• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tampa Bay Rays Tix?

You guys are killing me. The team is not in Tampa. They are located in a crummy part of St. Petersburg, which has limited access (bridges) to the more populous Tampa/Lakeland areas to the east. Build a stadium on I-4 just west of Tampa and you can draw from all of west central Florida. Being in St. Petersburg has killed the"Tampa Bay" Rays.

Oh shut up. They're called the Tampa Bay Rays, so that's what everyone is going to call them, and sometimes that gets shortened to Tampa.

I guess we should call them the Landover Redskins

You guys are killing me. The team is not in Tampa. They are located in a crummy part of St. Petersburg, which has limited access (bridges) to the more populous Tampa/Lakeland areas to the east. Build a stadium on I-4 just west of Tampa and you can draw from all of west central Florida. Being in St. Petersburg has killed the"Tampa Bay" Rays.

I mean, its not like they don't want to - they have a deal with St Pete that they can't get out of right now - they are trying. And I am guessing you mean east of the city, if you talking about on I-4 somewhere - which I dont agree with - they need to make it a destination place that is walking distance to a bunch of other stuff or easy to get to, there are plenty of Rays fans in Tampa, they are just your average florida fan which is generally lazy (besides the Dolphin fans).

Or they could just be the Expos.

lol at complaining about a $50 seat to Opening Day. For Camden Yards opening day on April 10, the cheapest seat on StubHub is $90 for Standing Room Only.

Yeah lol about not wanting to drop 2 bills to watch a game I just want to go to for 5 innings or so because I happen to be in the area that afternoon

Wait until their 2nd home game...they'll be lucky to draw 10K (unless it's the Yankees!)

I think it was 2013 they sold out the second game against the Os too. Probably varies based on a bunch of variables.

it seems like the rays and o's play every opening day.

it seems like the rays and o's play every opening day.

It's because of the damn Nationals. O's used to open every year at home so President could throw out first pitch.

and also it means that we don't have to travel far from spring training

I live about 10 minutes from the stadium. I'll be there Monday and about 30 other games this year.

The stadium is about a 3 minute drive from downtown St Pete. 20 minutes from Sarasota, 30 minutes from Clearwater and 40 (with traffic) from Tampa. It is right off the highway and there is plenty of parking. It takes less time to go there from Tampa than it takes to get to a Red Sox game from most of Boston, where you can't park anywhere near the place, and the total cost of ticket and parking is about half.

The problem is not really the ballpark, it is (a) too many transfers that root primarily for opposing teams and (b) spoiled Florida natives who would rather watch it while getting drunk on their front porch. And maybe (c) the lack of any public transportation to the ballpark.

(c) is a pretty big deal since you can easily get to a Red Sox game via public transportation.

The problem for the Rays is that all of the growth in the Tampa Bay area since Tropicana Field opened in 1990 is in Hillsboro County while St. Petersburg is in neighboring Pinellas County. Pinellas County has seen a population growth of only about 80K residents since 1990 while Hillsboro County has 450K new residents. Putting the stadium in St. Petersburg made sense when the two counties were roughly of equal population and Pinellas had a much higher population density, but it doesn't make sense any more.

Not that easy from what I've seen and heard...... You ever try to get in one after the game?

Oh shut up. They're called the Tampa Bay Rays, so that's what everyone is going to call them, and sometimes that gets shortened to Tampa.

I guess we should call them the Landover Redskins

shouldn't it be Hyattsville Redskins, or Ashburn Redskins if you want to go off where their practice facility is?

Back