• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Switching phone carriers

Just looked. My bill was $17.38 actually. $15 for service and $2.38 taxes and regulatory fees

Anyone go with T-Mobile? How is their network as you don't pay the $40 line charge Verizon makes you pay.

Anyone go with T-Mobile? How is their network as you don't pay the $40 line charge Verizon makes you pay.

I switched from Sprint (after 6 years) to T-Mobile and i've been really happy with it. Sprint's voice and data absolutely sucks in North Carolina and virtually everywhere i've ever been. From my experience, T-Mobile is just as good as Verizon in metro areas, but feels about equivalent to Sprint in rural areas, but i've only used my T-Mobile service in the Carolinas and Georgia so far. While he lived here in Winston RSF switched to T-Mobile from Verizon for a phone (Nexus 5) but then moved to rural Rhode Island 2 months later and T-Mobile is garbage there, that was basically the equivalent of following your high school girlfriend to shitty college and then breaking up during orientation.

Last edited:
T-Mobile is goddamn miserable throughout Rhode Island. I sometimes get 4G in Providence, but it's rare.

T-Mobile is goddamn miserable throughout Rhode Island. I sometimes get 4G in Providence, but it's rare.

You realize that T-Mobile doesn't have contracts, right? You should have sold your phone 3 months ago and switched back to Verizon.

You realize that T-Mobile doesn't have contracts, right? You should have sold your phone 3 months ago and switched back to Verizon.

New Verizon plans fucking suck, though. I spend most of my time on Wi-Fi, and I can get a couple bars for voice when I'm upstairs.

At this point, it's basically me not wanting to give up the N5. I'm hoping the N6 will allow for calls/sms over wi-fi, and then ALL WILL BE GOOD.

I switched last year from Verizon and love it. I'm in Dilworth just a couple miles outside downtown Charlotte but Verizon & AT&T don't have coverage in my place thanks to some weird positioning of their antennas down a small hill from me, so Verizon actually offered to waive the ETF on my family plan rather than give me a discount on a network extender for my place. T-Mobile gets a couple bars when I'm by the window, but really I didn't care because they have the WiFi calling for when I'm home.

Coverage outside my house is great around town and most places I've traveled (Dallas, Denver, St Louis, Cleveland, Hilton Head, Honolulu). LTE the majority of the time and it's blazing fast. You will drop down to "4G" HSPA+ when you're in a more remote suburban area which is still more than sufficient for most needs, and if you're on a long road trip you'll run into spotty coverage in the middle of nowhere.

Free international data and texting is what really will keep me around. Abused it in England and looking forward to the benefit for my upcoming trip to India. Speeds are of course much slower but it's great for GPS, the occasional Facebook post, and keeping up with email.

Price is of course the main motivation for people. I moved 4 lines over from VZW, upgraded 2 of them to smartphones, and dropped my bill about $20. Once the phones are paid off, I'll drop another $80. Although I'm less than a year in and I'm already itching to get the next big thing...

My current plan (and it changes as I read more on this thread and elsewhere) is to buy a Verizon phone from swappa and sign up for Straight Talk. I'm in Mebane, NC and I know how spotty Sprint/Virgin is on my wife's smartphone. Anyone see an issue with this plan?

Ting looked good, but I think if I use my smartphone at anywhere close to normal usage, the bill will be at least the monthly rate of Straight Talk ($45) or Virgin ($35). And they are a Sprint carrier with spotty service where I live.

Last edited:
I'm interested in straight talk as well, but i've read a few articles from tech companies that have tried signing up with a verizon phone and its almost impossible. No (good) verizon phones work on their network for some reason.

I'm interested in straight talk as well, but i've read a few articles from tech companies that have tried signing up with a verizon phone and its almost impossible. No (good) verizon phones work on their network for some reason.

thanks for sharing
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ph...obile-is-ditching-contracts-worth-it--1194370

We attempted, both online and with help from Straight Talk's phone support, to sign up several other Verizon phones, including an HTC One, a Samsung Galaxy S4, a BlackBerry Z10, a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, and still others. None proved compatible.

Things get even worse if you're attempting to migrate from Verizon, and we have to assume Sprint users will face the same problems, since only CDMA phones are accepted from either carrier and there simply is no list anywhere of what phones are and aren't supported.

I would probably just buy a Google play edition phone if I went to straight talk

Are any of the Google play edition phones CDMA?

Actually it appears that StraightTalk does have GSM, too, unless I'm looking at that wrong

Last edited:
Lets say I want an android phone that gets OS updates when they actually get released. What type of phone, network (gsm/cdma), carrier do I need? It shouldn't be this difficult.

Lets say I want an android phone that gets OS updates when they actually get released. What type of phone, network (gsm/cdma), carrier do I need? It shouldn't be this difficult.

Nexus or Google Play Edition, though the Moto X and G have been pretty quick on updates.

I've got a galaxy nexus on verizon right now. It doesn't get updates. It is by far the worst phone i have ever had.

I've got a galaxy nexus on verizon right now. It doesn't get updates. It is by far the worst phone i have ever had.

That's the exception, and probably why Verizon will never again get a Nexus- they screwed it up big time.

This sucks. My Nexus has been a great phone, but I am changing the ROM every few months.

Back