• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sutton Sports Performance Center Catches Fire At Wake Forest University

Non-white enrollment has certainly increased. However First-Time Freshmen Black Enrollment:

Fall 2017: 7.0%
Fall 2016: 6.6%
Fall 2015: 6.4%
Fall 2014: 6.3%
Fall 2013: 6.1%
Fall 2012: 6.6%
Fall 2011: 6.8%
Fall 2010: 6.6%
Fall 2009: 9.7%
Fall 2008: 7.2%
Fall 2007: 6.4%
Fall 2006: 6.4%
Fall 2005: 7.9%
Fall 2004: 5.4%
Fall 2003: 6.0%

Data from WFU Fact Book

Right. I'll make the point again that Allman is the Dean of Admissions, iow the school's VP of Sales. She is not the CEO or the VP of Product Development. WFU appears to have had a fairly flat level of appeal to black students over the past 15 years. I guess you could try to spin it differently and blame her, but the point remains that there's only so much she can affect, regardless of some picture she was in almost four decades ago.

On October 10, 1970 I attended the Wake/VT football game at Groves along with an announced crowd (according to Wikipedia) of 18,500. At halftime the VT marching band performed a rousing rendition of "Dixie", as I recall much to the delight of the mostly Wake fans in attendance. Every member of that band should be identified, and if they are in any position (private, public, volunteer) that remotely impacts the life of another individual (or heck, let's thrown in the defenseless animals), they should first apologize, tell how they understand much better in 2019 than 1970 how Dixie and other symbols of the confederacy are insensitive and racist, and explain how over these past 39 years they have grown as a person. If they're willing to do that, then they should be allowed to continue to function as a member of society, assuming they serve a suspension and/or attend diversity and bias training. In addition, if there are records of those in attendance that day (we could start with The Howler for that year and its listing of our own cheerleaders, marching band etc.) and possibly aided by crowd photos and current face recognition technology, we could query those individuals as to their reaction on that day to the playing of Dixie. Sitting in silence, or clearly, cheering or applauding, would subject that individual to the same scrutiny as the VT band members. And for folks like myself, "I don't recall" is not an excuse; in fact it's an assumed admission of guilt.

Right. I'll make the point again that Allman is the Dean of Admissions, iow the school's VP of Sales. She is not the CEO or the VP of Product Development. WFU appears to have had a fairly flat level of appeal to black students over the past 15 years. I guess you could try to spin it differently and blame her, but the point remains that there's only so much she can affect, regardless of some picture she was in almost four decades ago.

You know what’s a great way to appeal to potential black students? Shrug your shoulders when a photo comes out of your admissions director posing proudly in front of a symbol of racism.

On October 10, 1970 I attended the Wake/VT football game at Groves along with an announced crowd (according to Wikipedia) of 18,500. At halftime the VT marching band performed a rousing rendition of "Dixie", as I recall much to the delight of the mostly Wake fans in attendance. Every member of that band should be identified, and if they are in any position (private, public, volunteer) that remotely impacts the life of another individual (or heck, let's thrown in the defenseless animals), they should first apologize, tell how they understand much better in 2019 than 1970 how Dixie and other symbols of the confederacy are insensitive and racist, and explain how over these past 39 years they have grown as a person. If they're willing to do that, then they should be allowed to continue to function as a member of society, assuming they serve a suspension and/or attend diversity and bias training. In addition, if there are records of those in attendance that day (we could start with The Howler for that year and its listing of our own cheerleaders, marching band etc.) and possibly aided by crowd photos and current face recognition technology, we could query those individuals as to their reaction on that day to the playing of Dixie. Sitting in silence, or clearly, cheering or applauding, would subject that individual to the same scrutiny as the VT band members. And for folks like myself, "I don't recall" is not an excuse; in fact it's an assumed admission of guilt.

Sounds good to me.

You know what’s a great way to appeal to potential black students? Shrug your shoulders when a photo comes out of your admissions director posing proudly in front of a symbol of racism.

She apologized. She’ll be gone from the post in less than six months. Also it’s crunch time in the admissions office.

She did something stupid back in college. Since, she's seemed to have shown she's not that stupid anymore. When confronted with her past, she apologized. I'm good until she shows some further evidence of being a racist. Carry on, lady who did something stupid when you were a kid.
Should Wake be satisfied with an apology or should the school dig in further?

Should Wake be satisfied with an apology or should the school dig in further?

I'm guessing she's probably not still a KA sweetheart, but maybe it's one of those titles you get to keep for life.

Thanks for sharing.

so do some of y'all believe that casual racism was so rampant in the 1970s that you can't hold anyone accountable because times were different

and

things have progressed so much in 40 years that institutional racism isn't a problem?

so do some of y'all believe that casual racism was so rampant in the 1970s that you can't hold anyone accountable because times were different

and

things have progressed so much in 40 years that institutional racism isn't a problem?

Link?

You need to qualify the first part of your post. Racism was rampant in certain parts of our campus but not all.

and

Mostly yes to the first part and I'd add the 80's as well.

and

Sure we'e progressed but have a long way to go. Putting away the confederate flag is part of that as it emboldens a racist or soft racist status quo.

To a degree, yes. Would she have all this criticism if she posed in 1982 for a picture in front of the General Lee? I doubt it, but it is the same image. I wouldn't hold someone accountable for casually saying "retarded" in the 70s/80s, but I get pretty annoyed when someone says it now.

Back