• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

T. Woods

I fail to see how that story excuses Woods. Did he punch her in the face? No. But is it OK for any man, let alone a 6-foot-11 man, to shove a woman during an argument? That's not what I was taught. Was it bad luck that she fell off the mattress? Sure. But the fact remains she wouldn't have fallen off if he didn't shove her, something I'd hope that none of us on this thread have ever done to a woman.

It doesn't excuse him, he says as much in the article. However, the people that like to just go around saying that he broke a girl's back is really not fair to Tony. What he did wasn't right, but the initial reports were far too harsh for what happened.

yeah, i am sympathetic to tony for the way this played out in the media, but bzz did what he had to do. after the girlfriend's mom brought the cops into this, bzz had no choice but to suspend and tony made the right call when he got out of dodge. you would have to be crazy to pin this on bz.

i hope Woods gets a shot in the nba. he has an nba body. hopefully his hands caught up to him by now.

Tony with a career high 3.7 rebounds per game! We need that from our senior center. Oh wait, we get the same from our freshman undersized PF in 15 min per game.
I'm sure he'd lead our team in dunks though.

Tony Woods was in no way the fault of Jeff [Redacted]. To say so is irresponsible and just wrong.

Also this seems to be the prevailing opinion: "The origin of Barbour’s back problems couldn’t be determined. She said it may have occurred when she fell out of bed at her dormitory a week earlier."

She had been suffering from back pain prior to this incident and she said as much. She didn't even want to press charges. That doesn't excuse his behavior, but this whole thing was a little overblown IMO. Tony had the chance to come back and didn't (not [Redacted]'s fault) and Tony was responsible for the actions that landed him in hot water.

Tony with a career high 3.7 rebounds per game! We need that from our senior center. Oh wait, we get the same from our freshman undersized PF in 15 min per game.

yes

Just to be clear, my main complaint wrt the media is with the Old Gold and Black. Probably not fair to lump the rest of the media with them.

Also, from what I recall, the Journal reported pretty much as little as possible throughout the sequence of events.

Tony actually 6.9 rebounds per 40 minutes pace adjusted. Devin, Arnaud, and Travis are all far better, but Tony is a better rebounder, by the numbers, than Cavanaugh, Rountree, and Washington.

Being able to throw out a frontcourt of Travis, Devin, and Tony is no doubt better than what we're doing now, FWIW.

FYI, all those pointing out that Tony Woods would not be at Wake are actually incorrect. If he had stayed at Wake he would have sat out a year and this would be his 5th and final year.

Woods made the right call not coming back to this mess that is WF basketball.

We would have been much better off had he stayed.

He was much better off having left.

Thanks for posting the article. How did the media treat him unfairly? They reported the charge and what the police report said as well as ultimately what the disposition was, he plead guilty to one of three counts.

The media just went with what was on the police report, and the police just went off what her mom told them. Therein lies the problem. His girlfriends mother was the driving force behind it all. Had this story came out when it happened, many people here would have a completely different image of him.

Wasn't there an article, maybe from Caulton Tudor, that absolutely slammed Wake because Tony's lawyer was a Wake guy and the judge was a Wake guy and they claimed impropriety? It was an irresponsible article, it embellished the story and made it sound like we got Tony off scot free so that he could still play basketball here. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Wasn't there an article, maybe from Caulton Tudor, that absolutely slammed Wake because Tony's lawyer was a Wake guy and the judge was a Wake guy and they claimed impropriety? It was an irresponsible article, it embellished the story and made it sound like we got Tony off scot free so that he could still play basketball here. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Yes, it became a mob job.

Yeah that the judge went to Wake. It was completely irresponsible. That was just bullshit journalism but that's to be expected by Tudor. IIRC he was represented by Mike Grace, just like most of the Wake guys are.

Yeah, that article caused a shit storm from non-Wake people I knew. They were like "what the fuck is wrong with Wake? what are they doing? This is shady as hell." Tough to take those things back or change people's minds once that stuff is written.

Found a cached article. It was Ed Hardin, not Tudor. read this hit job:

Commentary: Wake's Woods runs legal fast break
By Ed Hardin
Staff Writer

Tuesday, October 5, 2010
updated Wednesday, October 6, 8:56 am

WINSTON-SALEM — October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and here’s a case you might not be aware of.

Tony Woods, a basketball player at Wake Forest, was arrested in September and charged with an assault inflicting serious injury, assault on a female and assault inflicting serious injury with a minor present.

The victim, his girlfriend and a student at Wake Forest, suffered a fractured spine.

Now here’s why you might not be aware of all this: The case has already been resolved.

In what is either an example of efficiency in the judicial system or of an athlete getting preferential treatment, Woods pleaded guilty to assault on a female, and the other two charges were dropped. He received a 60-day suspended sentence and a $100 fine and will have to perform 100 hours of community service, undergo anger management and be screened for drug and alcohol abuse.

Did the sentence fit the crime here? No, says Susan Wies, director of the Victim Services Division at Family Service of the Piedmont, a nonprofit support agency in Greensboro.

“That one concerns me,” she says. “He needs help, and anger management is not what he needs.”

On the surface, this seemed like an easy call. North Carolina guidelines are clear. Woods should’ve been jailed for 48 hours, and the case should’ve been tried to the fullest extent of the system. But that didn’t happen. His attorney, Wake alumnus Mike Grace, called Judge Denise Hartsfield, an adjunct professor at the Wake Forest School of Law and alumna, who made a personal visit to the Forsyth County jail and arranged for Woods to walk away without going behind bars.

Four weeks later, Woods stood before Judge William Reingold, an adjunct professor at the Wake Forest School of Law and an alumnus, and received his sentence. Wake assistant basketball coach Walt Corbean was in court with Woods. The judge told Corbean that Woods would benefit from the structure of the basketball team.

And just like that, it was over.

The victim, 20-year-old Courtney Barbour, has left school and gone home. Woods is awaiting a decision by the basketball program to see if he’s still on the roster. Jeff [Redacted], the new men’s basketball coach, suspended Woods indefinitely when the charges were filed.

“We are suspending Tony Woods indefinitely in order to allow him to devote his time and effort to address the allegations that he is facing,” [Redacted] said in a statement more than a week after police said Woods kicked and pushed Barbour, fracturing her spine while their 8-month-old child was present. “It is also important that Tony have the necessary time to maintain his good academic standing.”

There’s apparently a lot more to this story than we’ve been told. Jim O’Neill, the district attorney in Forsyth County, said his office had spoken with the victim and her family numerous times, and he said the family was more than happy with the sentence.

“We had about a dozen conversations with them,” O’Neill said. “I’m not at liberty to divulge what was discussed, but the family was satisfied with the outcome, and at the end of the day that’s what matters most.”

Barbour couldn’t be reached Tuesday. A spokesman in the Wake Forest University’s registrar’s office said she is no longer enrolled.

On Tuesday, a spokesman from the Wake Forest sports information office said Woods’ status with the team is being evaluated, and a decision will be made in the coming days by [Redacted], athletics director Ron Wellman and Wake Forest president Nathan O. Hatch.

Courtney Barbour was at Wake Forest on an academic scholarship. Her status is she has a fractured spine after an encounter with a 6-foot-11, 250-pound man who will now undergo anger management.

“He’s an abuser,” Wies said. “Nothing about this sounds correct to me.”
Woods was tried and sentenced, quickly, in a legal system filled with Deacons and now we await his status for basketball.

Wies is right. Nothing about this sounds correct.

Back