• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tampa trying to force fumble on kneel down: Cheap shot or no?

How is the game over? Down one score. If you force a fumble and take it to the house, the game is certainly not over.

i say so because what are the chances that are you actually going to cause a fumble on what is an obvious kneel down. its not like the giants were lined up in the I-formation in preparation to run a play. if thats the case, yeah go for the ball, good chance of disrupting the handoff to the back or stripping the QB. but when a team is clearly going to kneel it is a simple exchange and immediate knee, your chances of getting to the ball are slim to none. so in my mind as soon as they go into the victory formation the game is over. i'm not saying the Bucs should have just stood with their hands on their knees, you always have to be ready in case something happens with the exchange or whatever, but just telling all of your lineman to dive at the other team's lineman's knees is a little cheap. they can keep doing it if they want, its within the rules, but doesn't change the fact that its a little cheap

Golic (surprisingly) made a good point about this incident this morning. He said the Giants players knew, or should have known, by the way Tampa lined up on the play that they were coming low and hard and not simply giving up. The game's not over, Tampa had a chance to tie or win, play to the end. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Schiano needs to attend the Coughlin school of classiness where he can learn valuable lessons like how to run on the field like a deranged lunatic and assault your own devastated punter.

It doesn't matter what the fans think, the question is how will this be viewed around the league? Seems to me that is what Schiano must be concerned about.

Wouldn't surprise me to see someone run a fake kneel and run it up on him.

Last edited:
When I said "league" I didn't mean the league office, I meant other coaches and players. The NFL doesn't strike me as a welcoming place for new head coaches, especially name college coaches who come in and act unconventionally, whether or not it is technically within the rules. There seems to be an "understanding" among the coaches on certain things. A new coach could make his team the object of unwanted hostility by acting contrary to the established norms. That's what I meant.

completely dick move by TB. Legal and within the rules, but still a dick move.

When I said "league" I didn't mean the league office, I meant other coaches and players. The NFL doesn't strike me as a welcoming place for new head coaches, especially name college coaches who come in and act unconventionally, whether or not it is technically within the rules. There seems to be an "understanding" among the coaches on certain things. A new coach could make his team the object of unwanted hostility by acting contrary to the established norms. That's what I meant.

yeah thats my bad, i misread your first post.

I don't even understand how anyone has a problem with this. Because someone could get injured? Then there should never, ever be a single football play, the game should never be played. The game was not over, they tried to force a fumble. What's the big deal?

within the rules but i say cheap shot

hell if Clemson or UNC or someone tried that against us this board would be flipping out

If Tampa HAD caused a fumble and won the game because of it, today we'd be talking about how gutsy a move it was and how the Bucs never gave up blah blah blah. Knowing that, I can't find a way to have a problem with this. Play until the clock reads 0:00.

Balanced out by a lot of pussies complaining.

I've got no dog in this fight between two teams I really don't care about. I think there's room to say:

1) This was legal, the league has said as much, end of story. Thusly, not altogether unwarranted or cheap in a 1-score game.
2) I know I'd want my coach to stick up for my players if this were to happen to my team. Coughlin is a whiner, but he was sticking up for his guys.
3) District, you so hard.

Ron Jaworski and Mike Ditka side with Schiano.

"There's no doubt that Tom Coughlin owes Greg Schiano an apology for the way he reacted after the game," Jaworski said. "And I will give you a real-life example of why. Remember the 'Miracle at the Meadowlands' with [Giants quarterback] Joe Pisarcik? Very similar play before the Pisarcik-Csonka fumble. The Giants were in victory formation, and Frank LeMaster, our linebacker, fires off [at the snap]. We were taught by [Eagles then-head coach] Dick Vermeil to play until the game is over. All of a sudden, a big shoving match ensues. The only thing the Giants had to do was take a knee, and the game was over. But their coach, Bob Gibson, was on the sideline, angry because of what we did. They called a play to try and get a hit on our defense. Lo and behold, Larry Csonka thought Pisarcik was taking a knee, [Eagles defensive back] Herman Edwards picks up the ball, and we won the football game.

"So, the Eagles win a game, go 9-7 that year, and go to the playoffs, all because of a play that was almost identical to what happened [Sunday]. You play to the end of the game."
"Tom's wrong about this," Ditka said. "You never go out with the intent to hurt anybody, but you do try to get the ball. As soon as the center snaps the ball, you try to create a fumble. Who knows what can happen, as crazy as the game is today? The game's still going on. Greg Schiano is bringing a different temperament to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and I like what he's doing. I really do. They're going to be a good team, because they do the little things. This is not a popularity contest -- he doesn't care what Tom Coughlin thinks of him."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ate-greg-schiano-approach-144657976--nfl.html

I was watching the Sky Sports NFL feed, and Mark Tauscher (former Packer lineman) said he had never seen this happen in a game. When the offense comes to the line, they tell the defense they're kneeling and that's that.

It may be an unwritten rule, but the Coughlin & co. need to understand it's just that: unwritten. Nothing illegal happened.

Back