• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taking the kids to Washington DC

Wake95

Reaction score
Every time I go to DC, it is on business and I stay right in the city itself. Looking to drive up with the Mrs. and kiddos for a 2-3 day trip to show them the sights. Probably going to do a long weekend in October sometime. Anyway, where would you stay for a trip like this? Outside the city and take the train or hotel shuttle in? Alexandria? Looked at the Gaylord....thought it might be fun for the kids. Open to any/all suggestions.

Last edited:
With Metro track work almost guaranteed on the weekend, I wouldn't want to depend on it to get around. Either stay in the city, or plan to Uber.

Price range is going to determine where in the city would be best.

Hotels like the Gaylord seem to have their own shuttle service with 3 day passes that run in the $25/person range. So, i wouldn't necessarily have to rely on rail service.

I am not opposed to being in the city though. As far as price point... Really not too worried about that. I plan to use Marriott points, which I have plenty. Thus, my only real requirement is that it be a Marriott owned property.

I've stayed several times at the Marriott in Woodley Park. It's right on the red line and walking distance to the zoo. Away from the action but there's a little to do there.

Last edited:
If you will be near dulles airport you should see the Smithsonian's Udvar Hazy museum. 15 to park (free after 4 PM) and you see tons of flying vehicles including a space shuttle and the enola gay.

Hotels like the Gaylord seem to have their own shuttle service with 3 day passes that run in the $25/person range. So, i wouldn't necessarily have to rely on rail service.

I am not opposed to being in the city though. As far as price point... Really not too worried about that. I plan to use Marriott points, which I have plenty. Thus, my only real requirement is that it be a Marriott owned property.

In the city I would go CY Convention Center or the JW Marriott DC. Both are walking distance to the Mall and Museums, and close to the Red Line if you want to go up to the zoo.

Staying at the Mariott at Metro Center for work at the end of the month. Anywhere cool near there besides Churchkey?

Staying at the Mariott at Metro Center for work at the end of the month. Anywhere cool near there besides Churchkey?

Lots of good stuff on 14th. Churchkey is definitely awesome though -- WaketheUniverse and I closed down the place a couple of weeks ago (on the evening of your birthday, in fact).

All within general walking distance:

If you can get a reservation at Bar Mini, do that for great cocktails and cool atmosphere.
City Tap House for bar food and beers.
The Hamilton has free late night concerts on Friday nights.
CityCenter has some newer nice restaurants including Daniel Boulud's DBGB.
Del Campo if you want the meat sweats.

Lots more options if you want to Uber.

Hoping to get away one night to meet up with ILDeac or WaketheUniverse for drinks. Other night have to pick a business dinner spot. Did barmini last year for drinks, that was pretty sweet but not great with my boss.

Hoping to get away one night to meet up with ILDeac or WaketheUniverse for drinks. Other night have to pick a business dinner spot. Did barmini last year for drinks, that was pretty sweet but not great with my boss.

Business Dinner

Proof
Central
Brassiere Beck
nopa
Fiola

If you will be near dulles airport you should see the Smithsonian's Udvar Hazy museum. 15 to park (free after 4 PM) and you see tons of flying vehicles including a space shuttle and the enola gay.

This. I took my boys for July 4th loved the annex.

Udvar Hazy is really cool, but I wouldn't recommend staying out there if most of your itinerary is in the city. Staying near the zoo could be cool, but if you wanna see the pandas, you'll have to go in the morning when they're in their yard since the panda house is closed the next few months while the newborn cub grows up (he's not on public display yet). There's a brand new Marriott Marquis by the convention center and it and the JW are the nicest Marriotts in town.

The Chinatown thread seems to be more your speed. I think it mentions places throughout DC.

All within general walking distance:

If you can get a reservation at Bar Mini, do that for great cocktails and cool atmosphere.
City Tap House for bar food and beers.
The Hamilton has free late night concerts on Friday nights.
CityCenter has some newer nice restaurants including Daniel Boulud's DBGB.
Del Campo if you want the meat sweats.

Lots more options if you want to Uber.

Yeah this nails it, just tack on Churchkey.

Stay in the district; don't rely on metro on weekends. Just uber everywhere.

How old are the kids? A place that's great and in the touristy part of DC is Central by Michel Richard. 1001 Penn Ave NW.

Back