• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

At some point, Dave Clawson may well leave WFU. I don't see him being remotely interested in this opening. Way too many unanswered questions IMHO.

At some point, Dave Clawson may well leave WFU. I don't see him being remotely interested in this opening. Way too many unanswered questions IMHO.

Just from the BIG Network alone, MSU has a lot more resources than Wake. A hefty salary increase and time to work through the questions could be enticing.

This is probably the best job that Claw would be considered for. They actually have had a shot at a national championship in the last 10 years, have resources, money a full stadium (heck they have enough money to pay Dantonio a a $4m bonus). It's a way better gig than a second tier SEC school as you just have Michigan and tOSU to deal with instead of Alabama, UGA, UF and Auburn. With a gimmick offense he's not going to ever be considered at a perennial power.

Just from the BIG Network alone, MSU has a lot more resources than Wake. A hefty salary increase and time to work through the questions could be enticing.

There's absolutely ZERO argument regarding resources. But, I see Clawson as a very measured person. Going into a very unpredictable situation with some question marks just doesn't seem to suit him.
But, what the hell do I know? He may leave tomorrow.

Seems like those question marks would justify a slow start and the coach will be fine once the restrictions are done.

This is probably the best job that Claw would be considered for. They actually have had a shot at a national championship in the last 10 years, have resources, money a full stadium (heck they have enough money to pay Dantonio a a $4m bonus). It's a way better gig than a second tier SEC school as you just have Michigan and tOSU to deal with instead of Alabama, UGA, UF and Auburn. With a gimmick offense he's not going to ever be considered at a perennial power.

You left out LSU, or is that second tier ?

There's absolutely ZERO argument regarding resources. But, I see Clawson as a very measured person. Going into a very unpredictable situation with some question marks just doesn't seem to suit him.
But, what the hell do I know? He may leave tomorrow.

The most recent figure I could find had MSU with over $120 million in revenue that year (2017, I think). That put them in the top 25 schools in income. We will likely never get an income figure from Wake but you have to assume (based on the ACC publics report) that it is no more than $75-80 million. I have no idea how the MSU facilities compare to Wake's but that's a small part of the equation.

The most recent figure I could find had MSU with over $120 million in revenue that year (2017, I think). That put them in the top 25 schools in income. We will likely never get an income figure from Wake but you have to assume (based on the ACC publics report) that it is no more than $75-80 million. I have no idea how the MSU facilities compare to Wake's but that's a small part of the equation.

Michigan State may have money but they still don't have a football coach. Fickell is fickle. Staying at Cincinnati.

One of the stories says that in addition to collecting his Jan 15 bonus, Dantonio wanted Mike Tressel (nephew of Jim) one of his assistants, to succeed him. Dantonio timed his decision to help make that happen.

Last edited:
One of the stories says that in addition to collecting his Jan 15 bonus, Dantonio wanted Jim Tressel, one of his assistants, to succeed him. Dantonio timed his decision to help make that happen.

Dantonio also appears to have fucked the program sideways hard enough that no one else wants the job. If MSU was a desirable job it would be filled by now. We’ll see if Bo Pellini takes it.

Mike Tressel, definitely not Jim.

I also disagree that MSU is better than a second tier SEC job like Tennessee or A&M. Those schools are raking in top recruits (both in the Top 10), have even more passionate fan bases (and larger/more filled stadiums), and even more money. Meanwhile, MSU is mired in legal/NCAA controversy and can't bring in a single 4 or 5 star recruit.

For Sparty (and Michigan) to be successful, they must be able to consistently get and develop HS talent out of Ohio.

Look for Sparty to target someone with MAC experience and recruiting connections in OH.

Back