• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Swank Signs with the Jags.

Great news. Panthers could use him. The panthers could use Betty White on FGs over Mare, though.

Great news. Panthers could use him. The panthers could use Betty White on FGs over Mare, though.

We went to their game against the Vikikngs last year & had a chance to force OT with a short FG & Mare shanked it. Newton did a great job of leading the team down the field only to have Mare crush the spirit of all Panther fans in the stadium.

Can't believe Mare is still in the league. I feel like he was kicking for the Dolphins 20 years ago.

This happens every year. Scobee had the franchise tag placed on him. He will be cut but glad to see him out there having a chance.

It must be a pretty interesting life to be a guy like Sam Swank. Every year he gets picked up by someone (but of course cut before rosters are finalized), so he must work pretty hard to stay in shape. I'd be curious to know how much time a day he spends kicking and keeping himself in shape so as to have those opportunities. Does he have another job? It must take a helluva lot of perserverence. Dude should keep a blog or write a book or something.

Needless to say, I hope it works out for him. Swank is the man.

I wonder why he's not sticking anywhere, especially since that Tarhole Conner Barth made it.

It must be a pretty interesting life to be a guy like Sam Swank. Every year he gets picked up by someone (but of course cut before rosters are finalized), so he must work pretty hard to stay in shape. I'd be curious to know how much time a day he spends kicking and keeping himself in shape so as to have those opportunities. Does he have another job? It must take a helluva lot of perserverence. Dude should keep a blog or write a book or something.

Needless to say, I hope it works out for him. Swank is the man.

He played in the UFL for a bit. I imagine a young guy can stretch out some NFL camp checks. I'm sure he's married by now. Wife probably has a job. I'm curious how many tries he's going to give it. He's either looking to beat out an NFL veteran or enough injuries to give himself a spot on another roster.

I talked with Sam and his wife at the spring game on Saturday. He said he was working as a personal trainer, didn't mention any recent workouts with NFL teams. He did say that the leg feels good.

He's a really good guy-great family too. I hope he sticks with the Jags. It would be pretty cool to be able to play for your hometown team.

I met his then fiance or wife and family at the '08 FSU game. Real nice family. We were all stunned how much he struggled that game.

Swank wasn't crazy accurate in college. He hits some big FGs for us, but he missed some makeable ones too. And in the NFL, you can't miss many makeable ones and have a job.

Think of how many good kickers come out of college every year and there are only 32 jobs and many or locked up for 15 years by the elite kickers.

Tough profession.

Last edited:
Yeh I'm still surprised how long Gano has been made it on Skins. I always thought he was better punter than kicker. Would love to see Swank make the team though.

Swank wasn't crazy accurate in college. He hits some big FGs for us, but he missed some makeable ones too. And in the NFL, you can't miss many makeable ones and have a job.

Think of how many good kickers come out of college every year and there are only 32 jobs and many or locked up for 15 years by the elite kickers.

Tough profession.

Good point. We remember the game winners, the games where he scored a majority of the points, and the 50 yarders, but he did have misses that would get him cut in the NFL.

Good point. We remember the game winners, the games where he scored a majority of the points, and the 50 yarders, but he did have misses that would get him cut in the NFL.

It's hard to believe in a God, or a GM that would keep Mare in the NFL after last season, and continue to cut Swank for kicks he hasn't even missed yet.

Mare is a perfect example of what I was talking about. His stats last year.

SPLIT1-1920-2930-3940-4950+TOTPCTAVGLNGXPMXPAPTS
TOTAL1/17/76/98/90/222/2878.633.2454445110

Those are great stats, but he missed a couple of makeable key kicks and he has to be seriously worried about his job.

6-9 from 30-39 is unacceptable. I hate Mare so much. Actually used to like him with the Dolphins and in college at Cuse.

Back