• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Switching phone carriers

For other gnex owners, do you get good cell service? Mine is terrible, both wifi and network seem to be much worse than previous phones (droid x, htc incredible, razr maxx). It's very slow, seems like it is always maxxed out on memory, battery is useless, even the mammoth extended 3500 or 3800 mah. Texting is a disaster. Group texts are the bain of my existence. But that is partly an android issue, just seems to be worse with this phone than the razr maxx.

Are you on stock android from a carrier?

Upgrading my phone to Kitkat did amazing things for my user experience on the GNex. It's really unbelievable. I was in your same boat and really unhappy with it, but I'm fine with waiting for my contract to be up now. I/O performance slowly degrades on the Gnex which is the cause of a lot of the problems you are experiencing. It's a known issue with these phones.

I will still get some issues with switching between 4g/3g and cell service where signal is really low. Sometimes I have to switch into airplane mode and back to jumpstart it.

I'm on verizon with 4.2.2 When you say stock android, do you mean non rooted? If so, yes, i'm non rooted. I'm running Nova Launcher Prime instead of stock launcher.

Really trying to decide what to do when my contract is up next month. I've got to get a new phone, that is obvious. Question is whether to stay with verizon or not. I still have unlimited data with them, until I start a new contract. Which i wont do unless i'm forced to. So i will be buying an off contract phone if I stay with vzw. Or I could switch to straighttalk, ting, virgin mobile. Probably wont switch to real at&t or sprint unless I can't use a "flagship" type phone on one of the discount carriers. Too many decisions.

What's going to be different? I'm off contract now, thank goodness, so I can do whatever the hell I want wrt new phones. Wheeee!

Who knows, but rumors are upgrades on everything (processor, screen size, cameras, voice control software). X was a really solid phone, only knock against it was that the specs weren't quite flagship level, +1 may address that.

Who knows, but rumors are upgrades on everything (processor, screen size, cameras, voice control software). X was a really solid phone, only knock against it was that the specs weren't quite flagship level, +1 may address that.

terrific

I know VRW covers everywhere but TMobile will save me a ton of dough if I go with them as my contract is up. But does Tmobile co.ver the urban joints and the only really great phones they have are S5 and Iphone 5S

For anyone curious, T-Mobile is great in Honalulu ;-)

I know VRW covers everywhere but TMobile will save me a ton of dough if I go with them as my contract is up. But does Tmobile co.ver the urban joints and the only really great phones they have are S5 and Iphone 5S

You might want to check their coverage map. This probably will be best case, coming from their own web site:

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

ETA: Check the specific location(s) you are interested in. Urban joints is pretty non-specific.

Back