out. What is happening in the program so that 8 players don't care enough that they risk throwing away a game?

Smoking weed is as much of an individual action as gun play or theft. That's a poor excuse. You've got to put this in context with the other suspensions and players who got kicked off the team. Wasn't Chase suspended for weed as well? Got to think about the transfers as well.

I'm more and more convinced that other schools just don't care that this occurs. I know a ton of football guys that smoke at Wake so it's not surprising that this happened, just that they're suspended. Lowe and Bolling is one thing, the other six getting suspended after taking a test most programs wouldn't require during the season is what sets Wake apart from other schools.

I'm more and more convinced that other schools just don't care that this occurs. I know a ton of football guys that smoke at Wake so it's not surprising that this happened, just that they're suspended. Lowe and Bolling is one thing, the other six getting suspended after taking a test most programs wouldn't require during the season is what sets Wake apart from other schools.

That our players are so stupid that they get caught doing something that they've been told repeatedly not to do is what sets Wake apart from other programs.

It's pretty easy not to get caught when the NCAA/team doesn't drug test you during the year now isn't it though?

................. I know a ton of football guys that smoke at Wake so it's not surprising that this happened, ......

'that smoke' or 'smoked', present or past tense ? Are you a student now? I assume 'a ton' is a lot more than eight. So, how much of a problem do we have?

'that smoke' or 'smoked', present or past tense ? Are you a student now? I assume 'a ton' is a lot more than eight. So, how much of a problem do we have?

don't ask questions you don't want the answers to

Numbers is right. The only 8 players who have ever smoked weed at Wake got caught due to Wake's specialness.

The same problem every college has: lots of college athletes smoke pot.

How do I sound like a UNC fan in this situation? We suspended the players, I'm not even taking a stance against the suspensions simply saying that the reason this happens at Wake and not other schools is because of our own testing policies. That's just a fact.

Numbers is right. The only 8 players who have ever smoked weed at Wake got caught due to Wake's specialness.

That's not what I meant. The NCAA does not test for weed during the football season. Any positive tests are from the individual university.

"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are," an exuberant Baumgartner told reporters outside mission control after the jump.

That's not what I meant. The NCAA does not test for weed during the football season. Any positive tests are from the individual university.

So Wake is the only program to suspend players for weed? Did this just start or did Wake players just start smoking weed?

So Wake is the only program to suspend players for weed? Did this just start or did Wake players just start smoking weed?

How many players have you seen suspended during the season this year in a major conference for weed that didn't come directly from an arrest? I'm sure there have been some, but I can't think of any right off the top of my head. Most of the time people smoking weed probably doesnt get back to the coaches, this one did so they were drug tested.

The people on here who think that Wake has a weed problem don't know how many college kids in 2012 smoke pot. Wake may have a problem, but on a relative level I'd be stunned if it's any different than most other schools.

So the problem is the suspensions?

I don't have a problem that we suspended them personally and am glad that we're taking a stand, I'm just pointing out that other schools don't typically suspend players when this type of thing occurs.

People can make that decision on their own as to whether or not Wake Forest should be doing this when most other schools aren't.

The completely separate issue is the perception that Wake alone has a bunch of smokers on the team when we just happen to be one of a few schools which suspends for this type of offense.

I don't think anyone has that perception.

The real question is if Grobe and Wellman just found their morality this season.

The real question is if Grobe and Wellman just found their morality this season.

Good question. I'm pretty curious as to whether or not there were other factors that led to the suspensions.

Back