• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Suspension/Arrest Thread (No New News)

I don't have a problem that we suspended them personally and am glad that we're taking a stand, I'm just pointing out that other schools don't typically suspend players when this type of thing occurs.

People can make that decision on their own as to whether or not Wake Forest should be doing this when most other schools aren't.

The completely separate issue is the perception that Wake alone has a bunch of smokers on the team when we just happen to be one of a few schools which suspends for this type of offense.

Why have we experienced unprecedented suspensions this season if everyone smokes weed and has done so for many years? We have the same administration and head coach we've had for over a decade.

The original group will be back for UVA, right?

Why have we experienced unprecedented suspensions this season if everyone smokes weed and has done so for many years? We have the same administration and head coach we've had for over a decade.

that's essentially what we're wondering

And this is the question at hand.

And this is the question at hand.

Some are trying to find fault with Grobe & Wellman over how they handled this, but that would require making the assumption that these Einsteins were suspended for a first offense. I'm not so sure we should assume that this was their first time.

As Dan put it, 10% of our current roster is suspended due to weed. Grobe is in the mountains looking at the fall leaves.

As Dan put it, 10% of our current roster is suspended due to weed. Grobe is in the mountains looking at the fall leaves.

I wonder if the players got in trouble on campus for the weed, so the coaching staff had to publicly punish them, where if they just failed a drug test the football staff would have kept this a lot more private and low key.

Last edited:

Could be some of the players were getting a little too brazen with their weed usage. I mean I don't think my boss would care much if I smoked up every once in awhile at my house but rest assured if I started showing up late to work due to drugs or even showed up on drugs I think a problem would arise between the two of us that resulted in behavioral corrections. That is my guess as to why behavior that previously went unpunished is now being punished. The athletes are getting too comfortable and taking too many liberties. I have not info though.

There was the confusion of the six being on the scout team until later in the week and suspended on Thursday late.

Tyrann Mathieu got suspended a game last year for a non-NCAA drug test in which he tested positive for a legal synthetic marijuana. A Heisman candidate. On a national contender. At LSU. In the SEC.

Let's not play up a supposed Wake moral superiority here with regard to drugs. We probably cheat less than other schools, but don't act like everyone else is just letting their guys smoke weed.

Reactions: BDL

With the stress he is having to endure I don't blame him.

For the record, here is a link to the section of WFU's Student Athlete Handbook that is relevant to this discussion. It does not lay out the specifics of any testing program and penalties, but it does state that "Drug testing by the Wake Forest University Department of Athletics may be conducted throughout the year."

Department of Athletics - Substance Abuse Program

God forbid Grobe have a life outside of work....

I have no idea if this was their first positive drug test or their 3rd but I am not going to attack Grobe for suspending them for breaking the rules. Marijuana should probably e legalized but it's not and at the very least have some self control and don't use during the season.

Back